Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
perthtruebluetwo

Taking ages for posts to go through

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :
rangersonlineloyal.myfastforum.org

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

see when anyone is trying to post something on the forum its taking ages after they hit the submit button for the post to go through, its tsking that long that folk are hitting submit twice and its double posting, any chance of looking into this please, and its annoying the members of the forum when they see its a double post and taking so long to submit.
thanks.
myff admin

Seems fast enough now, what I think is happening is that overall the servers are getting too busy again

We have 48 more on order already, and a gob smacking number more about to go on order very shortly.

We have been caught a little on the hop   a message of lull before storm should really have said storm before tornado I think  
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
Seems fast enough now, what I think is happening is that overall the servers are getting too busy again

We have 48 more on order already, and a gob smacking number more about to go on order very shortly.

We have been caught a little on the hop   a message of lull before storm should really have said storm before tornado I think  
Cheers admin, appreciated.
perthtruebluetwo

Hi admin,

when you get a moment could you look at this problem again please,

when i hit submit it takes forever to post, and if you click submit again as its taking that long it eventually shows a double post.
myff admin

a lot more servers are being installed, that should help.
perthtruebluetwo

Any more word on this admin, when you go to submit a new topic or post it takes around a minute at times to go trough, its bloody annoying and frustrating, and if i prune the forum would that speed it up? and if i do prune does that affect the users post count ?
perthtruebluetwo

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
Any more word on this admin, when you go to submit a new topic or post it takes around a minute at times to go trough, its bloody annoying and frustrating, and if i prune the forum would that speed it up? and if i do prune does that affect the users post count ?
any word on this topic as i posted it 6 days ago and no answer ?
Bravo

Apologies on behalf of admin, it's unusual a post gets missed like that.

We're not getting other reports for this issue which usually indicates there is a problem your end rather than our end. Is it just yourself? Or is it all your membership? If yourself it's probably an issue with your internet connection, if the whole forum then further investigation could reveal the cause.
perthtruebluetwo

Bravo wrote:
Apologies on behalf of admin, it's unusual a post gets missed like that.

We're not getting other reports for this issue which usually indicates there is a problem your end rather than our end. Is it just yourself? Or is it all your membership? If yourself it's probably an issue with your internet connection, if the whole forum then further investigation could reveal the cause.
no problem regarding missing my post, with regards to the problem its not my end it is everyone on the forum who is finding the same problem as i have reported.
Nick(NR)

can you make a list of the times it's happening, could be the database backups still running if it's early morning or something a little more detailed, but the times should help admin see what's running/happening, to try and get to the bottom of this.
perthtruebluetwo

Nick(NR) wrote:
can you make a list of the times it's happening, could be the database backups still running if it's early morning or something a little more detailed, but the times should help admin see what's running/happening, to try and get to the bottom of this.
Its doing it every time im on the forum, i work night shift and its as bad during the night as it is right now or early morning, its really annoying me now, as i know its putting folk off from posting, its annoying and they just go onto another forum of the same subject.
myff admin

Old posts don't generate notifications, so I have missed this one.

More memory is being added to the wonko server tomorrow morning which may help.
perthtruebluetwo

its not getting any better im posting stuff just now on the forum and when i hit submit to my post it takes an absolute age to post, it seems to stick and if i hit submit again by the time it goes through there are two identical posts,so the first one did go through, if you understand what i mean.
its happening on different pcs and different times of the day.
myff admin

I have given the database a restart to see if that will help.
myff admin

Your forum is also at a size where that could start of effect the speed. So you might consider trimming things a bit.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
Your forum is also at a size where that could start of effect the speed. So you might consider trimming things a bit.
is there a way to trim things without affecting posters post count ???
myff admin

I'm afraid not.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
I'm afraid not.
Well there must be some way of doing it as its now beginning to get out of hand the time it takes to post something,its actually embarrassing the speed its taking and its pushing members away from my forum onto other sites.
myff admin

As I say trim the the forum of very old posts.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
As I say trim the the forum of very old posts.
I would in a second if it didnt take away those posts from members post counts, all the other football forums i know of are able to trim the forums without it taking away from the members post counts.
bazfalty

mines just as bad at http://onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org

theres even a thread on it where people are complaining about it
perthtruebluetwo

bazfalty wrote:
mines just as bad at http://onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org

theres even a thread on it where people are complaining about it
Nothing will get done about it mate, youll be told to delete old posts which will then remove the posts from members post counts, which is completley unfair, there was a time when this place was the place to have a forum, new exciting stuff added all the time, nowadays the forums are an inconvenience, and if your unlucky enough to be on a phpbb3 forum then christ your a leper, if i knew how to move my forum and all its posts to somewhere else i would in a second.
Nick(NR)

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
Nothing will get done about it mate, youll be told to delete old posts which will then remove the posts from members post counts, which is completley unfair, there was a time when this place was the place to have a forum, new exciting stuff added all the time, nowadays the forums are an inconvenience, and if your unlucky enough to be on a phpbb3 forum then christ your a leper, if i knew how to move my forum and all its posts to somewhere else i would in a second.

"Nothing" ? your forum has had more power given to it more than once to cope and you say "nothing will get done", how respectful of you for admins past efforts to try and remedy a solution for YOU!

Such an unfair statement based on little database knowledge, if you were to go anywhere else you'd still be seeing a similar issue, databases are complex and highly detailed, I have in the past had to manually edit one with 64,000 posts, which had over 370,000 lines of code to manually edit, now think of how much bigger that would be on a forum like yours with around 600,000 posts, any system would start to struggle, as it has literally thousands if not a million plus lines to go through when it access's the information you request, couple that with multiple users requesting different or the same info, it will without a shadow of a doubt impede performance on any system.

I'd like to pitch a simple question, are all the topics really needed when you think some may be 4+ years old, especially when you think some of those may be silly little forum words games that haven't been touched for the last year? your not being asked to remove anything of value, just to think about ways you could help, at some point a forum of your size, you'd end up needing it to be on it's own server to ensure it has the power to cope, even then it's a matter of time before that starts to slow.
perthtruebluetwo

Nick(NR) wrote:
perthtruebluetwo wrote:

"Nothing" ? your forum has had more power given to it more than once to cope and you say "nothing will get done", how respectful of you for admins past efforts to try and remedy a solution for YOU!

Such an unfair statement based on little database knowledge, if you were to go anywhere else you'd still be seeing a similar issue, databases are complex and highly detailed, I have in the past had to manually edit one with 64,000 posts, which had over 370,000 lines of code to manually edit, now think of how much bigger that would be on a forum like yours with around 600,000 posts, any system would start to struggle, as it has literally thousands if not a million plus lines to go through when it access's the information you request, couple that with multiple users requesting different or the same info, it will without a shadow of a doubt impede performance on any system.

I'd like to pitch a simple question, are all the topics really needed when you think some may be 4+ years old, especially when you think some of those may be silly little forum words games that haven't been touched for the last year? your not being asked to remove anything of value, just to think about ways you could help, at some point a forum of your size, you'd end up needing it to be on it's own server to ensure it has the power to cope, even then it's a matter of time before that starts to slow.
I have no problem at all removing old posts but we seem to be the only forum who cant remove posts without it removing the posts from the users post count , i know of one forum which has over 75,000 members had over 8 million posts posted and over 250,000 topics started and they trim their forum every month and it doesnt affect their post count, surely it cant be that difficult  ???
perthtruebluetwo

Nick(NR) wrote:
perthtruebluetwo wrote:

And yes mabye i was slightly out of order saying nothing will get done, its down to pure frustration that moving to phpbb3 forum was indeed the worst thing my forum ever did, every single thing i have asked for or asked about receives the same answer no it cant be done, if phpbb3 was that bad it should never have been offered as an option to forum owners,yes i read the warnings from admin and mods about moving over to phpbb3 however i didnt think in a million years it would go this many years without anything being added to it.Isnt there any way we can move back to phpbb2 boards?
perthtruebluetwo

Cant this be done somewhere ?

How to prune topics/posts without lowering overall counts?
perthtruebluetwo

Plus in the forums admin panel we have the prune user option which has the option to Delete pruned user posts or not, so surely we can have an option to keep user post counts if we prune old posts?
perthtruebluetwo

I am happy to post i havent a clue whats changed lately however the speed of the forum is absolutely magnificent again.

Thank you to whoever or whatever has happened, credit where credit is due.
thanks guys.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum