FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

How to add Portals to your forum on the left (phpbb2)
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
Posted:     Post subject:

Ask Mr. Religion
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4500

Add Karma

rated by 3 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

I had some troubles in dealing with double portals but eventually got it to work:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/index.php

Even have it set up for switching between dual and single portals depending upon the page being viewed:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/forum1.php

That said, I have yet to determine why the gallery page view results in an ungodly mess:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/index.php?component=gallery
Nick(NR)
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 21710

Add Karma

rated by 43 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

I'm better than Jose!
online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazobel wrote:
Nick(NR) wrote:
that's unfortunately one of the downsides, the adverts for the system to remain free is between the header and index body, thus the not being lined up as we'd like the fix you say isn't a fix in the normal sense as you'll only have the portals on that one page and would have to make the same edits on any other page you want the portals to appear, unless that's what your after, in which case kudos for attempting to get it looking the way you wanted

the only other way round this that I can think would sanely sort this without portals only being on one page is to have a portal_header and portal_footer tpl files with the header and footer codes and allowing for admin edits and have them inserted between the adverts and index_body and index_body and footer, but to have the files blank by default so no code gets auto inserted if people don't want it, and those that do can insert the header/footer codes into those two files to have them line up correctly without interfering with the adverts

But it is fixed and quite ironically I also have it level which is what I think zipper was asking about too, there is no need for the side menus to appear WITHIN forums or threads, it only needs to show up on the index page ergo editing the overall header and overall footer is a flawed idea. You are applying a portal to every page that way when it really only needs to be applied to one (index) because that's usually all people want

RE-READ IT, my post actually makes perfect sense.

The need for it to only show on the index page is your opinion and yes it's applied to every page because that's the way it was intended, but with a flexible system people can tweak things to THEIR liking, which actually makes my suggestion even more valid and updating the guide to suit easier to understand because people who aren't skill enough aren't mucking about with templates, where as their just adding code to an empty file.

kazobel wrote:
Oh yeah and also I manage to get my portals level which I see this site hasn't manage to do yet....

Really, you noticed, how nice of you to point out something that was intended from the start, oh my what will we do next :\

It's that level of attitude and sarcasm that has seen you put on moderation. Oh and your answer to mr.R's issue is not only wrong, but doesn't address the proper reason for that page and more to the point the component pages from having duplicates and here's why.....

Ask Mr. Religion wrote:
I had some troubles in dealing with double portals but eventually got it to work:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/index.php

Even have it set up for switching between dual and single portals depending upon the page being viewed:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/forum1.php

That said, I have yet to determine why the gallery page view results in an ungodly mess:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/index.php?component=gallery

cms_index_body.tpl is already setup to have portals on the left and should look like this or similar:
Code:
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" border="0" align="center">
  <tr>
<!-- Left Column -->
   <td align="left" width="20%" valign="top">{MYFF.MAINMENU}<br />{MYFF.LATEST}<br />{MYFF.LINKSMENU}</td>
<!-- Center Column -->
   <td valign="top" width="60%">{MYFF.DESCRIPTION}<br />{MYFF.COMPONENT}</td>
<!-- Right Column -->
   <td align="right" width="20%" valign="top">{MYFF.CATEGORIES}<br />{MYFF.POPULAR}</td>

</tr>
</table>

this bit is what you want to whip out:
Code:
<!-- Left Column -->
   <td align="left" width="20%" valign="top">{MYFF.MAINMENU}<br />{MYFF.LATEST}<br />{MYFF.LINKSMENU}</td>

and:
Code:
<!-- Right Column -->
   <td align="right" width="20%" valign="top">{MYFF.CATEGORIES}<br />{MYFF.POPULAR}</td>

oh and don't forget to make the 60% width 100% on the last remaining cell or better yet remove the width from that last cell and it should go full width.
Ask Mr. Religion
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4500

Add Karma

rated by 3 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick. Your fixes worked as stated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: