Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Full Tilt Boogie

Which is it: Karma or Add Rating?

http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/index.php

I'm trying to install what on some boards is referred to as 'Rep' (reputation) - you may call it Karma here, but then again you may call it adding a 'Rating' in appreciation of a member's post - that's where the confusion lies.

So which is it?

I've done a search in support and How to for both, and they both have list as long as your arm for both options - and neither are very clear in their resolution or explanation if I'm being honest. Perhaps testament to the sheer number of threads asking the same thing, even after them reading the How To threads...

I'm looking at the Portal and Profile Fields in my Admin field, and if I've one observation, it's that who ever wrote these 'How to' instructions has made a raft of assumptions about the actual working knowledge level of those wanting to set up these features here - and they obviously don't. Again, perhaps testament to the number of fruitless threads getting nowhere and giving up.

So can I please ask - what am I looking for? Karma or adding rating to a member - when what I want to do is award/reward them for a good or humorous post?

Thanks in advance.

FTB.
myff admin

Well howtodoit will only improve if people point out exactly what is unclear, so the text can be worked on.

One of the things about the myfreeforum system is the flexibility. You are not stuck with something saying Karma, instead you have a portal component ADDRATING that handles rating systems, and in the example portals provided an example called KARMA that uses the ADDRATING component is provided to be used, copied or altered to your actual needs.

At the end of the day you need to try and follow a guide, and then ask questions when you have problems highlighting what you have done and what is unclear.
Full Tilt Boogie

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
Well howtodoit will only improve if people point out exactly what is unclear, so the text can be worked on.

One of the things about the myfreeforum system is the flexibility. You are not stuck with something saying Karma, instead you have a portal component ADDRATING that handles rating systems, and in the example portals provided an example called KARMA that uses the ADDRATING component is provided to be used, copied or altered to your actual needs.

At the end of the day you need to try and follow a guide, and then ask questions when you have problems highlighting what you have done and what is unclear.

Agree completely on the 'following a guide' route Admin, it's just that I've read it a number of times, and it's obviously been written by someone who's made the mistake of assuming that his/her audience might have a similar working knowledge of things like coding, templates and profile fields as themselves - when you and I both know that most folks using this support service invariably don't have a Scooby about what's going on in these fields.

So, I've gone through this process a couple of times now and it's not working - a mixture of conflicting/confusing/contradictory instructions and incomplete commands due to the assumption that anyone attempting the process will know about coding, when to add a [ or a { or a /  or a _ to a line...?

And that's before we answer the question: am I starting here http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/about628.html&highlight=karma , or am I in the wrong place all together and should I instead be looking at Add Rating?

And how am I to know? All I know is I want to make it possible for my members to award each other Rep and for it top be visible on their board profile when they post. Now if you can link me up with a How To on that, I'll give it a go before asking any dumb questions.

The worse mistake any techie or support system can make is to assume that its audience is on the same page in terms of knowledge and experience in these matters - when in truth, if it was, then there'd be no need for the support system in the first place. In reality, most people using your tech-support service will be absolute beginners at this malarkey - and assuming any different just creates trial by mismatch and everyone then just gets pissed-off.

So, what am I supposed to be looking for - Rap, Karma or Add Rating? And which links do you recommend
I go to in order to try it myself first?

Thanks in advance.

FTB.
myff admin

Well you are looking at the right guide.

Bear in mind as well that these features are "coding" they cannot be added with a couple of mouse clicks, they do require template editing. template editing is essentially html work and if you don't understand html then they will look like double dutch.

We do recommend people learn a little html before doing these edits.

Also as I said before KARMA/ADDRATING are just different names for much the same thing. KARMA is just an example of the ADDRATING portal component being used.
Full Tilt Boogie

Well you are looking at the right guide.

Cheers Admin - so I'm to start with the Karma link I posted then, right? OK, I'll go back and give it another go.

First off build the three profiles Karma, Karma_Total & karma_Count. It's when the images and .gif and other stuff begins getting tossed in it all goes to hell in hand cart and doesn't work. No doubt I'll be back with questions - with the appropriate links etc. I come from the vBulletin forum s/w, where a lot of these features are achieved via simple drops-down and tick-boxes, so all this coding stuff is new to me.

Admin wrote:
Bear in mind as well that these features are "coding" they cannot be added with a couple of mouse clicks, they do require template editing. template editing is essentially html work and if you don't understand html then they will look like double dutch.

That'd be about right

Admin wrote:
We do recommend people learn a little html before doing these edits.

Necessity being the mother of invention - I'll have to get my head round the basics to make the board a success, until I can find someone locally who knows phpBB, coding and all that stuff and then rattle off a bunch of stuff.

Admin wrote:
Also as I said before KARMA/ADDRATING are just different names for much the same thing. KARMA is just an example of the ADDRATING portal component being used.

Right, as we said above, I'm starting at the Karma link and skipping steps 1 to 5 as I do have a karma folder in portals.

No doubt see ya shortly when it's all gone pear-shaped and I'm just about to roof-test my PC  
Full Tilt Boogie

OK, first off... let's look at your link:

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/about628.html&highlight=karma

Let's start at point 6/6a, I'm creating the first profile 'KARMA' - see screen dump below:

My system must be a later/newer version of the software, or have more default lines in it, as I also have options like 'Link' and 'Format String'? Unless you want to tell me otherwise, I'll ignore these, as there are no suggested actions to take regarding them.

But, when we get to 'Display as Image', we get this line:

"If set the field will be shown as an image. (Example: /ranks/dollar/rank_{KARMA}.gif - pick up the image from a set of ranks). Offsite images must start http://."

Now what do I need to do here? Nothing? Or cut-n-paste "/ranks/hearts/rank_{KARMA}.gif" into that box? And do I repeat that same C&P, in the same image box, for both Karma Total & Karma Count?

Then you enter a note confusion with this comment:

"Fill out the details as shown in the image then click submit.

For ranks use a code like

Code: ranks/Hearts/rankl{postrow.KARMA}.gif

You can change the rank to which image you want."

Is Rank the same as Karma? If not, why mention it?

These may appear like bloody daft questions to you 'do this all day' propeller heads, but when all you're looking to do is complete a straight forward process, it introduces needless tangents.

Any way, seeing as there are no specific instructions to do anything with Rank, or any specific line of code suggested to be placed in the 'Display as Image' box, what am I to do? Ignore it or what?

And am I to ignore it or input something (if so then what?) when I get to Karma Total & Karma Count? Both templates have the display boxes empty (that is to say you've not put default entries in there, as you have with Max Charaters and Character Width.

And you're instructions say hit the 'Submit' button once you're done - when my Admin panel only gives 'Update' and 'Cancel' as options? Am I on the right page in the Admin Panel - I'm in the General -> Profile Fields ->  'Edit profile field' -  this one:

http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum....=bb4401cbb80ca524f2cf6d94b690158d

Please delete the above site link if it leave me open to breach.

Now just to give this a practical application - what I'm seeking to do is allow my members to award each other Rep - and for that Rep to be visible as you look at the board and its posts by members - probably with Heart symbols.

So will this apparently convoluted process result in me achieving this, or are there another fifty pages on this norz to complete? If so, I gotta tell ya guys, there have to be easier ways of doing this. Perhaps shipping this feature as embedded/default when folks take up your product.

Any way, back to the point, please can you answer the procedural questions above as I've tried a couple of times now and some thing's either wrong or I'm doing something wrong, even though I'm following your instructions.

Thanks in advance.
myff admin

For all the text that went into that, I don't really know what code you have done, and what might be wrong.

New fields that are not in the howtodoit screenshot should be left blank.
ranks are mentioned as KARMA images typically use forum rank images.

You would not want an image for KARMA_COUNT and KARMA_TOTAL as both the latter go beyond the 0-5 number system typically found in the rank images.

You talk about stuff coming pre-installed, but there are three core problems with that.

1) Not everyone wants the hack.
2) If we have to make vast numbers of edits to each new template we install, we would not be so willing and able to install new templates.
3) Last but not least our portal system is programmable and flexible. But with such power does come an inevitable amount of complexity that needs to be learned to use it well.
Full Tilt Boogie

OK, I'm on the third part of this, creating 'Karma_Count' - and my template doesn't match your current 'How To' instructions!

See your instructions here - 6c Karma_Count:

Where as your instructions still say Max Character, Character Width, Default etc, see mine here:

http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum....=96c9b88ed2c0eff4bca570b625466b32

Mine doesn't - it gives different boxes and requests different information to be input - Link, format string, style etc?

And I still don't have a 'Submit' button - just an 'Update'!!!

Someone please care to shed some light on this inconsistency in the How To instructions??

Cheers.
myff admin

Update is submit.

If a field isn't mentioned leave it blank.
Full Tilt Boogie

Update is submit.

If a field isn't mentioned leave it blank.

Thanks, but please check the last message - the entire final section of Karma_Count is in conflict the posted 'How To' instructions!

FTB wrote:
See your instructions here - 6c Karma_Count:

Where as your instructions still say Max Character, Character Width, Default etc, see mine here:

Mine doesn't - it gives different boxes and requests different information to be input - Link, format string, style etc?

And I still don't have a 'Submit' button - just an 'Update'!!!

Someone please care to shed some light on this inconsistency in the How To instructions??

So what now? Just ignore it?
myff admin

When you change field input type, the available fields change to match.

But yes you can largely ignore things there.
Full Tilt Boogie

When you change field input type, the available fields change to match.

Sorry? What does that mean?

Look one thing has become crystal clear (unlike this thread) - your instructions are out of date and unclear, and you assuming that I have a clue about coding or its terminology is not helping at all. We're no further on now than when we began this needlessly protracted process.

I've followed your instructions to the letter - and they do not work. It's that simple. I've tried it with /ranks/Hearts/rank_{KARMA_TOTAL}.gif ,and I've tried it without (not that your instructions make it clear either way whether this is needed or not). I've gone through all three Karma field profiles 4 times each now (Karma, Karma Count & karma Total) and it doesn't work! So let's please go easy on the 'just ignore it if it's not filled in' advice - as plenty is filled in, and still makes no sense or works.

So what next - how many more times do I have to explain the thing before one of you gives me advice which will actually help me correct this issue?

ADmin wrote:
But yes you can largely ignore things there.

OK, just followed all the "How To" instructions on this to the letter [for the fifth time!] - including your 'ignore if blank' recommendations...

I'm guessing it'll come as no shock to you find out that it hasn't worked? Again.

Nothing's changed, and no Rep appears next to any of the members on the board.

Observations:

1. The existing 'How To' Karma instructions are nigh-on two years old - so very likely out of date, as the phpBB s/w will have been updated in that time, and along with it some of the template/portal/config fields & commands - I've certainly (as reported here in this thread) found inconsistencies and contradictions in them.

2. Sorry to say, but they are poorly written, confusing and contradictory in parts - anyone not used to coding would/will just give up in frustration.

3. They have been written by someone who assumes that he/she is conversing with an audience who has a clue about the subject - when the generalist forum owner patently does not.  There is far too much extraneous information crammed into one post, and it goes off at tangents too - when it needs to be simplified and split into a number of smaller, clearer posts to make it fit for purpose for the generalist user.

4. Straight questions I've asked here just get fudged answers - which just adds to the the over all level of frustration. It should not take this long to sort an issue like this - and we would be here if your existing instructions were of practical use.

So what do you suggest now?

You can take the above points under advisement - but all I want to do (as I stated at the very beginning) is to be able to allow my members to award each other Rep and for it to appear on the boards next to/under their name and avatar.

So how are you going help me achieve that?
myff admin

You are not following the basic steps needed to get help.

e.g. showing us what you have done via screenshots and code snippets, and giving links to where we can see what you are getting.

You post a lot of text but you really never get beyond "it doesn't work" when it comes to information about what you have done.

A screenshot of how you have defined the profile fields and the KARMA portal, plus the code you have put in the template and a link to a post where something should show and we would have had this sorted long ago.
Full Tilt Boogie

You are not following the basic steps needed to get help.

e.g. showing us what you have done via screenshots and code snippets, and giving links to where we can see what you are getting.

[quoteYou post a lot of text but you really never get beyond "it doesn't work" when it comes to information about what you have done.

A screenshot of how you have defined the profile fields and the KARMA portal, plus the code you have put in the template and a link to a post where something should show and we would have had this sorted long ago.

All that's in the thread - you just have to want to see it.

OK, if you can't be bothered to read what's written in front of you, insist on ignoring the fact that your instructions are poorly worded and confusing, then let's do this by the numbers...

Here's my Karma profile:

Here's my Karma_Total:

Here's my Karma_Count:

And if you now come back and say "Ah yes, well there's your problem, it's obvious - you've not put any code in the .....", you credibility as a support function will be called into question, as we've been round this tree umpteen times in this thread already without success.
myff admin

We can't see your admin panel. You give no link to a post where we might see the issue.

I see that you have told the  KARMA  profile not to display.

It really is in English.:

Topic display position [ NONE ] Where in a topic will the field be shown? If set to "none" you can still enter set the field to show manually, by editing viewtopic_body.tpl

So unless you have manually edited the template, then you will see no KARMA.
Full Tilt Boogie

We can't see your admin panel.

Then with respect, why didn't you say so, 12 posts ago, when I posted one to illustrate the problem earlier in the thread??? I get the impression excuses are being reached for now...

Admin wrote:
You give no link to a post where we might see the issue.

So I'm what - supposed to post on my own site that I can't get Rep to work so you guys can go there and read the same message you're reading here - when I've been telling you that for the past day and a half?? Visit any post on my forum and the lack of visible Rep/Karma problem will become screamingly obvious to you. Again, this sounds like exuses for lack of any meaningful action or resolution on your behalf.

And what is this - the very post/thread we're in here/now - if not "a post where we might see the issue"?? You'll be asking me for a link to my forum next (see top of thread)

Admin wrote:
I see that you have told the  KARMA  profile not to display.

Really? Where did you see that?

I thought you couldn't see my site? Please can you post a link to where you found that information? Or is that from the screendump I posted earlier in the thread which you said I didn't post?

You see how you've tied yourself in knots now?

And if I've "told KARMA" to do anything, it'll be based purely on your 'How To' instructions; so I'll take that as an admission that they are in fact confusing, poorly written and out of date.

Admin wrote:
It really is in English.:

Topic display position [ NONE ] Where in a topic will the field be shown? If set to "none" you can still enter set the field to show manually, by editing viewtopic_body.tpl

Oh that the above were indeed in English! It might mean something to someone who does this day-in-and-day-out, but to the generalist? You're deluding yourself and just creating problems for yourself in not seeing it as a self-made problem.

And, as for the for value being set to 'None', we now have proof positive that your 'How To' instructions are in fact worthless - see your own link here:

Then look at 6a - where you instruct people to "Fill out the details as shown in the image then click submit. - and, with that instructional advice in mind "as shown in the image", where the screen dump you provide has 'None' as the instruction for completion of task. So you instruct people to set that value to None - and we're supposed to be the ones at fault? Alcohol and breweries come to mind...

Admin wrote:
So unless you have manually edited the template, then you will see no KARMA.

I've done NOTHING which your blessed  'How To' instructions didn't instruct me to do - I've not freebased, I've not gone off message or done my own thing here - I've simply done what your instructions said I should do, no more, no less - and it simply doesn't work the way your instructions tell people to do it.

So can we please stop the back-peddling here and try and see this as a now increasingly frustrated customer trying to get this support facility to do its job properly, shall we?

To you, this may be a bit of fun and a giggle, but if we don't get this sorted, then I'll be taking it up with the company's owners and telling them just how blasé their customer support function is towards its customers.

Apologies, but you'll forgive me if I'm losing confidence in your ability to proffer any meaningful advice here. All you seem to want to do is enter a pissing contest rather than offer any cogent advice and help me out - cops outs, excuses, tangents, meaningless back-tracks and obfuscations seem to have become your stock in trade replies to my questions. It ceased being helpful or funny hours ago.

Is there anyone else there who actually has an interest in being helpful and might want to see this done to a customer's satisfaction, as we're getting nowhere fast here?
myff admin

The instructions in howtodoit go on to say what templates edit to make to deal with topic display "NONE" and I have repeatedly asked you to post the template edits you have made. As indeed I have asked you to post a link to a post where we can see the issue. But you have not provided that either. Yes we could trawl for posts but that might lead us to forums we can't see or forums where the issue does not show.

You get support by providing the information asked for, not by ranting at us.

The more long winded your posts are the more likely points will be missed.

So once again:

link to a post where we can see the issue.
screenshots of settings.
code snippets of template edits.

with those clearly and pleasantly presented you can get it resolved.
Full Tilt Boogie

The instructions in howtodoit go on to say what templates edit to make to deal with topic display "NONE" and I have repeatedly asked you to post the template edits you have made. As indeed I have asked you to post a link to a post where we can see the issue. But you have not provided that either. Yes we could trawl for posts but that might lead us to forums we can't see or forums where the issue does not show.

More back-peddling. Everything you have asked for has been provided earlier in the thread, indeed you've responded to it - so it appears you're just being lazy now. You're not the best example or advocate for customer support at your place, are you?

Admin wrote:
You get support by providing the information asked for, not by ranting at us.

The more long winded your posts are the more likely points will be missed.

I refer you to my response above. What is this? Training day? You started this thread apparently interested in helping me, and then what? You got bored and couldn't be arsed any more?

Admin wrote:
So once again:

link to a post where we can see the issue.

"The issue" is currently any post on my forum - all of which are blissfully untainted by any sign of contamination by Rep/Karma, and for which your efforts have thus far been unable/unwilling to provide any resolution - but you already know that, but to humour you, here's a link to a random page off my site, detailing in glorious clarity the complete lack of anything resembling Rep/Karma:

http://afunplacetobe.myfreeforum.org/ftopic704-0.php

Admin wrote:
screenshots of settings.
code snippets of template edits.

As mentioned in just about every post in this thread, I've not deviated from your 'instructions' here at all, so as for screen shots, see your own link below - mine are identical in every way:

Where your instructions say 'None', I have left it at None, where your instructions say "Fill out the details as shown in the image then click submit.", I have done precisely that, no more, no less.

I have not entered any lines of code - anywhere - as your instructions do not request me to do so. So if we subsequently/consequently find that to be the issue, then you need to get a grip on whom ever wrote the instructions and resolve it, as they need work!

FYI - I have a Karma folder in Portals, so I joined these 'instructions' at stage 6, as per instruction.

I stopped when section 6 finishes, again as per the instructions - I do not, and have not, done any coding, or cut and pasted any into a template. I've followed 6 a, b & c (Karma, karma_Total & Karma_Count) and left it there, as your instructions say "The Guide below is ONLY for those that wish to edit or move the code to a place not given in the drop down bar in the screen above."

Over and above providing me with a resolution, the only question you need to establish is just how incomplete and misguiding your instructions are? How much they assume people know, how off the mark they are in conveying to the generalist any worthwhile working instructions.

If you're saying that Rep/karma cannot be rendered on to a site without yards of coding, then it's useless to the generalist board owner and you need to simplify it. vBulletin at its worst was a cinch compared to this needlessly protracted nonsense - more intuitive, lot's tick-box and drop-down option driven, where yours required the user to be a tech-head and coding merchant. The latter is OK only as long as it is backed-up by slick and efficient tech-support. If that's not the case, then you hit problems...

Admin wrote:
with those clearly and pleasantly presented you can get it resolved.

On present form, you'll forgive me for not holding my breath on that claim.
myff admin

So in essence you have neither set either the field or the KARMA portal to display somewhere in topics automatically by changing the topic display [none] setting, nor have you actually put any of the template edits in that would manually show those things.

You then wonder why nothing appears in the topics  
Nick(NR)

would I be right to say what's not happening is that the karma image and link to give karma aren't showing on the topic under the users avatar and on a person porifle when viewed?, if that assumption is correct then you are indeed missing out a part of that guide which is point number 7 onwards which details how to add it to viewtopic_body.tpl and  profile_view_body.tpl
Full Tilt Boogie

So in essence you have neither set either the field or the KARMA portal to display somewhere in topics automatically by changing the topic display [none] setting, nor have you actually put any of the template edits in that would manually show those things.

You then wonder why nothing appears in the topics  

So in essence what you're admitting is that you've not really been attempting to read this thread at all, or answer my questions in it? And we're what, three pages in to it? My points, with supporting info, have been clearly made since the first post - you know they have as you've even agreed with and responded to some of the points - and now you're coming out with the above statement?

Are you doing this job as a bet? Just playing at it? Because you come across as someone who frankly couldn't give a toss and whose last thought is actually to try and help or find resolutions to customer's issues.

I've said from the off that all I've done is follow your 'How To' 'instructions' to the letter - so if I've failed to achieve the desired results, what does that tell us about how poorly you've managed to convey those 'instructions'? But again, that's something I've also reiterated umpteen times in this thread, so now you're just coming across as both ignorant and taking the piss.

Some skills for an 'Admin' mate. And members here are supposed to treat you as being in some way 'professional'?

Be honest with me: did you actually grasp what was going on at the start of the thread, or were you just jerking my chain and nodding and pretending like you knew what was going on? Either way, the sum result is the same - you've gone out of your way to obfuscate, prevaricate and do sod all to actually to be of any practical use.

So it should now be clear, even to you, to see why people get frustrated when they invest all this time in the process of trying to use your so-called 'support service' - only to be messed about by people who carry a 'support' badge but in reality couldn't care less about customers??

Is there actually any one here who gives a toss, or has a bloody clue about how to support this software; or are we all involved in one colossal circle-jerk so that Google can target their advertising bots at us?

Genuine question??

Nearly two days at this now, and nearly three pages in and still no further on in terms of a resolution.... That's gotta be some kind of record, surely?

Anyone?? Is 'support' here just word that gets bandied about for a giggle, or do you actively try and deliver it?

Genuine question???
Full Tilt Boogie

Nick(NR) wrote:
would I be right to say what's not happening is that the karma image and link to give karma aren't showing on the topic under the users avatar and on a person porifle when viewed?, if that assumption is correct then you are indeed missing out a part of that guide which is point number 7 onwards which details how to add it to viewtopic_body.tpl and  profile_view_body.tpl

Now this actually sounds promising, like you've got a grasp of things!

Pray go on - tell me more. We may get a result on this yet!

Given where we are, I still don't think steps 6a, b & c have been delivered/processed correctly, so I'd like to try and get them squared away and done correctly first before we wander into section 7.

So where do you want to start? I'm all ears.
myff admin

Well I'm stopping now. I have tried to help and all I have received is abuse. So you will not be getting support from me without an apology.
Full Tilt Boogie

Well I'm stopping now. I have tried to help and all I have received is abuse. So you will not be getting support from me without an apology.

Mate, you've gone out of your way to make this a pissing contest and this entire process needlessly convoluted and difficult - and I'm the one who needs to give you and apology?

Stunning.

OK, looks like Admin's taken his ball in, so any one else in the support team - let's make this dead simple - I'd like to have my Rep/Karma look and act exactly the same as the way it's represented on your site here - with the only possible difference that I'd like to able to leave comments for the person to whom the Rep/karma is being given, and for those comments to be readalbe in turn by the person to whom the Rep/Karma is awarded.

Now you have to have a readily available script you can post for that - surely?

So what are the processes/templates we need to complete to achieve that?
Louise

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

If you're saying that Rep/karma cannot be rendered on to a site without yards of coding, then it's useless to the generalist board owner and you need to simplify it. vBulletin at its worst was a cinch compared to this needlessly protracted nonsense - more intuitive, lot's tick-box and drop-down option driven, where yours required the user to be a tech-head and coding merchant. The latter is OK only as long as it is backed-up by slick and efficient tech-support. If that's not the case, then you hit problems.

Apologies for butting in the thread but hey It's a Public Forum.

I would Just like add in response to the quoted comment that I actually prefer MYFF'S way of doing things . . .

Admin has always made clear that if you want all the Bells and whistles that Come with a Forum, then you have to pay the Price of LEARNING, Sounds like a fair exchange to me.

No It's not easy and yes it involves a learning curve But there's far more satisfaction that comes from that.

Any Monkey (Not calling yourself a moneky) can Tick a box to say 'Yes , I'd Like that on my Forum' But then You haven't really created it yourself have you?

I for one am very proud of what I've learnt thanks to this place . . . and if that means I've become a 'Tech Head', then so be it.
Full Tilt Boogie

Louise wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

If you're saying that Rep/karma cannot be rendered on to a site without yards of coding, then it's useless to the generalist board owner and you need to simplify it. vBulletin at its worst was a cinch compared to this needlessly protracted nonsense - more intuitive, lot's tick-box and drop-down option driven, where yours required the user to be a tech-head and coding merchant. The latter is OK only as long as it is backed-up by slick and efficient tech-support. If that's not the case, then you hit problems.

I would Just like add in response to the quoted comment that I actually prefer MYFF'S way of doing things . . .

Admin has always made clear that if you want all the Bells and whistles that Come with a Forum, then you have to pay the Price of LEARNING, Sounds like a fair exchange to me.

No It's not easy and yes it involves a learning curve But there's far more satisfaction that comes from that.

Any Monkey (Not calling yourself a moneky) can Tick a box to say 'Yes , I'd Like that on my Forum' But then You haven't really created it yourself have you?

I for one am very proud of what I've learnt thanks to this place . . . and if that means I've become a 'Tech Head', then so be it.

With respect Louise, I've been running boards & websites for the last 9 years (and this is by no means the only one I have or the only web domain I own), so these 'tekkie teething' issues are nothing new - the thing which is the game-changer, and where the real value is, is just how ready-&-willing (in terms of customer-orientated response) and effective the tech-support is when you need it.

So when an Admin here effectively takes his ball in and presents his bottom lip, rather than not stand on ceremony and just do the job, it kinda colours people's view on just how geared up they are to help when their service is required.

Currently, in this trial-by-mismatch, I feel like I've been asked to change an engine...  only to be offered a how to manual which is in Serbo-Croat, and then those capable of making any effective translation are both unwilling to help and instead insist on going round in one-upman-ship circles and desinging pissing contests. By any definition, that is not a 'service' - it is an abuse of position.

Doesn't reflect well on MFF or the support function here, does it?

ANy way, my only decision now is to see what the industry press and media will make of this fiasco, as there's surely no tech support on offer here when the Admin refuses to help. Indeed, it rather makes a mockery of any concept of 'support'.

Good luck with your site though.
Full Tilt Boogie

Louise wrote:
Full Tilt Boogie wrote:

Just to pick up on one of your inaccuracies here Louise...

Rep/Karma is not (in the world of the Website) considered a "bells-n-whistles" luxury - it's very much a bog-standard, entry-level feature which ordinarily you'd just tick a box or click a drop down to enable as a feature - why would anyone (unless they were a complete propeller-head) prefer the "oooh" Let's sit down and see how much code we can do today!!" method?

It makes no sense and just takes up time which could be spent on ensuring the quality of the content of the site. Add to that the experience I've had here with support taking its ball in and sulking, and you can then see why people prefer to just go to an Admin panel with an option of pre-set templates where the option are simply "Enable Reputation", "Enable Positive & Negative Reputation", Enable Positive or Negative Reputation ONLY" etc - TICK!

You may get some form of personal fulfilment by getting your head around code - me, I'd rather spend time on making the site a worthwhile and successful place for my members.

Louise wrote:

I guess that's largely predicated on where you go looking for, and in what form, your "satisfaction" comes. But if you enjoy it, then knock yourself out.

Louise wrote:

With respect, you've missed the point, so I'll just refer you to my previous answer on this above.

Louise wrote:

Like I said, knock yourself out - but you can't be surprised when others prefer to get on with life and their site rather than wade through reams of 'how to' manuals and put up with surly and patchy support facilities where they don't have to.

What ever floats your boat...
Full Tilt Boogie

Nick(NR) wrote:

So Nick, are you getting involved in a fix here?
Full Tilt Boogie

I've tried to do this in private, but you don't accept PMs - I'm think I'm guessing why - you'd be inundated with members who've got nowhere when dealing with you.

OK, in public it is then.

Are you even going to attempt to sort this out, or do I have to escalate it within your organisation and its backers?

I'll give you that option before I take it to the BBC's Watchdog and a handful of other consumer-advocate organisations with whom I work - they are always on the look out for stories of poor customer support and issues where the company in question refuses to help its customers.

Your call mate - you could have made this a lot easier that you've made it.
myff admin

Feel free

They will see a thread where we have promptly and politely responded to every post with an attempt to help you. At worse they might spot that we did not spot a bit of information tucked into your long posts where you generally fail to give the information asked for.

At the end your posts have deteriorated to little more than threats and abuse and we have opted not to accept that.
Full Tilt Boogie

Feel free

They will see a thread where we have promptly and politely responded to every post with an attempt to help you. At worse they might spot that we did not spot a bit of information tucked into your long posts where you generally fail to give the information asked for.

At the end your posts have deteriorated to little more than threats and abuse and we have opted not to accept that.

OK. Finally you admit that you're unhelpful and don't want to help. That's all I needed to hear.

But you've now openly admitted that you don't really offer effective technical support here - you just play at it and make the pretence until customers reach the limit of their technical expertise and then you just mess them around and ask for a whole host of information they've already provided.

That is the indictment and it's one you've now coughed to. I wouldn't be feeling too proud of myself if I were you round about now lads.

And now you're so embarrassed that you're preventing my posts from being posted in real time - that's just an admission of guilt lads.

Unfortunately for you, I'm a journalist in the Web & forum sector - and you've just given me all the necessary for my next piece.

And all you had to do was help me out and not get snotty and smart arsed ???!

Deary me...
Bravo

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
And now you're so embarrassed that you're preventing my posts from being posted in real time - that's just an admission of guilt lads.

Actually that was me, after you started end of thread trolling.  

Fill your boots with your web log.  If you are now at the point when you are no longer looking for help (which has been given, you need to learn some html if you want this feature, you refuse, so live without it) and simply trying to threaten/abuse then this thread can be considered closed I think.  Unless your next post is something more constructive?
Full Tilt Boogie

Actually, this should have dawned on me before now...

MFF is a 'free' forum type deal, right?

Free in the sense that it's customers don't pay anything to use it... absolutely nothing...

Which would then make it ironic as, certainly in terms of any worthwhile tech support, [certainly in my experience] you get precisely what you pay for here...
Full Tilt Boogie

Bravo wrote:
... Unless your next post is something more constructive?

I've asked repeated if there is actually anyone here who can help - and got people taking their ball in, sulking and "I'm not playing".

So you tell me - is there in fact anyone here qualified and able to help?
Bravo

Full Tilt Boogie wrote:
Actually, this should have dawned on me before now...

MFF is a 'free' forum type deal, right?

Free in the sense that it's customers don't pay anything to use it... absolutely nothing...

Which would then make it ironic as, certainly in terms of any worthwhile tech support, [certainly in my experience] you get precisely what you pay for here...

Not what I consider 'constructive'.  Feel free to start a debate on that very issue, I'm sure plenty of people would have an opinion on that.

This thread has clearly been reduced to a shadow of it's original intent so I am locking it.  You are still free to request support under the same rules as everyone else.  I am maintaining your moderated status for now as a preventative measure in case you attempt to troll further.  We do not bear grudges, and you will still get help should you request it (in the proper way).

So I am locking this thread.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum