FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Site Admin
Site Admin

A Blog by - myff admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:59 pm

advert targeting

A work in progress!

0 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:51 am

Swanning off?

When we get our new big server, there will be no room in the rack for it  

Hence Swan or Enterprise will have to follow Andromeda into exile elsewhere in the datacenter.

I had been thinking of moving Swan, but looking at it Enterprise will be the more logical candidate at this stage.

Which kind of begs the question as to whether it is still needed at all? Enterprise only runs 4 virtual servers now, at maximum it us using the equivalent of 2 of its cores.

There is little sense in running it at all unless there is something sensible to transfer back to it following a move.

1 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Most powerful server yet on order

Today I ordered another big new server. This is less than a month after ordering the last one  

The new one uses the latest 6 core X5650 processors, there are two of these in a server and each core is kind of two cores, so we are talking a 24 core server here. It is also clocked faster than the previous servers  

This means we will have unless I'm miscounting, 88 cpu cores and 232gb of Ram on the servers.

4 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Forums on slarti (and Ford)

Tomorrow I plan to shift forum on the slarti server to our newest server.

Forums on Slarti are generally inactive so this should not effect people much.

It has become a pattern that the virtual servers running on our older servers are prone to needing a reboot every few weeks or so. Whereas the new servers manage rather better.

So it makes sense to finish the transition.

After Slarti, the "Ford" forums will be next and last.

3 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Report problem adverts here

From now on any advert issues should be reported in this thread.

We believe the current reports "sky" and "Jeep" are now fixed.

As we use multiple chained advert sources, some annoying adverts are bound to creep in and we will do our best to deal with them when they are reported. Remember adverts are targeted on Countries/Users/forums, so just because you see it, does not mean we do!

The best way to report a rogue advert is if you use Firefox with the web developer addin and then show us the "generated source" of the page posted using "File Attach". That will give the explicit smoking gun on what advertising service is responsible for the advert.

We are aware most people cannot do that, so screenshots, forum links, Country are also ways of reporting adverts, really anything that helps us narrow down where they are coming from so we can get it stopped.

Thank you for your cooperation, we are on your side here, it does us no good at all to have poor advertising.

245 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:56 am

PhpBB3: Better imageset editing

You can now replace/upload direct to the imageset in phpbb3.

Before image uploads went only to your /images directory which made it more awkward to do basic template editing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20 am

Hotblack forum server rebooted

I have rebooted this server giving it more memory and cpu power.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:33 am

Forums on the Wonko server

Are currently the target of choice to get moved to the new server.

I'm tentatively thinking of doing this around 6am BST (GMT+1).

The forums on the Wonko  will be offline for a good couple hours whilst this is done.

18 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Firewall issues

There have been a couple of little outages today related to the firewall systems.

I am afraid I'm expecting a few more glitches in this area, it is becoming more and more apparent that SpamBots are pummelling the servers to a painful degree and so we need to be more proactive on blocking them at the IP level.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm

Forums on the Ford server

I want to get these moved wholesale to the new server within the next few days.

Those of us on Ford (at that includes the support forum have had the short straw for some time now). Ford is the last of the "old" servers to be hosting active forums, and recently it has shared with a mildly growing advert server

The new servers all have much faster processing almost regardless of load.

1 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:15 am

Server not moved :(

Well I guess I learned something in terms of our new server monitoring systems this morning.

But one thing I will never learn is to treat datacenter engineers as the idiots they can often be.

I have had a long discussion with the datacenter down to the details of port speeds about the fact that when the Andromeda server is moved it will need a connection via a datacenter private LAN to the main rack of servers.

Today having shutdown the server it transpires that they say there is no record of that, and that the network people who can set that up will not be around till tomorrow

Fortunately the server was not actually moved and so is now back live where it was.

2 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:05 am

tick tock

What milestone is arriving?  Wink

4 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Big new server on order

Today I spent 7,500 on another big new server

This will give us a total of 64 cpu cores and 184gb of ram  

The first to benefit will be those on Ford (including the support forum) Ford is the weakest of the servers that run forums.

5 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Scary graph

Goes a way to explaining some of the pressure on the servers lately. Pressure that should be relieved for now following a lot of operation tweaks.

The chart is from the UK datacenter that we started migrating to in October, the latter massive rises are a result of the "ad serving lark" that was have got our selves into. There has been quite a painful learning curve there But it is all beneficial in the end.

3 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Free advertising for your forum or business with myff.

This is an offer that you can't refuse.

Supply a 728x90 banner that looks professional and give us a URL to link it to, and if it meets our approval it will become part of the advertising banners myff users see.

So what do you need to supply exactly?

1) The banner. In png/gif/jpg format. It must be reasonable well done.
2) A link to what you want us to advertise. We will either approve this or not.
3) A country delivery limitation preference UK/US etc.

So why are we doing this?

1) We always have done some free advertising for good causes to some extent, so it feels good to extend this out.
2) We do have an ulterior motive as well. We are now in the ad serving business, and serving maybe 1 Billion adverts a month to advertisers who will get rather unhappy if this is not done well. By using a test ad server to serve out freebie adverts to our members and other good causes we can work with a live system where neither the advertiser (the guy who pays for adverts) or the publisher (the guy who shows them, e.g. myff) can complain if things go a little wrong as we work to make a better advert server.

So everyone wins

50 comments have been made on this topic View/Post Comments
Post new topic       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements! All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 9 of 54
Jump to: