Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Server problem

We seem to have an attack on one of the servers.

This has taken some forums offline for now.

As usual people are wasting time by reporting the issue in seperate threads, when it was already commented on in a thread  easily found in latest posts
Bravo

As admin is clearly busy with this I have redirected folk here to keep up to speed with what's going on.  If any other threads pop up and none of the admins/mods are online, please redirect folk here, thanks.
myff admin

This is not much of an answer as the attack is ongoing.

But:

if you have forum say:

http://ansterboats.­myfreeforum.­org

then :

http://ansterboats.­zaphodt.myfreeforum.­org

Will access it for now.
myff admin

The attack has now been identified and work is ongoing to restore service.
Hawk

Bravo wrote:
As admin is clearly busy with this I have redirected folk here to keep up to speed with what's going on.  If any other threads pop up and none of the admins/mods are online, please redirect folk here, thanks.

I would like to say, thank you for your prompt, consideration in answering me. By the way I still can't find this thread, I thought I had reported it in the proper place. But I'll link others here if I see them post.
simplysubaruclub

help

Bravo wrote:

help i started a forum 12months ago and now its disappeared can any one help me please!!!
Myles

Did you try this?

myff admin wrote:
This is not much of an answer as the attack is ongoing.

But:

if you have forum say:

http://ansterboats.­myfreeforum.­org

then :

http://ansterboats.­zaphodt.myfreeforum.­org

Will access it for now.
Iain

Hi..my forum has seemingly totally disappeared.

wppja.myfreeforum. org

even using the zaphodt add on it doesn't seem to exist anymore...

is it looking promising that the forums will be recovered?

Thanks and good luck
Myles

I'd be surprised if the data on any forum has done a Houdini act, rather that some might have been temporarily taken offline to isolate them.

I wouldn't panic to be honest, it's just a case of waiting it out until Admin gets it sorted, then you'll be back in business.
Iain

Thanks for that Myles...

I shall open another beer,sit back and ignore the emails from the forum members fearing the worst
myff admin

sorry but only the main myfree and myfast domains had zaphodt added.

There are a lot of things going on right now.

myfreeforum should now be loading.
Iain

no worries..

your work is much appreciated..
myff admin

The very large majority of forums should now be back online.
peterboo

thank you so so so much for your help
its very appreciated
ansterboats admin , site is working again,  thought l was going to have a lot of upset people to deal with , new to this and not much of a clue  ....thank you
myff admin

The first couple of IPs i have tracked are Paraguay and Columbia!
Iain

all working here...

Thanks..
myff admin

Please everyone be aware of a few things here.

1) The attack has not entirely gone away.
2) Some of the attack looks like it might have used proxies and hence there may well have been some unfair bans on people.
3) Forums are back online via a convoluted mechanism. All is not actually well. Certainly you cannot expect the "control panel" to be working ok (note the control panel is NOT the admin panel).
CarolPaso

My forum is back up...my forumaholics are again breathing.  All is well.

Thank you

http://itsaboutthehorse.myfastforum.org/index.php
myff admin

The attack seems over for now and I have reset some stuff, we are ready to act if it recurs.
Myles

This is why i love MyFF, if there's ever an issue it gets solved and i know i don't have to worry.
Also, the hoster uses the experience of the issue to have a plan-of-action incase the same or similar issue arises in the future, not to mention that he has monitors, alarms, bells and whistles letting him know all the analytics needed so any problems are detected immediately, and resolved shortly afterwards. For the price of the adfree hosting the support is amazing compared to any other hoster i know. €60 for any other hoster wouldn't get anything near the support, knowledge, bandwidth and RAM that MyFF provides. I just love this service, it's lunatic!

...and no, i don't work for or know anyone at MyFF or Marsjupiter. I just can't get over how class it is, and no i'm not drunk either.
myff admin

Sad to say the attack has recurred, I moved the effect forum to the least used server to see if things would follow, and unfortunately it has allowed the attack to spark back to life, so now the firefight is on Slarti.
myff admin

Sorted again.

Tomorrow will be some robust testing of procedures, we have not had an attack of this magnitude in a very long time, probably never actually.

And a lot has changed in our set up since serious threats were last dealt with. Now on one level our new systems did okay, the proportion of forums effects was small, and on a lot of levels we were able to deal effectively.
But there were issues I can't really get into detail as that would only help the kind of scum doing this type of thing, but we can an will improve the systems.
BusyBee

Hello there,

Thank you so much for your hard work. We were one of the forums affected by the server being down and you providing the "alternate" entry point was of great use to our users.

Is it safe to say we can now resume accessing our forum (http://landytown.myfastforum.org/index.php) with the normal address or should we still use http://landytown.zaphodt.myfastforum.org/index.php for a while?

Thanks.
Natalie
myff admin

You should be able to use the normal address.

The DDOS was directed towards a particular forum and that forum has been moved into a black hole.

I have say the affair is very murky.

What will be ongoing and may cause a few moments of interruption on forums on another server is that I used some new techniques in dealing with this yesterday and some of the server configuration involved is a little complex and confusing in terms of things like "order of precedence" of things. So in the cold light of day I am setting up some clear test cases so that it can all be documented so it can be done again more quickly and coolly.
BusyBee

Thank you, I will advise our users that normal service has now been resumed.  

And will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you ....  

Best of luck in dealing with all this.
Natalie
myff admin

When trying to fix things under fire it is not surprising if one thinks that that your the one getting muddled over configuration logic    

But I have spent the morning working on this with test cases and the firewall being used for this is bizarre in the precedence of matching stuff, and so it was actually impossible to cleanly do what needed doing and the somewhat Heath Robinson method I ended up using was about the best bet.

I have now written a software patch for the firewall that gives a sane method of dealing with things.

There is still more to be done behind the firewall to complete the job.
myff admin

and the final bit done, which was a blatant but of getting a wrong number in my head and then thinking there was something strange with the way Apache is configured.  With the right numbers all works and what is more this has not been a purely academic exercise, there are advantages to what I'm doing there that may help with forums performance.
yankee

Hello everybody,

I created a forum about communications around 6 months ago and it does not work anymore. It says that forum is suspended and I don't know why and for how long. I read terms and conditions and I don't think that my forum violates any of these. My forum link is communication.myfreeforum.org
I hope someone can help me and hope this is the best topic where my question fits.

Thank you
myff admin

I have unsuspended.

It has nothing but spam in it. You can't just start a forum and leave it vulnerable and unattended.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum