Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
RyanScarp

The Conclusions I've Come To on MYFF

After running countless failed forums, and being part of a couple successful ones, I've got a few things I'd like to share with the community that I have learned from experience.

Find a Niche

The thing is, people can go anywhere to have 'general discussions' or 'off-topic' discussions, why would they go to a new forum? Find something specific and focus on it. So, you like gaming, huh? That's all fine and well, but don't make a general gaming forum. Instead, narrow it down a bit, make a forum focusing on a specific game series, or console mods. Create something that can't be found anywhere else.

Find a Co-Admin

Believe it or not, running a forum is 100x easier if you have a like-minded co-admin to take some of the workload off of you. Two people will likely have more connections to bring in more members. Plus, once your forum starts growing, you it'll be nice to not have to be constantly logging in because your counterpart can hold things down when you're not available.

Dedication is Key

Sure, you'll be all gung-ho about your forum for the first three days, everyone is. "Yeah, this is gonna be awesome!". Well, it's going to take much, much longer than 3 days of dedication to get your forum anywhere near thriving. It's going to take weeks if not months of hard work to get your forum on its feet.

Be Original

This kinda ties in with Find a Nice. If the idea for your forum has already been done, you should probably move on, unless you think you have something new or interesting to add to this idea or if the existing forum is poorly maintained. Members are attracted to originality.

Professionalism:

ALWAYS use proper English. I'm not saying your grammar has to be perfect every post, but don't go around using 1337 or talk liek u r on aim. But it doesn't end at that. Be as professional as possible, never talk down to your members, and always help them out if they have questions/problems.

____

Link Exchanges:

Don't request link exchanges until you have atleast a few members or a good amount of posts on your forum (around 70). However, feel free to request link exchanges with forums similar to yours.

Hacks:

Don't go crazy with hacks as soon as you start your forum. Members will be more drawn to the content and activity in your forum than the hacks/mods.

____

I'll add more tips as I think of them.

Learn from my mistakes, aspiring forum owners!
Zudane

Some good tips, but I have to disagree with having a second admin.

I have run a few forums with other admins, and never have liked the outcome.  A single disagreement and it comes down to - who is the one that is REALLY in charge, and what if the other one doesn't like that?

You can do a lot as an admin on your own, and having people to help you build the forum (without being admin) can really make a large difference, without jeopardizing the forum.
RyanScarp

Zudane wrote:

I have run a few forums with other admins, and never have liked the outcome.  A single disagreement and it comes down to - who is the one that is REALLY in charge, and what if the other one doesn't like that?

You can do a lot as an admin on your own, and having people to help you build the forum (without being admin) can really make a large difference, without jeopardizing the forum.

I agree. It doesn't have to be an admin, it could be a mod or gmod, but just someone to hold things down when you're not around and give you a second opinion and positive criticisms.
myff admin

We can quibble on some points, but most of the points are those we have been making from the start... niche... hard work... content not hacks....
Gosu71

Zudane wrote:

I have to disagree on this one Zudane. I have 4 admins on my site, each with their own specialty (Web design, forum, community manager and me). After nearly a year and almost 1,000 members it's been a success. We will be having our game reviews featured on Metacritic in the new year, still can't believe it all started from me being bored one night at work and knocking up a quick MFF forum.
myff admin

So much depends on the site? We also have several admins on downsizer.net and it has not been much of a problem.

But I would still maintain that sites where several admins is a good idea are the exceptions to the rule.
Dragonkin

Well, there are two admins on my forum, me and another person, both with same privileges, and same authority. It, so far, has not been a problem at all.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum