FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

Rescuing admin password

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyn142
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 130

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Rescuing admin password  Reply with quote

Hello all

I'm not sure if I have the right section for this question but I couldn't see where else might fit better. I inherited the admin role for a forum (http://tilleryonline.myfreeforum.org/) and carried this out for a few years without any problem. I've since lost touch with the person who set up the forum. Around a year ago I couldn't find the time to administer the forum so passed it on to someone else, a frequent user. I gave him the password to both the admin login on the forum and the email account I set up for the purpose. He - very sensibly - changed both.

I hadn't used the forum for a while and a few months ago a user contacted me to say the forum was not being maintained. I checked and it is littered with spam messages and has pretty much fallen into disuse. I contacted the person I passed the admin role onto and he told me that he had forgotten both the admin and email passwords! He couldn't reset the admin password as he couldn't access the email account either.

I have managed to gain access to the email account by resetting the password myself - I knew the relevant information required as I set it up. I've asked to have the admin password reset but I've received no email, despite trying several times.

So... is there anything I can do? Is this password reset email not being received a known problem? Is there any other way of getting the admin password reset? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I can't think of anything else I can do and it's such a shame to see this local resource in such a state.

Thanks in anticipation.

Martyn Thomas
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92890

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the control panel rather than the admin panel to gain access.

http://myfreeforum.org/index.php?...amp;task=loginforum&Itemid=27

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
martyn142
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks myff admin

I can't login here as I don't know the admin password anymore as I explained. I've tried to have it sent to my email address but I suspect this is the address of the person who orignally set up the forum rather than the current admin? In any case I got no email at the forum admin email account. And I don't have contact anymore with the person who set up the forum.

Martyn
Bravo
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 24320

Add Karma

rated by 32 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the person who set up the forum who'd have the right to access the control panel, not you.

If this is a case of wanting to take over and abandoned forum there is a procedure in place to do that, but it is every admin's right to leave their forum for periods of time and expect it to still be there when they return.

In this case it seems you were given an admin role, you then passed it onto someone else who then also abandoned it.

There's a monumental amount of spam posts on there, seems strange the forum software didn't pick up on it and auto-suspend it.
martyn142
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bravo. So, have you (or anyone else) any idea what the procedure is to rescue an abandonned forum - because that is effectively what has happened?

Thanks for being so responsive by the way.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92890

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procedure is to start a thread on that forum and gain support from member, then link to a thread here requesting ownership change.

Unfortunately if you can't get any of the existing members to back you, and there may of course be a problem contacting them, we cannot make the change.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
symon
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 37350

Add Karma

rated by 92 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/index.php
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right it is overrun with spam, this may make the forum become suspended .

However a quick check lead to this post where the admin has left their email addres, have you tried to contact them using this email.?

http://tilleryonline.myfreeforum.org/Contact_Details_about2693.html
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symon wrote:
You are right it is overrun with spam, this may make the forum become suspended .

However a quick check lead to this post where the admin has left their email addres, have you tried to contact them using this email.?

http://tilleryonline.myfreeforum.org/Contact_Details_about2693.html

Hi Symon

That message was posted by me when I was acting as admin and that's the email address I set up and passed onto to the new guy.

myff admin - that sounds a plan! I'll start a thread and shouldn't have a problem getting quite a few people to post on it. I've had a number of people contact me to complain about the forum as they knew I was running it in the past. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything but hopefully I can now get it back running again.

Thanks for your help and I'll be back soon
symon
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 37350

Add Karma

rated by 92 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/index.php
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum email account is the one posted on that thread if you have access to it then i would try a rest password again and this time check your spam, or blocked email address.
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried resetting it quite few times Symon but don't received an email in the inbox or anywhere else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: