Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
Cite

Rollback

narutorpcenter.myfastforums.org (2/8/16)

Okay so basically this is about the 3rd or 4th time that Naruto RP Center has been hit by a rogue admin/account. So again, we've tried to get up with the actual head admin of the forum (Lavathing9), and again, he is a no show (as Head of Forums run the site in his absence since he usually doesn't come around). So as you can see, majority of the sub-forums have been deleted, I presume by the Editor account, and we'd like to see them restored. We (the members) are already going about ways to cover the rollback fee, though before that moment I felt it in everyone's best interest to know if we as a community can ask for a rollback with the head admin being AWOL? Or would ownership of the forum have to change hands to make that a possibility? Nonetheless, whatever the solution, we greatly appreciate your help in helping us resolve this issue.
myff admin

Ownership would have to change.
What is it about your membership that keeps on causing this?
The fee for a restore is no where near covering the hours involved in doing it, and the lesson should be learnt first time round.
Cite

myff admin wrote:
Ownership would have to change.
What is it about your membership that keeps on causing this?
The fee for a restore is no where near covering the hours involved in doing it, and the lesson should be learnt first time round.

One would think. But the issue stems from staff changes. Generally when someone goes inactive as a part of the admin team, or are outvoted by other members of staff and the members, they are removed from their admin position. This leaves a bit of venom with some, and due to some...discrepancies of those acting with admin power, they don't end up changing the password on another admin account (the current situation so the rogue still had access to it). And in the past it was sleeper accounts former admins made, or admins quitting and leaving with a bang. Personally I'm just as tired of it happening as you lol, I've been on the forum 10 years in October, and every time it grinds my gears that security in such issues are often overlooked by the upper echelon of the staff team.
Cite

Nonetheless, we're going thru the motions to change site ownership. We have a topic up and all that goodness.
myff admin

Bear in mind though a rollback is just that, posts and member since the rollback are always lost.
Cite

That takes us back 7 days from the incident, yes?
Cite

Also to note, I've attempted to contact Lavathing9 about this issue. He's yet to respond. (both mburke4@oswego.edu & lavathing9@hotmail.com)

http://narutorpcenter.myfastforum.org/ftopic45882-40.php

You can see that I (Cite) have all of the votes for the ownership transfer by majority of the active member base.
myff admin

I will email myself, but there is an issue here in that I have to allow reasonable time, hence you are inevitably going to be rolled back something like three weeks. You may be better off cutting losses.
Cite

Okay that's fine. We'll wait it out.
myff admin

Can you give the date you want to rollback to? backups expire and I need to make sure the particular data is retained. Even now I can't make promises.
The system is not intended for this situation.
Cite

About February 6th would be fine, or anything less than that. I know it's probably a burden, and for that I apologize. D:
Cite

We still haven't managed to get up with Lava, are we gettin any closer to an ownership swap? :o
myff admin

I have to be "reasonable" and allow 2 weeks for a reply.
Cite

14 days it is, woot woot \(^_^)/. Thank you for being so patient and helpful with me.
alexhatcher

I cannot pm the admin this so I've resorted to posting this.

The roll back fee has been paid for, I went ahead and donated to get this fee covered.  Though I'm a total scrub and messed the conversion rate up. No matter.(if you wish to refund the accidental excess amount then that is entirely on you, It was my fault)

1US13377R2222790T is the transaction ID

Either way, it has been paid for all that fun stuff. Enjoy.
myff admin

paypal has the payment on "hold" for some reason.
Cite

Blah setbacks. But I'll get up with Alex and see what this whole hold situation is about.
alexhatcher

the payment went to on hold because I have my paypal set up to only pay what I intended, since I transfer $ to paypal, so it would be on hold auto until either 1. it confirms that you'd refund the extra $ donated, since I donated more than 15$, or that the issue gets resolved by us saying no, it wont be refunded.
myff admin

I can't issue a refund on a held payment, and as stated before the internal cost of a refund massively exceeds what we charge, and this is not the first restore done on this forum.
alexhatcher

then dont worry about the excess amount, the bank was notified to let the excess go through. It should no longer be on hold at all.

also, don't worry, this will be the last restore you'll ever need to do on this forum. This is not an 'if' or 'when' statement, but I can almost guarantee, with the new ownership shift, it will never need another rollback.

Anyways, EDIT: Bank has confirmed payment is no longer 'on hold' and went through entirely via paypal. Enjoy, and thank you for the roll back.
myff admin

Not yet saying that this end, assuming it does go through rollback will be tomorrow morning.
Cite

Another member (Destiny/DesZephyr) made a $15  transaction to the rollback.

This is the transaction ID: 2N712862VT456853J
myff admin

The original was still on hold when I check a couple of times today.
I will restore in the morning.
Cite

Excellent. I appreciate your time with this issue. ^_^.
alexhatcher

I do not see how it is on hold, it is 100% taken from my bank, I can show proof via screen shot if need be.  Though only via pm due to sensitive  information being put up
myff admin

The rollback has been done, as for the on hold thing, it is not what the bank says that matters, it is what your and my paypal says. My paypal still shows on hold.
alexhatcher

according to my paypal, and I can provide a screenshot via pm as well as soon as I am allowed to use pm. That all charges are 100% done, and all have been withdrawn to accordance. All of my transactions show "completed"

You may need to be checking your email associated with your paypal account to confirm due to the issue from before, however on my end, everything IS completed, and checking & calling the support from yesterday when I called. All is still waiting on you.
Lavathing

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, but I was unaware this was happening. Although there are claims that I've been contacted by email, that is just not the case. Here is my email searching for the term Naruto: http://i.imgur.com/LhWVD7L.png

I check my email regularly, which is why I realized last night I lost my admin/owner account because I got this email from my account:

Quote:
Naruto Roleplay Center has moved to http://narutorpcenter.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx and has now reopened! This is version five, and with it we have upgraded several systems to include more diversity as well as make the forum more balanced for everyone. Also note for the old players who had things from Raffles/Trades/Purchases, you can get things reimbursed here http://narutorpcenter.jcink.net/i...wtopic=80&st=0&#entry207. So we hope that you return to play and expand with us as NRC continues to grow and celebrate it's 10th anniversary!

If you are receiving this email in error as you are not a member of the forum, or if you wish to disable your account, then please click the following link

http://narutorpcenter.com/disableaccount.php

So, clearly I check my email regularly and have not received anything regarding an ownership change. In fact, this exact same scenario has played out before: http://forum.myfreeforum.org/sutra148624.php#148624 (I tried to log into my old account here "Lavathing9" and it says the account is inactive?). Back then ownership was given back to me because I was not actually absent. As I said before, I may not be the most active on the forums anymore in terms of posting, I maintain the forums still as well as paying the bills.

I would like to have my ownership restored. I've maintained this forum for nearly a decade as one of the largest forums on this network (I believe, last I checked). As you (admin) previously said, the original owner should remain in control unless an unreasonable amount of time has passed since ownership has changed. Here I am, less than 24 hours later. Source: http://forum.myfreeforum.org/sutra148678.php#148678

Finally, I'd like to note, that the new "owners" have already moved to a new forum provider as the email I quoted above mentioned. It is located here: http://narutorpcenter.jcink.net/index.php?

Clearly they just took ownership so they could send out the mass email and use my account to tell everyone to move over to their forum. I have zero intention of ever leaving MYFF, where these new "owners" are clearly trying to leave MYFF and abandon the forum they so recently "inherited".

Any help is appreciated admin, and (not trying to sound rude here) time is of the essence, since the new "owners" are quickly funneling members off the MYFF forum onto their new location. Thank you.
myff admin

I did email you on the email address in the control panel, and there was a thread for a considerable time on the forum.
As you say though you are known to be the owner unless absent and I will give you the control panel password.
Cite

Here's proof that I also tried to contact you on the 9th about the issue as well http://i.imgur.com/TP6sdtC.png. It wasn't like the forum was just snatched from under you...we all waited for a minute in order to be rolled back, and you never showed up. So I got the ball rolling so people could get back to RPing accordingly.
Lavathing

myff admin wrote:
I did email you on the email address in the control panel, and there was a thread for a considerable time on the forum.
As you say though you are known to be the owner unless absent and I will give you the control panel password.

I still can't find the email from you, even looked at spam folders. Was it the oswego.edu email or the hotmail one? Regardless, thank you, I made a large announcement on my forums about changes going forward and hopefully that addresses most of the issues we've been having (especially the issue with rollbacks being required). Sorry for the inconvenience to you.

Cite wrote:
Here's proof that I also tried to contact you on the 9th about the issue as well http://i.imgur.com/TP6sdtC.png. It wasn't like the forum was just snatched from under you...we all waited for a minute in order to be rolled back, and you never showed up. So I got the ball rolling so people could get back to RPing accordingly.

Just found the one you sent to my email that is still active, the hotmail one hasn't been active in years. For some reason it was spam filtered. My fault, I take responsibility. However, I created a new email account specifically for forum related stuff so that emails won't be missed in the shuffle. I included it in an announcement back on NRC.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum