FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

News Fader Portal Guide (Updated 19 June 2008)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pariah
Student
Student

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: News Fader Portal Guide (Updated 19 June 2008)  Reply with quote

Ok, this guide has been updated due to a fix to allow links, you can see a live example at my site http://portalogy.myfabforum.org

Here is a guide that will hopefully help everyone with the new portal.

1.) Go to your Administration Panel located at the bottom of your forum.

2.) Head to your "Administration Panel". Once you are in there it is time to edit your template. To get to "Edit Templates/Logos" scroll down through your menu and you shall see it under "Styles Admin". Click on "Edit Templates/logos".

3.) Alright you will see a mess of things. (Now if you haven't already registered the "Editor" user please go and log out and make him as you will not be able to proceed with instructions.) Ok now create a template by coping the template you want to edit. By that I mean choose the template from the drop down menu. (Note: You have to add some templates you like in order to see templates to copy. To add templates simply go back to "Administration Panel" and choose "Add" under "Styles Admin" and "Install" some templates.) To show you want I mean by copying a template and making a copied template to edit here is a picture:

4.) Alright your almost finished so just hang on a little bit longer. Once you have chosen your template to copy and have clicked "Submit" as shown in picture go back to "Edit Template/Logo" and its time to edit the template you just created. Here is a picture showing how to edit the template you created:

5.) Once you have followed the pictures instructions you will find yourself in some crazy and confusing stuff. First thing is first though editng your "overall_header.tpl". Now here is a picture showing you how to get to your "overall_header.tpl" to edit it.

6.) Next you will find yourself in a mess of codes. Do not worry this will be fairly simple. Take this code...

for the fadeer to appear on the forum this need to be used:
Code:
{MYFF.FADER}

You can also control the width that it appears by placing it into a table like below and altering the width accordingly:
Code:
<table width="90%" border="0">
 <tr>
  <td>{MYFF.FADER}</td>
 </tr>
</table>

and scroll all the way to the "BOTTOM" of the code and enter in at very end. I repeat the VERY END of the code. Then you may proceed by pressing the "Submit" button.

7.) You will find yourself back at the screen where you first found the "overall_header.tpl". Now it is time to finish this. Here is a picture with the next instructions:

8.) You will find yourself in another mess of codes but this one is REALLY simple. Just select all the code in there and delete it then replace it with...

Code:
<table width="100%" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" border="0" class="forumline" align="center">
<!--BEGIN switch_fader_title -->
  <tr>
  <th height="25" class="thCornerL" nowrap="nowrap">{FADER_TITLE}</th>
  </tr>
<!--END switch_fader_title -->

<tr>
<td class="row1" align="center">

<div id="fscroller" style="font-size: 12; font-family: Verdana,Arial; font-weight: bold; width: 100%; height: 15px; padding: 2px; filter: alpha(opacity=0); -moz-opacity: 0.0;"></div><script language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">
<!--
var iDelay = 2000;var txtColor = "000000";var fContent = [];
<!-- BEGIN fader_row -->
fContent[{fader_row.MENU_NUMBER}-1] = "'<a href='{fader_row.U_VIEW}'>{fader_row.MENU_NAME}</a>"
 <!-- END fader_row -->
var isIE = (document.all)? true : false;var frame = 60;var st = 1;var wait = iCur = 1;var index = iCurMoz = 0;var iDir = false;var frameHalf = frame / 2;var iTimer;var frame_m = frame;var wait_m = wait;document.getElementById("fscroller").style.color = txtColor;function fade(){ if(index >= fContent.length){ index = 0; } document.getElementById("fscroller").innerHTML = fContent[index]; index ++; opacityFade();}function opacityFade(){ var fScroll = document.getElementById("fscroller"); if(frame > 0){ if(frame == frameHalf && wait > 0){ if(isIE){ fScroll.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=" + iCur + ")"; } else { fScroll.style.MozOpacity = iCurMoz; } wait --; setTimeout("opacityFade()", iDelay); } else { if(iDir){ iCur -= 3; iCurMoz -= 0.03; } else { iCur += 3; iCurMoz += 0.03; } if(isIE){ fScroll.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=" + iCur + ")"; } else { fScroll.style.MozOpacity = iCurMoz; } if(frame == (frameHalf + 1)){ if(isIE){ fScroll.style.filter = "alpha(opacity=" + iCur + ")"; } else { fScroll.style.MozOpacity = iCurMoz; } iDir = true; } frame --; setTimeout("opacityFade()", st); } } else { fScroll.innerHTML = " "; frame = frame_m; wait = wait_m; iDir = false; setTimeout("fade()", st); }}// -->
</script>
</td></tr>
</table>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--
fade();
// -->
</script>

Once you have done this click the "Submit" button then follow th next instructions.

9.) Now we are back to the screen with the drop-down menus and "overall_header.tpl" stuff. All you have left to do is click "Make Deafult" the go back to your forum and you shall now have the "News Fader Portal".

To edit the text that fades in and out, go to your Administration Panel and go to portal settings and find fader(should be the last icon) and change each items text, having links was broken for some odd reason, but I've had a rather detailed fiddle and having links on the fader is now possible again due to this fix.

If you have any further questions or comments please pm them to me and hopefully I will be able to answer them.

This was brought to you by Pariah (Admin of anything forums) 2006 and modified in 2008 By Nick(NR).

^^^That is a link^^^
iTouchHackster
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 90

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey can you maybe do one for PhpBB3 because the other sticky for it is down.

Need iPod Touch/iPhone help visit iTouchHackster's Support Forum
Nick(NR)
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 21710

Add Karma

rated by 43 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

I'm better than Jose!
online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTouchHackster wrote:
Hey can you maybe do one for PhpBB3 because the other sticky for it is down.

What other sticky?
iTouchHackster
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 90

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the site was just down earlier you were fixing it thanks

Need iPod Touch/iPhone help visit iTouchHackster's Support Forum
Paintballjack
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 260

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Could not get Portal to show up in Templets Reply with quote

rebornbn.myfreeforum.org

I followed the tutorial and got the News Fader to show up on my page but I could not continue due to it would not show up in the templates. So I could not continue. I am totally new at this but am learning.
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 92900

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have not given us enough information to be able to help you.

We don't know what you have used and you give us no link to where we can see the news fader.

Family Friendly Shareware | | Web Design/Services | Free Forums
Paintballjack
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Admin thank you for the fast reply, What information do you need. What I have been trying to do was add the news fader. I followed the directions on the forum help. Logged in a Editor, went to the template I was wanting to edit. I copied and pasted the information that was given in the tutorial. Looked at my forum page and it stated that the MYFF.NEWS FADER template was not available. I can not seem to get it to appear after I enter the codes at the end of the Overall_header location as directed. I could not find the cms.fader.tpl so I could not continue.

My site is rebornbn.myfreeforum.org. The Template I was wanting to change is myff.rebornbn_2. I hope this helps. And I thank you for being patient with me. You have taught me alot. Being a Police officer makes computer programing seem really hard.

Thank you

Jack
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not clear if you have edited the cms_newfader.tpl file as directed, or what you have in the overall_header.tpl file?

Paintballjack
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I placed this information on the overall header at the bottom as it said

{MYFF.FADER}

That worked, but I could not find the cms.fader.tpl file. So no I did not edit the cms.fader.tpl file
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you created a portal called FADER? If so them there will be a cms_fader.tpl file you can edit.

Paintballjack
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: It worked Reply with quote

Well, I now have the FADER working but now I dont know how to edit it. I told you I was a novice.
Ask Mr. Religion
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 4500

Add Karma

rated by 3 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: It worked Reply with quote

Paintballjack wrote:
Well, I now have the FADER working but now I dont know how to edit it. I told you I was a novice.

You need to use a MENU component to configure the fader now. Here is how I did mine:

1. Go to the Portal Settings page in the admin panel.

2. Select the MENU portal.

3. In the Name: field type the word FADER

4. At the bottom of the page select the CREATE NEW PORTAL Button

5. Now you have a FADER component that you can complete by assigning a Title to it, and selecting whether or not you want that title displayed. Then simply complete the links fields placing text there and a link that will be hyperlinked to the text you type. That way folks can select a news item and be taken to something wonderful and interesting.

6. To make it all happen, when finished with the step above select the Update Portal Parameters button at the bottom of the page and your fader should be working just peachy.

Cheers,
AMR
roycepsam*
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 510

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Support
The link to our forum is : http://urhitworldwide.myfreeforum.org/index.php

I have tried to put all codes in and everything seems to be working, but cannot find an area for posting message or news.
Just showing UNDEFINED.....fading in and out
Royce
myff admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 281 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see:

Code:

<!--BEGIN switch_fader_title -->
  <tr>
  <th height="25" class="thCornerL" nowrap="nowrap"></th>
  </tr>
<!--END switch_categories_title -->

on your page, e.g. a mismatch between BEGIN and END, and since it says categories it makes me wonder if you have copied the CATEGORIES portal and not a MENU portal. The FADER works with a copy of the MENU portal.

roycepsam*
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 510

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Admin,
Thank you for your prompt reply,
We are not experienced at this but we have basically copied from above Instruction No( 8 )

We deleted the existing Text and replaced with what is in Instruction No ( 8 )

We look forward to your reply and question what you mean :
"CATEGORIES portal and not a MENU portal"
Roycepsam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: