Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Search Engines
David

What do you do to attract members?

Wha do you do attract new members. I put a link in my sig on a forum of similar interests to mine, I submitted to several directories/search engines, and I linked to about 10 sites.

FORUMOFTHESAXES.MYFREEFORUM.ORG
Sugarcreations

I don't know but if you find out please let me know.
sgts

Walk around my forum naked giving members free beer
Quote:
What do you do to attract members?

Links are the best and most effective but they need to be in similar interest forums. There is not much use in advertising a "car restoration" forum in your sig in a "gamer/skater" forum.
symon

I offer free drinks and food and girls but that doesnt work so its just advertising on sites like this
myff admin

I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.

Aside from that a certain amount of niche marketing may be needed, unless you have a strong core of chatty people to start with.

e.g. The last car I bought was a Toyota, when I was thinking about buying one, I found a Toyota car forum. It was a bit of a no brainer to sign up to the forum, almost regardless of how active it was.

If you go this route though, you must still put the work in. No one will sign up to an empty forum.
symon

Ive siged up to that coop so only time will tell, what i do find alot though is that you get many guest asking question on how you do this and how you do that even on here, but you go on there site and they zap all guest posting if someone links to my site i link to theirs and alos sign up to theirs this i find is a good way of promoting both sites.
David

admin wrote:
I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.
I don't care how effect it is, I took it off after I saw the kinds of sites I was being linked to (vesectomoy sites, tatoo places, ect.)
symon

David wrote:
admin wrote:
I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.
I don't care how effect it is, I took it off after I saw the kinds of sites I was being linked to (vesectomoy sites, tatoo places, ect.)


Your lose not theres
myff admin

The linked sites can sometimes be quite poor. Which is why we have not gone in for anything like this happening automatically.

But if you use the link type ads, they are small and barely noticable at the bottom of the forum.

In prinicple digitalpoint screens the sites, but I like you am less than happy with the level of screening and I have complained several times on their forum.

But you have to look at the benefits and decide whether pragmatism is the order of the day?
Tibbittz

sgts wrote:
Walk around my forum naked giving members free beer


...I've got friends on some other boards... when my board is ready, I'm really just hoping to get some of them to spend some of their online time there...
scot swift

hi i post my link on similarsites and i olso printed of some fliers and post them on cars in car parks

http://centralscotlandsuzukiswifts.myfreeforum.org/
symon

old peter wrote:
hi i post my link on similarsites and i olso printed of some fliers and post them on cars in car parks

http://centralscotlandsuzukiswifts.myfreeforum.org/


Thats a good way to create litter when an irate driver returns their car
David

admin wrote:
The linked sites can sometimes be quite poor. Which is why we have not gone in for anything like this happening automatically.

But if you use the link type ads, they are small and barely noticable at the bottom of the forum.

In prinicple digitalpoint screens the sites, but I like you am less than happy with the level of screening and I have complained several times on their forum.

But you have to look at the benefits and decide whether pragmatism is the order of the day?
I've just put it back on. The sites seem to be better quality now
David

It's a lot easier to attract members if your site focuses on one topic, such as basketball, or business card collecting. :P I've noticed that Many forums on here are too broad, and they should specialize on one or two things, in my opinuin.
myff admin

David wrote:
It's a lot easier to attract members if your site focuses on one topic, such as basketball, or business card collecting. :P I've noticed that Many forums on here are too broad, and they should specialize on one or two things, in my opinuin.


I keep making this same point to people, unless you have a large circle of people you can get involved instantly a forum:

yetanotherchatroom.myfreeforum.org

is going to be very hard to get off the ground.
David

admin wrote:


I keep making this same point to people, unless you have a large circle of people you can get involved instantly a forum:

yetanotherchatroom.myfreeforum.org

is going to be very hard to get off the ground.
You're probably right. One method I've heard that people with forums that are very broad is they e-mail hundreds of their frineds telling to join their forum. I think it usually works, but I don't see the point in doing it. It takes away the challenge of trying to get people to join your forum at will and not under pressure.
David

admin wrote:
David wrote:
It's a lot easier to attract members if your site focuses on one topic, such as basketball, or business card collecting. :P I've noticed that Many forums on here are too broad, and they should specialize on one or two things, in my opinuin.


I keep making this same point to people, unless you have a large circle of people you can get involved instantly a forum:

yetanotherchatroom.myfreeforum.org

is going to be very hard to get off the ground.
YetAnotherChatRoom doesn't seem to exist. Did it get deleted or something?
symon

If you mean chattyspammypeople then yes they have gone to forum hell
David

symon wrote:
If you mean chattyspammypeople then yes they have gone to forum hell
No, not chattypeopleforum, which got deleted, but notanotherchatforum, or something like that,
ms moon

i have the my forum address in my signature, its unobtrusive but works very well.

out of politeness ask the site owner if you can do that though
Gosu71

what has happened to polmki's site? its been down for the past couple of days
symon

St0rm[TitE] wrote:
what has happened to polmki's site? its been down for the past couple of days


I have no idea it was a good looking forum as well maybe he tryed 1 footer to many
Gosu71

lol

yeah, he used about every available feature possible on his site. i thought it was very good and 'took' a few ideas from it and used them on my site Wink
symon

St0rm[TitE] wrote:
lol

yeah, he used about every available feature possible on his site. i thought it was very good and 'took' a few ideas from it and used them on my site Wink


Indeed he did but maybe too many
myff admin

symon wrote:
St0rm[TitE] wrote:
lol

yeah, he used about every available feature possible on his site. i thought it was very good and 'took' a few ideas from it and used them on my site Wink


Indeed he did but maybe too many


But if he was down for technical reasons he would know he could get me to fix it. What was the address?
symon

elforum.myfreeforum.org

is the link Admin
symon

http://elforum.myfreeforum.org/
myff admin

So he has simply taken it offline

No idea of course on the reasoning here, but we have a few admins who take forums offline when they are away. Which is a pretty self defeating way of trying to build a forum
Gosu71

maybe he's 'work in progress'? but then, surely something would still show up
myff admin

St0rm[TitE] wrote:
maybe he's 'work in progress'? but then, surely something would still show up


Unavailable means he can't see the changes!
Thunder

I have a friend sign in to mine. But that's cause I've known him for eons...I started another forum a while ago else where, and got friends to sign up from the forum we chat at, as the topic was different from the norm. Then I did blend in three or four different types of topics, all related, but, like David said, I think it is best to keep it in one topic.

I also found out that if you google your forum, that gets the spiders looking around...It's sort of like tweaking google, then, if you do not see th eforum in the first couple of pages, you can tell what kinds of "tags" or rather key words the first couple of pages have, and try somehow to gear your word usage towards those that made it to the top of the pile...
My 2 cents...
Roy

[quote="admin"]I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.quote]

Admin can you give me the link to this coop ad network please and is it free or do you have to start paying after so long. Thanks Roy.
myff admin

[quote="Roy"]
admin wrote:
I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.quote]

Admin can you give me the link to this coop ad network please and is it free or do you have to start paying after so long. Thanks Roy.


it is free and is in the owners control panel.
Roy

[quote="admin"]
Roy wrote:
admin wrote:
I hope you are all signing up for the coop ad network, as this is pretty effecting in making you visible.quote]

Admin can you give me the link to this coop ad network please and is it free or do you have to start paying after so long. Thanks Roy.


it is free and is in the owners control panel.


Excellent, thanks Admin.
Ziddy

What an idiot!

I thought that was how many ads were displayed at the top of my site!

       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Search Engines
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum