Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Wonko forum server

Well on the route to being set up

So ford, slarti, zaphod, jeltz and wonko and one more to go, probably will start on the last one when wonko is actually running a few forums.
Myles

Hi Admin,

What does all this forums moving servers lead to, are the forums being moved around so other servers can be reconfigured to load the forums faster, and then the forums are moved back to the newly reconfigured server?  

Or is it housekeeping?

My forum is currently showing wonko in the url.
myff admin

It is explained else where, but when we got our new server last year I failed to realise that getting our own IP subnet would make future reconfigurations far easier for everyone   So now we have that subnet and another big new server we are having to do one last move to get everyone onto our own subnet.
So essentially last years big new server is being emptied onto this years new big server and then it will be moved over to the new subnet and new forums will probably be created there.
In future if forums need to move servers on mass, they will because of the subnet be able to make the move without all the fuss and bother.
Myles

Thanks M.

I remember reading late last year that certain developments would lead to much faster forums possibly in 2010, has this be done or are the forums due to get even faster at some stage in the future?

I'm not complaining as my forum seems very fast anyway, i'm just curious.
perthtruebluetwo

hi admin,

i notice our forum has moved onto the wonko forum server,

does this mean we have to ping our forum again and change the ip address on the everydns site?

www.rangersonlineloyal.co.uk
myff admin

In a word yes.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
In a word yes.
Ok thanks admin , much appreciated quick reply, my ip has now been changed on everydns.
SRSeditor

myff admin wrote:
In a word yes.

Might have been nice if I'd been told the same. Been waiting for things to just work themselves out, but of course, new server... new IP!

Doh!
myff admin

The vast majority of people are on our own nameservers and need do nothing.

Frankly those than maintain their own records are meant to realise that a server move is an IP change and that this means they have something to do.

Though having said that, we should probably have some kind of email alert to all domains with a domain mapping just in case.
SRSeditor

myff admin wrote:
Though having said that, we should probably have some kind of email alert to all domains with a domain mapping just in case.

I sure would appreciate that.

On the outside of all the changes you are making it's hard to know what's going on and  affects it's going to have...

I subscribe to the announcements forum...

Maybe an announcement along the lines of:-

Quote:
New wonko server going online.

If your forum starts to show as redirecting to the wonko URL and manage your own DNS please change your IP to ???.???.???.???

Even if you'd posted up the new IP address I would have twigged.

Please don't take this as a rant, just a suggestion. Forums a hobby for me so only a part time thing and not top of what on my mind  
Lavathing9

Hi, I noticed the "wonko" in my url.  For some reason when I go to my .com domain at:

http://narutorpcenter.com

it goes to:

http://narutorpcenter.wonko.myfastforum.org/

What should I do, or what can you do, or do I have to wait?  Sorry, I'm really bad with URL and domain stuff  

EDIT:  Note, I have my domain through you guys' website, m4webdesign.co.uk.
myff admin

I don't know if this was really bought through us, but it is an anomaly the nameservers are everydns.net and your domain is under our control there manually, I have now updated the records there.

You should really set the nameserver to ns1.myff.org - ns4.myff.org to make things automatic. everydns.net has been taken over and needs to be phased out.
Lavathing9

myff admin wrote:
I don't know if this was really bought through us, but it is an anomaly the nameservers are everydns.net and your domain is under our control there manually, I have now updated the records there.

You should really set the nameserver to ns1.myff.org - ns4.myff.org to make things automatic. everydns.net has been taken over and needs to be phased out.

I am positive I bought it through you guys, but regardles...thanks.
Myles

Some of my members are reporting that posts have disappeared in the last few days.
I've checked the log actions and there's no deliberate deleting of posts.

Would it be possible that posts were lost during a server move?, which wouldn't be a big deal as at least it wouldn't mean a security breech anyway.

Edit: Though one of the admins thinks the posts were still there after the 'wonko' was removed from our url.
editor

The only thing that has hit a few forums is that a move has reverted a forum to an earlier date, losing new posts.
When reported we have flipped the forum back to the previous server.
What posts are meant to be missing?
editor

The only thing that has hit a few forums is that a move has reverted a forum to an earlier date, losing new posts.
Celeste

http://aworldofcats.zaphod.myfastforum.org/

I thought I would wait awhile before posting this since it appears that this is still work in progress.  My IP address keeps bouncing back and forth between the above-referenced link and http://cats-chat.com/ so I am not receiving any e-mail notifications.

Am I to do something here?  Or is there still a waiting period?  My domain was purchased here.  Thank you for your help.
myff admin

If should get sorted now. There was still an old address in the DNS.
Myles

editor wrote:

Sorry about the delay, apparently it was this topic >> http://footballitalia.myfastforum.org/sutra28882.php#28882

It doesn't warrant any moving back of the forum, you've enough on your plate, besides it may be a case where there are in fact no posts missing at all, but rather just imagined. I was only really worried about a security breech i.e. guessing of password.

Just as a matter of interest/curiousness though, if a forum reverted back to an earlier date, would the posts be deleted from all topics, rather than just one topic (while leaving later posts in other topics)? (from your experience)
myff admin

The "reversion" occurs because a complete mysql dump from an earlier date existing somewhere on the export/import road a forum takes when moving. If the code does not delete all such possible files (there are actually 4 of them) then what ends up imported is a complete earlier version of the forum. e.g. there is zero chance of this being at all selective in what is missing, it is a simple reversion to the state of the forum at the earlier export/transfer.

Obviously the code has now been updated so that this should never happen again, things were thrown by there being so many files. forum export, forum export compressed, forum import compressed, forum import.
danm97

Wonko server is down ??
danm97

Forget it,,, its back on

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum