Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
myff admin

When is phpbb3 not phpbb3?

Been starting to look around at phpbb3 free forums systems, and I see evidence of some completely rewritten admin panels, such that you might not even know it was phpbb3, not that is not on some levels a bad thing, but it does go somewhat against our philosophy of giving people a compatible solution.

We have had one or two reports of people thinking the phpbb3 admin panel is not as bad as we think it is, and I wonder just what they have actually been seeing?
myff admin

The flip side is at least one system that does not seem to let you change logos.

Which does also raise the point that phpbb3 seems somewhat incomplete in this regard, unless I am missing something, the system is kind of most the way there when it comes to changing images in templates, but has no way of specifying either an external image or an uploaded image, unless you edit file directly which is not something that can be done from the admin panel.
Alz

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
1) The flip side is at least one system that does not seem to let you change logos.

Which does also raise the point that phpbb3 seems somewhat incomplete in this regard, unless I am missing something, the system is kind of most the way there when it comes to changing images in templates, but has no way of specifying either an external image or an uploaded image, 2) unless you edit file directly which is not something that can be done from the admin panel.

Okay.. Uhh.. Let me get a few things straight  Wink
1) You can change logos, but the only thing is that you have to upload it via FTP.
ROOT/styles/TEMPLATE/imageset/sitelogo.gif

2)You can edit the template files via ACP.
Click on 'Styles' tab -> Click on Templates on the left -> Click on the 'Edit' next to your template name -> Select a template file -> You're editing a template file  
myff admin

Point 2 there got me, as on some phpbb3 free forums you cannot do this. But okay it is good it is there, and it is there on ours

Uploading via ftp however is a sign of things not being complete, and something that we must rectify.

Remember I only started on this again Monday, and only part time as you can see from other announcements.

Already we do have the phpbb3 forums creation system resurrected and a lot of changes made to make the system actually work as a free forums system, including the code being set to always store stuff in the database.

But I will be the first to admit I am only beginning the learning curve, and by making these posts it does give people the change to correct me if I am wrong.

At the moment I am learning and chipping away at the "must do's" like for example removing the ability of people to mess around with cookie settings

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum