Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
CodyT07

So I've been thinking about a trip to England

I know long time no talk. I've been mighty busy these last years, finishing High school and my first year at an University. My major is Homeland security and my University offers a class at the University of London I can take. (the name of the class is Understanding Terrorism). If it is still available I am going to try my best to take it next summer. It's a 5 week trip and while over there I am hoping to do two other things, see a football match and take a visit to Manchester.
So to my friends over the pond, hope to see you guys some day.
myff admin

Why Manchester?

Seems an odd priority?
CodyT07

myff admin wrote:
Why Manchester?

Seems an odd priority?

I have some friends there I would like to meet.
GentleD

Sounds like a good idea to me. You are young, you should take these kinds of opportunities when they arise. I do hope the course is still available to you. Good luck with it.

Kat
CodyT07

GentleD wrote:
Sounds like a good idea to me. You are young, you should take these kinds of opportunities when they arise. I do hope the course is still available to you. Good luck with it.

Kat

Much appreciated  
CodyT07

Update on this. So far it looks as though I am confirmed going   I'll be there from June 3rd to June 25th.
judy

I don't think you'll get to see a football match then - the season ends in May and restarts in August  
CodyT07

judy wrote:
I don't think you'll get to see a football match then - the season ends in May and restarts in August  

I noticed that a week before.   But I highly doubt it would be my only visit there if all goes well.
Bravo

Things to do:

1. Bring/buy a brolly  
2. Have a pint of bitter (better in North)
3. To strike up a conversation with any British person, anywhere, simply mention the weather.
4. Depending which part of the country you go to visit the Dales, North York Moors, Cotswolds, Welsh Valleys, Scottish Highlands etc, this is a beautiful country.

More may be added to this list as it occurs  
CodyT07

Planned things to do so far Bravo.

1. Kings Cross - Filming of Harry Potter's train scenes
2. University of London - taking my class there
3. Tour of the Mi5 facility.
4. Apparently we are going to see a lot of plays
5. Go to Pubs (but I'm not a fan of Alcohol   )

For Bravo's number 3, I am going to meet a friend in Manchester on the weekend and I have another friend going to meet from Coventry.

I would love to see the scenery. Quite relaxing.
Bravo

Don't make any bomb jokes when you go into the MI5 building, these people have no sense of humour  

Kings Cross is a bit of a dump really, while in London you could have a relaxing walk through one of the parks.  Pubs sell soft drinks and coffee etc but in London it is very expensive compared with the north.  An example I was in London (not tourist part) last year I got a pint of coke, they charged me £3.05 (around $7 maybe) for it.  I can go to the supermarket and get the same amount of coke for about 11p

The plays in London are really good, well worth going to see.

Countryside near Manchester you have the Peak District to the south east, to the east there is the Pennines and such as Saddleworth Moor. To the north, the Lake District and the north east the Yorkshire Dales.  While in Manchester itself try a pint of Boddingtons (a bitter) and a Lancashire hotpot (a meal).

An hour to the west you have the coastline and such as Blackpool which is on the Irish Sea.  There is a large theme park there as well as Blackpool Tower and other shows.

Just north of London you may like to visit a place called RAF Duxford, which is a sort of massive museum and there are a number of US aircraft there such as Memphis Belle etc, they do air shows there too, well worth a visit.
CodyT07

I'm starting to believe that 3 weeks simply isn't going to be enough   Funny you mentioned the museum, my grandpa was a Korean conflict pilot and I have a big interest in air craft. If it can be worked in, a visit there would be well worth my time.

I've heard Liverpool is a good place to visit as it centers around culture.
Bravo

That museum apparently has the biggest collection of US aircraft anywhere outside the US itself.  I've been and it was impressive.

Liverpool?  There isn't much there of particular interest, but depends what you are interested in.  British cities have long histories in comparison with the US so there is something everywhere you go.  If you like castles etc there are loads scattered all over the place to visit, too many to mention, same with stone circles (eg Stonehenge) there are little versions all over the place.  Iron age forts, battlesites, hadrians wall, roman roads and ruins, the ancient city of York with ghost walks along the old city walls, seaside resorts, fishing trips, Scottish Lochs...the list is endless, we have a lot to do in such a small country lol, all depends what kind of thing interests you most.  You're going to have a great time whatever you decide to do  Wink

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum