FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Who is OnlineWho is Online   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  • Welcome

• Open Support Tickets
MYFF Crowd Funding
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Add Karma

rated by members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
Posted:     Post subject:

davecov
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 400

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yankale wrote:

In order to move your data you have to pay anyway. So why don't you pay now?

That is not true. Those who have paid for an advert-free service are getting free exports of their forum if they wish. Others can get an export for a small fee.

Dave
David Halfpenny
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 70

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy cool wrote:
Why was my free forum.org created then ???? Maybe consider changing for Mypaidforum.org......!!!

When MFF was created - some considerable while ago - the Cloud was not on the horizon, as it were.

I feel no need to be indignant about something so way beyond the control of the Developers.

(There are not many people who've escaped paying for a new computer and/or operating system over that period!)

David
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 2750

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiryu wrote:

The standard transfer fee is £60, and previously the admin said he would waive it away in favour of a symbolic payment given the circumstances.

Even keeping to the original £60, there are about 10-20 users willing to pay at the moment. At £10 each, that makes £100-200, so up to 3 times more than even the standard fee, and possibly 5 to 10 times more than a symbolic fee.

My users are happy to pay if it guarantees the survival of the forum. But they are not willing to overpay the database if it's all for nothing, especially as we may incur more expenses later on to find another service and possibly even the technical help necessary to import the current contents.

I will donate over the weekend, either £10 or £20.
But I can't encourage my users to do the same until either it looks like the goal is certain to be reached, or the funding setup gets changed and money is fully refunded if the goal is not reached.
In the latter scenario, I would donate the refund again, to get the database, but my users wouldn't lose money.

As the one who actually brought the idea of CFing, I understand your approach.  But nobody can guarntee that we reach the goal of £10,000.
I see it in a completely different way. Assume the forum is closed on June 30th.  There are about 25,000 forums here and the same amount of admins.
Assume that only 5% want their data to be transferred. Martin makes a nice profit by just closing the forum £1250X60= £75,000.
If only 1% want their data than Martin makes just £15,000. He "asks" for £10,000 to keep it alive. This is a bad business decision.
Why keep a sytem alive for £10,000 if you can shut it down for £15,000 - £75,000?  

Martin (myff owner and admin) is a generous man, but he doesn't want to lose money on a daily basis.
Martin was very generous for 12 - 13 years. He provided a free of charge platform to ~25,000 short and long lived admins.
He was not losing money because he got money from either advertisements or a 45/year feee ads free forum. Once the social media took over,
he is losing money. If you lose money you have to stop the bleeding, and he decided to shut down.

My £100 pledge is a thank you note to show Martin my gratitude for what he has done for me since I started using myff in 2009.
Should we fail to reach the goal of £10,000 I will transfer the data at no additional cost.
I recommend to all admins to do the same: Say thank you to Martin, he deserves it.

To transfer data somewhere else costs £60 + ~5 hours of work at ~£60/hour, unless you do know how to do that. [Time=money]

If we fail to raise 10,000 I have already been offered a free of charge hosting by one of my forum members.  
Make your own calculation and your decision.  

I've done my decision, thanked Martin and donated £100.  If all admins do the same myff  remains a live.

Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecov wrote:
Yankale wrote:

That is not true. Those who have paid for an advert-free service are getting free exports of their forum if they wish. Others can get an export for a small fee.

Dave

You've paid £43/year for an ad free forum for years. The export fee is the minor expense - £60.
You will need to pay someone to properly import your data = 5-10 hours of work, unless
you know how to do it.

I don't know how to do that and pledged £100 to keep the forum alive.
It's very likely that the majority of the admins are in my situation.
If you are one of them why don't you pledge £100 and keep the forum alive?  

Please read my other post above.  

countryboy
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 130

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

countrytalkandtips
online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org

Hi all, I'm afraid I am totally confused and am sure that many of my forum members will be even more so. With respect to you, Yankale this comment has got to be a joke "you can enjoy being a forum admin" and this one isn't so easy "You can send all your members and e-mail or post a global annucement and explain what the wording means". On the face of it the wording is self explanatory but the first question I am being asked is "how and when ?"
In order to find out I clicked on the red link and came to this thread which lists a number of concerns, many of which I share. That will not motivate people to pay. I then thought I'd at least make a donation myself, clicked on the blue "Crowd Funding" link and came straight back to here.
I think MYFF has done a great job over the years so I persisted. I question how many people would do so. I finally noticed the link at the top of the first post (made by your Admin ). Great .
Signing on to Crowdfunder as a guest made me wonder how you would know that the donation came from my own forum ( and would go towards the data transfer if it came to that ). Login with email under which address, any one of mine or just the one I use for here ? And do Crowdfunder get a record of my password? Either way my earlier question arises. I gave up.
Despite that I put a post on my own forum explaining that I had not put the red message up there without prior warning. I would clarify it before the forum might be closed down in June ( your post of 23 March "If the myyf is shut down by the end of June as promised") . That would give me plenty of time to explain the options and encourage members to contribute. Then I remembered seeing that the Crowdfunder site says "Your card will only be charged on 19th April 2017 if the project is successful ".  That suggests to me that your decision will be made in less than one month from now . What is the deadline for us to act ?
I do not intend this to be a personal attack on you, Yankdale, and apologise if it comes across as such. I'd just ask you to bear in mind that broadband hasn't even reached some parts of this country and many of us are not at all tech savvy.
May I make a couple of suggestions ?
Your Admin's post makes the situation very clear. His/her request for funding is well put. All it needs is A/ to make it obvious that the Crowdfunder link is the one to use, B/ to clarify how donations will be linked to individual forums and C/ keep it separate , giving just a link to any further dialogue. Perhaps better if A/ and B/+ C/ are under (2) separate posts themselves. Forum Admins can then simply copy & paste , adding  a note of their own to encourage support.
Sorry to bang on . Hope this has been constructive.
ATB
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello country boy!

[...With respect to you, Yankale this comment has got to be a joke "you can enjoy being a forum admin"...]

==========================

Many of us use myff for  business.  I believe you are one of them.

Other admins use it for pleasure. There are forums run by kids.  My comment was sort of a joke and my appologies if you were offended.  

Your comments very good.   I hope Martin comes here soon and implement them. The link to making the actual donation is at the top
of Martin's first post on this thread.

Here it is again:  MYFF CF

We have now 27 days left to complete the CF - April 17.
countryboy
Novice
Novice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 130

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

countrytalkandtips
online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for quick reply, Yankdale . No, I am not a business user , am just running a small forum for the benefit of country folk living in the back of beyond, as I am . It keeps me amused and I learn a lot from the others. I am not tech savvy but spent a lot of time user-testing an expensive mainframe system and getting it to work. I found that there is often a wide gulf between what programmers think it should do vs what the end user actually wants it to do . The only hassle I get on my forum arises from a troll who has plagued it for years . MYFF support has been first class on the few occasions I have asked for it.
I took no offence and I'm glad you didn't.
All the best.
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Country Boy.

We all share a mutual feeling: We got a top class forum an service.
Hope we get to keep myff alive.
Mav_polski

Virtual Cash: 10

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Contribution Reply with quote

swobodnadyskusja.myfreeforum.org/index.php

contributed 30 pounds .

swobodnadyskusja.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dzien dobry,  Dziękuję  
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
Yankale wrote:
Good morning,

Can you please modify the crowdfunding notification at the top of all forums,
so it is clearly visible? Larger font, bold, color. I'd also add few words. Something like this:

Please help to prevent the forum from being closed.
Crowd Funding.

And com'on good friends you can do much better!!. I thought that  20 admins can easily raise
2,000 in no time and promote the crowd funding among our users. We can do much better!
We've got great service in the past 12 years. Consider your donation not just as payment towards
keeping the forum alive, or a donation to move your data, but rather a great thank you for years of good service!

its pointless your flogging a dead horse we are never going to raise 10 thousand pounds never.

Your encouragement is appreciated. Why don't you donate?
davecov
Apprentice
Apprentice
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 400

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankale wrote:
davecov wrote:
Yankale wrote:

Dave

You've paid £43/year for an ad free forum for years. The export fee is the minor expense - £60.
You will need to pay someone to properly import your data = 5-10 hours of work, unless
you know how to do it.

I don't know how to do that and pledged £100 to keep the forum alive.
It's very likely that the majority of the admins are in my situation.
If you are one of them why don't you pledge £100 and keep the forum alive?  

Please read my other post above.  

I was pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement.  I wasn't needing a lecture from you on what I do with my forum or my money.

Dave
Yankale
Craftsman
Craftsman
FLAG

Add Karma

rated by 1 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Have a great weekend!!!  
Gerry ukaf
Student
Student
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 530

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Have pledged, though we'll probably move (one of our members has offered us space on his servers) and so we'll also pay for the move from the shop.
This site has been a great place to start - I'd never have made a forum without it.
Hope everything works out well for you.
Gerry
Shiryu
Pupil
Pupil
FLAG

Virtual Cash: 330

Add Karma

rated by 0 members
Add Comment
Show Comments

online/offline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankale wrote:

As the one who actually brought the idea of CFing, I understand your approach.  But nobody can guarntee that we reach the goal of £10,000.
I see it in a completely different way. Assume the forum is closed on June 30th.  There are about 25,000 forums here and the same amount of admins.
Assume that only 5% want their data to be transferred. Martin makes a nice profit by just closing the forum £1250X60= £75,000.
If only 1% want their data than Martin makes just £15,000. He "asks" for £10,000 to keep it alive. This is a bad business decision.
Why keep a sytem alive for £10,000 if you can shut it down for £15,000 - £75,000?  

Martin (myff owner and admin) is a generous man, but he doesn't want to lose money on a daily basis.
Martin was very generous for 12 - 13 years. He provided a free of charge platform to ~25,000 short and long lived admins.
He was not losing money because he got money from either advertisements or a 45/year feee ads free forum. Once the social media took over,
he is losing money. If you lose money you have to stop the bleeding, and he decided to shut down.

My £100 pledge is a thank you note to show Martin my gratitude for what he has done for me since I started using myff in 2009.
Should we fail to reach the goal of £10,000 I will transfer the data at no additional cost.
I recommend to all admins to do the same: Say thank you to Martin, he deserves it.

To transfer data somewhere else costs £60 + ~5 hours of work at ~£60/hour, unless you do know how to do that. [Time=money]

If we fail to raise 10,000 I have already been offered a free of charge hosting by one of my forum members.  
Make your own calculation and your decision.  

I've done my decision, thanked Martin and donated £100.  If all admins do the same myff  remains a live.

Yankale, I understand where you are coming from, but we are talking at cross-purposes. You are counting more on relatively large admins' donations, whilst I believe is smaller users' donations that might just do the trick. Looking at the CF page, yours is by far the largest donation. I respect and admire that, but I'd be vastly surprised if that turns out to be the majority, especially considering the GBP is a strong currency even in these Brexit days and the conversion rate is not favorable to foreigners. As it stands, the current structure is preventing people from donating, the exact opposite of what should be achieved.

What would be wrong with refunding the donations if the goal is not achieved? Those of us who want to migrate would donate again for the database, but wouldn't overpay it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Crowd Funding All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: