Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
perthtruebluetwo

Pruning forum without lowering post count.

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :rangersonlineloyal.myfastforum.org/

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:pruning

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

prune forum without lowering post count.

Is the above possible for my forum, because if so i can prune well over 100,000 posts?
myff admin

Post counts will be effect by a prune. sorry.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
Post counts will be effect by a prune. sorry.
And thats your final word on the matter is it ???

You wont even make the effort to fix this ridiculous problem will you.

Because i will NOT be pruning when it affects post count.
myff admin

tampering with the code on post count is not trivial. I will not be risking the stability of forums for the sake of people keeping a number by a post.
perthtruebluetwo

As i suspected is there anything planned in the next 50 years for phpbb3 on here ?????

So there is no fix or answer to my problem, is there not even a way we can go back to phpbb2 if we paid a fee ?
myff admin

Please think about it from our point of view, phpbb3 is I think we agree pretty awful.

Sooner or later there may be phpbb4 or some other viable upgrade path.

If we take on the painful task of trying to twiddle phpbb3 into something better.

1) It would be almost impossible.
2) We would break the upgrade path to phpbb4.

Downgrading is not technically possible, and as you know we very deliberately.

1) Tried to tell people not to change.
2) Made it possible for them to do an upgrade, decide it was what they really wanted before moving over fully.

I'm hoping something comes out that gives us a good option, something less complex than phpBB3 and something with much better code.
That is another Elephant in the room invisible to the users, the code in phpbb3 is not good, and actually needs a lot of hacking to make it work on a multi forum system.
perthtruebluetwo

myff admin wrote:
Please think about it from our point of view, phpbb3 is I think we agree pretty awful.

Sooner or later there may be phpbb4 or some other viable upgrade path.

If we take on the painful task of trying to twiddle phpbb3 into something better.

1) It would be almost impossible.
2) We would break the upgrade path to phpbb4.

Downgrading is not technically possible, and as you know we very deliberately.

1) Tried to tell people not to change.
2) Made it possible for them to do an upgrade, decide it was what they really wanted before moving over fully.

I'm hoping something comes out that gives us a good option, something less complex than phpBB3 and something with much better code.
That is another Elephant in the room invisible to the users, the code in phpbb3 is not good, and actually needs a lot of hacking to make it work on a multi forum system.
I appreciate that reply Admin, and i can understand why you do things but you must understand my frustration, the post count is absolute vital to my forum , its how we regulate tickets for the football ect, i could delete all users who havent logged in for years and delete their posts, but that would be a short term solution ,is there no way to even me starting another forum on myff and us exporting the forum to that ?
Bravo

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
the post count is absolute vital to my forum , its how we regulate tickets for the football ect

I see that you have a reason for wanting to keep the post counts, and appreciate you're working very hard on this issue for the benefit of your forum members, I hope they appreciate the hard work you're putting into this.

As a short to medium term solution, could I suggest you announce to your forum that the ticket allocations for technical reasons will have to be along a more recent activity on the forum rather than overall activity. Yes, a few older hands may lose out, but I would imagine things would remain the same for your core membership, and it will also be a useful tool to keep your forum active on an ongoing basis, keep active discussions on the team's progress etc, and as we all know an active forum is a successful forum.

I know it's not perfect and not exactly what you want, but we all have to work with what we've got in life rather than what we wish we've got.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum