Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
myff admin

Please send this facebook group viral!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?...1741183775&id=155442844516998

Its a simple enough idea that would help a lot.
Bravo

A good idea.  Years ago I once was out with my girlfriend at the time, came out of the nightclub slightly worse for wear.  A very insistent guy tried to get us in his 'cab'.  Luckily I had the sense of mind to walk round the back and look for the plate, and there was none.  He may have just been trying to earn an illegal living, or something more sinister, either way it is bad news.
judy

I thought the man they arrested was a genuine taxi driver?
myff admin

judy wrote:
I thought the man they arrested was a genuine taxi driver?

In this case yes, but the problem is a common one, and now is as good a time as any to try and do this.
judy

I really don't see the point - anyone who wants to masquerade as a taxi will simply buy a sign: http://www.taxi-roofsign.com/

Most taxi roof-top signs are removable, as the taxi is usually the family car and taxi drivers prefer to remove the sign when they're not working.

If you want a taxi late at night then surely the thing to do is to phone a reputable taxi firm and book one, not just hope there'll be one outside?
myff admin

I think that misses a couple of key points.

1) People coming out of clubs don't tend to be sensible about taxis.
2) Even if a roof sign is removable it is a lot more conspicuous to hide from neighbours/family etc than a fake taxi plate.
Bravo

Someone with a big fat sign on their roof masquerading as a taxi is a lot easier to spot in a crowd than someone in a plain car masquerading as a taxi.  And it is a lot easier to prove that they were indeed illegally posing as a licensed taxi, as they had a big fat taxi sign on their roof.  Be a lot harder to prove in the instance of a plain car, one would say 'yes I thought he was a taxi', the other would say 'no I was just being a good samaritan offering a stranger a lift'.  One word against the other is very hard to prove.
judy

But wouldn't you (or rather an unspecified female) be even more likely to get into an illegal taxi if it had a sign on its roof?
myff admin

Maybe but surely on balance if it is far harder to masquerade as a Taxi, then the pros outweigh the cons.
Bravo

judy wrote:
But wouldn't you (or rather an unspecified female) be even more likely to get into an illegal taxi if it had a sign on its roof?

Someone can put a taxi sign on their roof now, can they not?  The link posted earlier seemed to show that it was possible.

Moreover, new laws passing in this regard would have the effect of heightening awareness that this problem exists and so increase everyones awareness.

At the end of the day it wouldn't be a sure fire way of stopping a problem.  Show me any law that ever stopped crime.  But what it would do is reduce it, and increase the likelihood of conviction.
judy

Sorry but I remain unconvinced - I don't think it would make any difference.
Bravo

judy wrote:
Sorry but I remain unconvinced - I don't think it would make any difference.

You may very well be right.  However, if this campaign brings to the attention of just one person who would have blindly clambered into a rogue taxi and saved them from harm, then it is a worthwhile campaign in my view  Wink

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum