Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
myff admin

Ubuntu 10.04

I'm going to try and move over today, it will be a little painful, but I'm now two years out of date because there is never a good time to upgrade.

2 years is practically an eternity given the rate of Linux development.
myff admin

And I'm in

With most of the work needs sorted

Much relief here!
CodyT07

took me 4 hours to upgrade the lappy from 9.10. (download and to install)

I needed some sunglasses after the installation, they cranked the brightness up..
myff admin

What is notable, is that having got my new box live and working for work purposes, I have tried to upgrade the old work box, and it is currently not looking very well at all, the 9.04 first stage upgrade can't handle the graphics card, even the failsafes are failing    

This is precisely why when work is involved, it gets done the hard way and a new machine gets bought! Well in this case the new machine is a few years old, but you get the point.
myff admin

Got through the first kernel upgrade

That counts a lot for having confidence in stability.

The new boot speed is remarkably better, this system is simply much faster all round than what I was using.
CodyT07

myff admin wrote:
Got through the first kernel upgrade

That counts a lot for having confidence in stability.

The new boot speed is remarkably better, this system is simply much faster all round than what I was using.

I got a slower boot time  
editor

What were you on before though?

Bet it was'nt hardy.
CodyT07

editor wrote:
What were you on before though?

Bet it was'nt hardy.

memyself

10.04 is supposed to boot really quick if your booting from a solid state drive, I have been using Ubi' for a near couple of years now but still go back & forward between it & XP.
Mine's 10.04 64 bit.

Nvidia cards work well with Ubi' ;-)
myff admin

10.04 is a very fast boot whatever it is on.

But still tarnished by driver issues as Linux always has been.
Nick(NR)

memyself wrote:
10.04 is supposed to boot really quick if your booting from a solid state drive, I have been using Ubi' for a near couple of years now but still go back & forward between it & XP.
Mine's 10.04 64 bit.

any system loading from an ssd will load quick, I'm currently loading into windows7 in under 40secs and that's including having to hit enter at the dual boot screen
memyself

Nick(NR) wrote:
memyself wrote:
Mine's 10.04 64 bit.

any system loading from an ssd will load quick, I'm currently loading into windows7 in under 40secs and that's including having to hit enter at the dual boot screen

I thought after seeing your post I'd time Ubi' on mine, 43secs including hitting enter at dual boot from pressing the power button to welcome tune (desk top, sata hdd).

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum