Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
symon

Triggers for new modactions / actions

I can not seem to get the trigger switch to work,

i want it to sens a pm afer say 20 posts, i can set it too send a pm on every post , but not on a certian amount of posts.

Also the trigger to join a usergroup after sop many posts seems to be not working or i have set again teh triggers wrong.

in actions i have the following

http://testhtml.myfastforum.org
myff admin

The (amount) field needs to be the name of the group to join.

and a filter needs to be set that will only pass on exactly 40 posts.

of course this may all have bugs, as whilst it has been tested, there may have been regressions.
symon

Ok excuse my dumbness but where do you set the filter, i see a drop saying filter but place to enter the filter flags you want.
myff admin

There is a separate FILTER portal.
symon

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
There is a separate FILTER portal.

symon

i set the filter to

user_post

equals

but how does the  actions know which filter to use ??
myff admin

Once you have some filters set up, yuo should be able to see them in the dropdown box in the actions portal.
symon

Once you have some filters set up, yuo should be able to see them in the dropdown box in the actions portal.

Sorry either its me or some or a bug..

I have as i said user_post ,, set to equals and set to 75

in actions i only see blank and FILTER in the drop box options.
myff admin

I have set things up on your forum so that they look right to me.

I think one "error" you are making is that the FILTER portal is something that really should be copied to create each filter.

So ideally copy FILTER to TEST1JOIN and use TEST1JOIN in the ACTIONS portal.
symon

I have set things up on your forum so that they look right to me.

I think one "error" you are making is that the FILTER portal is something that really should be copied to create each filter.

So ideally copy FILTER to TEST1JOIN and use TEST1JOIN in the ACTIONS portal.

Ok i ,ve made a new filter

FILTER1

and set to user_post ,, equals ..  80

But you set it to any post ? by doing this even after un-subscribing if i make any post, i get let into the group and gget the pm,, so at the moment test 2 (user name) is on 77 and every post he makes he gets the pm and let into the usergroup, even though he has not made 80 posts.
myff admin

sounds like a bug, leave that forum with me for a bit.
symon

sounds like a bug, leave that forum with me for a bit.

No probs i,ll sign out of both accounts
myff admin

I have some fixes in the office, but not the sort I want to slap in at peak time.

So they will go in, in the morning.
symon

No worries, you know me i was just playing
myff admin

deployed.
symon

deployed.

Ok the drop box is working however ,,,

Logging in as test3 , then making a new post, i got the pm and was auto signed to the group.
Now this should  only happen after i reach the filter,, however test 3 is around 60 posts short of that, and each time i make a post i get the pm and allowed into the usergroup

So question is what do you set the trigger as ,, at the moment it is any post (which would explain it)

Would a trigger switch of say FILTER1 not be the answer, or am i reading it all wrong.
myff admin

You are doing things a bit differently to my office test. But it looks right, but clearly fails.

So I am checking some more.
symon

You are doing things a bit differently to my office test. But it looks right, but clearly fails.

So I am checking some more.

Ok will leave all the settings be for now,, however one point to note is just as you signed in ai changed the filter1 from 60 posts to 10 posts.
myff admin

works with your set up in the office now. Quite a significant couple of bugs fixed  
symon

works with your set up in the office now. Quite a significant couple of bugs fixed  

I,m taking it its live in office but not yet on the open system??

Again no hurry ,, i,m just playing and making guides as i think you have worked out what i was attempting to do.
myff admin

Unfortunately it is live, but I see it is still not working on testhtml  

I am going to muse for an hour or two and then put in a debug facility you can turn on.

I expect this is still a bug, but it needs to be tracked on the live server.
myff admin

Debug now available and I think I have spotted and fixed the issue in your actions.

This was finally a problem in your settings.

But it was a little tricky, but does I think make common sense.

You did not set the FILTER where I think it should be on the TRIGGER member, but on the TARGET member.

As such the TRIGGER is deemed to have worked, and hence a PM to the TRIGGER member is sent. This will happen regardless of a valid TARGET being found.

By setting the PM to send to the TARGET member instead, no PMs should be sent, as no valid TARGETS were found. This is what I have done in your portal.

Equally if you had set the filter on the TRIGGER member, then the ACTION would be rejected without looking for any targets.
symon

Perfect well another exercises  where a few of my mistakes brought up a few bugs,, so all in all a good days works ..lmao

So i take it then that  target member can be left at all (for this person) and there would be no need for a filter ? unless you didn't wont to allow certain member in the group even if they did reach the required post.
myff admin

not quite with you, in this case the TRIGGER member is the TARGET member, and as you want to catch a member hitting a certain number of posts you will need a FILTER set at the post level wanted.

What we need to remember is simply that the PM actions will take place if the TRIGGER passes, regardless of whether any TARGETS were found for the action.
symon

Srry i meant to say for this purpose not person.

But reading what you have said , every person that passes the filter will get the pm , even if they have been filtered out ?

so if

i didnt want johnny to become a member of the usergroup, even when he reaches the required post count, he would still get the pm sent to him when he did reach the target post required.

If that being the case how would you filter him out the pm ?
myff admin

Look a the PM settings, you can elect to PM the TRIGGER member or the TARGET member.

If you set it to PM the trigger member and FILTER on target, then jimmy will get the PM.

If you either set it:

1) to filter on TRIGGER

or

2) to PM to TARGET

then Jimmy  won't get the PM.
symon

Thats how it is set up so thats all done.

A guide is on the way,,,,,  jeeezz the possibilities with this is almost endless.  

And looking at it though say permission eyes its easier than phpbb3 and more user friendly.
myff admin

Thanks a lot for your efforts on this one, as ever you take the brunt of the inevitable bugs.

I expect more may be lurking, not least I still have to sort out the "registration" event bug. I think all the other bug fixes may have resolved this, and so will try tomorrow on that one.

As you say the possibilities are endless, it is part of what the portal have aimed to build towards. e.g. a really flexible free forums system that is component based.

We now have things like the shop and the moderator portals that both rely heavily on client side (and hence secure for the servers) javascript.

More actions can be added, and I hope to create in the next round some web2.0 procedures that will allow the user access to database tables, scary but even more powerful.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum