Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
LornaDoone39

Users profiles - signatures

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here (or link to your specific problem) :

http://puttheworldtorights.myfineforum.org/

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

signature profile

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

I set up my forum in the past few days and so far everything is going very well.  A couple of the members have pointed out to me that the allowed signature length on the profile is 255 characters but could not enter a signature of 230 words.

Does 'characters' include spaces?  

Apologies if this question is in the wrong section.

LD
myff admin

characters does include spaces.
LornaDoone39

Ok - thanks for the info.  
citricsquid

Re: Users profiles - signatures

LornaDoone39 wrote:

I set up my forum in the past few days and so far everything is going very well.  A couple of the members have pointed out to me that the allowed signature length on the profile is 255 characters but could not enter a signature of 230 words.

Word and character are different. A character is one unit, " is a character, is a character. Every letter, punctuation mark and space counts towards total characters.
Zudane

Just to double up what critic said...

Do remember that characters and words are very separate.

Take for example.. "rehearsal"  It is one word, but is 9 characters.

"I went to spain... in the rain" is 7 words, but 30 characters.

The character count also includes code
Code:
[url=google.com]Hi[/url]

That shows up as 2 characters in the signature, but the entire code used for it is 24 characters.

If in doubt, feel free to open up Word, and type it out there and check the word count.  If you use Office 2007 go to the "review" tab and the button is right next to "translate" it shows an image with "123abc".  Click that for the word count and character count.  Look for the number next to "Characters (with spaces):"  That will give you the number you need to keep under 255.
LornaDoone39

Excellent - thanks for the extra info guys and I'll make a note of it.

blessings.  

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum