Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Zudane

Search Portal

Is there any way to get the search portal to display only the first post of a thread by an author?

This way a single page could list all topics created within a forum (or on the entire board) while showing only the first post.
myff admin

This is really a phpbb3 question!

The search portal is a wrapper on the search code in phpbb3. If you can go to phpbb3 search and come up with the answers you want to see from the portal, then the portal can either do it, or be tweaked to do it.
Zudane

There is the option " First post of topics only".  So I'd guess it can be done!

And sorry, with phpbb2 and 3 having different portals and portal coding, I'm not sure where to post them at.

Perhaps it is time for a change, since phpbb3 is getting a bit larger, and this forum was originally when it was just bb2.
myff admin

Ok, if that option gives you what you want I will code it into the phpbb3 search portal next week.

I think the portal forum should probably be scrapped, with a few exceptions the portals have significant phpbb2/3 differences, enough as you say to make it confusing to ask for and give support.
Zudane

This makes things easier for me, the search thing, I mean.  This way, doing the creator pages, I can do a simple default page for them just showing the first posts ^_^

Since it's with the search feature, can the show the first _____ characters of post be added when you change it next week?
myff admin

it should be possible.
Nick(NR)

http://portalogy.myfabforum.org/index.php

I think I have sussed that one of hand, on the right??????????

Also just jacked a forum search portal into working, quite nicely too.
Zudane

even being able to tweak it, I wanted a way to be able to just plug a name in and bring up theirs.  Doing it once is one thing, but I want to be able to do it for anybody, at any time.
Nick(NR)

How close is what I've got and what else are you after on it if it is close?
Zudane

It looks pretty much like what I'm after, except I want it to show the full post of it, not cut any out.

And will the search portal parse the bbcode?  I've seen that the search portal doesn't always, even if the normal search does.  or is that just part of it cutting off part of the post?

Edit: looks like it's just from the truncate.  Showing the full post works for showing it correctly, but truncating it down to say 300 shows only the unparsed bbcode.
myff admin

The search portal probably will not be modified to parse bbcode, whilst the code is a copy of the search code it is still an area where it is far easier for the time being to stay in line with standard phpbb3.
Zudane

Too fast a reply boss!  I found it is just whether or not the post is cut short.
Zudane

Just bumping this back up.
myff admin

No problem, as soon as the dust settles...
Zudane

Any idea on a time span for this...?

I'm hoping to be able to use it soon to make a few changes on my forum - remove the individual forums and replace them with a page that shows this.

For example I'm doing creator pages: http://harsh-reality.net/profiles.html and I want to be able to use a default page that shows the user's posts.
myff admin

It isn't forgotten.

The catalog portal needed to get installed first, as it is a loose end and I'm keen to get things under control.

But following finishing that tomorrow, them the search portal is quite a good choice of work.
Zudane

I know it wasn't forgotten, but I didn't know how buried it got in the to-do list, which seems to have gotten busier lately.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum