Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
EvanP

Recovering Password

http://swapitshopdaily.myfreeforum.org/

Hi

I was sold this forum a while back from a guy called Dom.1994, but he never gave me the Control Panel password. He now can't remember the password or the password to his email account so can't give me the password and can't reset it.

Can you manually reset it for me please? I can get him to post here to confirm if nessacary?

Thanks
myff admin

The only way of changing ownership without password authorisation is to cross link a thread on the forum concerned to a thread here, so that over a period of a week we can see that there is conformation of the change of ownership from the members of the forum.
EvanP

But it's very inactive, only about 10 posts over the last week.

I can give a link to a thread the previous owner made saying that i'd taken the forum over??
myff admin

Then do so, but unless it is clear they are the previous owner, then ownership cannot be changed without a mandate from the membership.

A forum is a database of members email addresses, that is not handed over without proper process.
EvanP

Hi

Ok, here is the link to that thread: http://swapitdaily.com/Decided_to_sell_about411.html

Also, here is a link to the thread in which a deal was conceived:
http://extratime.myfanforum.org/A_forum_for_5_about1507.html

This should be sufficent evidence for you to reset the password.

Thanks, could you please PM me the new password.

Evan
myff admin

So this is a deal that had not the faintest to do with the forums own members

But I see you are the admin of the forum so the damage has already been done.

So I will reluctantly reset the password.
Avalon

Lost Password and defunk email

I'm really sorry to trouble you- my forum is

http://thewaidiet.myfreeforum.org/

Without much explanation- I've been away and going through life stuff- I'm the administrator and have tried as far as I know everything to retrieve the password. I believe my original email address is long gone. Is there anyway to get back in? Have it sent to a new email? The one I used to sign up here? Ideas welcome. And thank you for your trouble.
myff admin

You can also try via the control panel.

http://myfreeforum.org/index.php?...amp;task=loginforum&Itemid=27

failing that, you can email admin[at]myfreeforum.org with what you can remember. e.g. probably passwords, email etc and if you convince us you are the owner we will reset the owner email.

We can't be over casual about this. Security of forums has to be respected.
Avalon

Cross link?

Can I ask what cross link a thread here means? Thanx.
myff admin

Post a link to this topic on the topic on your forum and a link to the topic on your forum in this topic.

But in this case I have not asked for that only for details of your old forum setup, likely passwords and email addresses used to create it.
Avalon

Sadly, that's why I can't get in. I've lost the password and the emails I have now aren't working. I let a couple email addresses go so my password can't be sent there
Bravo

A lot of trouble to go to for a forum with only 71 posts tbh, it's only the basic template too, so not as though a lot of hard work has been lost.  Would be easier to form a new one.
Avalon

I hear ya. Still- I didn't know how much trouble would be involved. But I completely understand. The thing is also I feel the reason I created the site is still valid and apparently people stop by and I kick myself for losing access- just to have access. Anyway...
Bravo

We have to be very security conscious on forum owners behalf, and so by necessity there need to be hoops to jump through in this sort of instance.  I understand people using different emails to sign up to MFF in the first place, these days you sign up to almost anything and your inbox is inundated with all sorts of garbage.  MFF has I think sent one mass email out in 6 years.
myff admin

Did we do even one?

I recollect writing the email software with all appropriate opt out stuff, but I can't recall it being used. Every now and gain we do threaten to do a newsletter and it would actually be a good thing to do, if done very occasionally.

Back to the forum in question, we do need a shred of evidence that you are the owner. We are not asking much, but there has to be something.
Bravo

myff admin wrote:
Did we do even one?

I seem to recall you may have done a test one at some point but it's very hazy so very likely it never happened  
Avalon

DNA sample Well, like I said I totally understand. and what I'm about to say won't help my cause but I'm feeling chatty at 5:50am. I started my forum The Wai Diet Because one of the creators of the Original started changing the rules- created his own off-chute of it that to me was twisting the original e-book and he started changing post headers to suit his version and in good tyrant fashion deleted posts that that were contradictory. I felt a forun about what was happening was in order.

The thing is I haven't used many different passwords over the last few years but my luck has not a single one that I can think of- working.

Don't worry about it. As I created an AvalonII there I can at least post from time to time if need be(thank God I didn't need approval).

Best wishes,
Avalon

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum