Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.
 


       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Physical server moves IP changes

This is advanced warning that the servers the forums are on are due to be moved to another rack.

One result of this will be "some" down time.

The other rather more relevant fact is that the IP addresses will all change

This is a royal PITA but cannot be avoided.

If you are on your own domain and that domain is not using myff.org DNS then we will not be able to change it for you and the own domain will cease to work.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but this is ultimately an upgrade as the racks are much better in terms of power and network redundancy.
SRSeditor

Can you give us advance warning of when and the new IP please?

Our forum is forced redirect to our domain so won't work until the ip address is changed.

Could we point our DNS at you before the move rather than just having an ip address A record?
SRSeditor

I've just tried to add our domain to your free service but it says it's already defined so won't let me ...
myff admin

It will already be on the system so if you are using our DNS service by pointing your domain DNS to use :
ns1.myff.org
ns2.myff.org
ns3.myff.org
ns4.myff.org

it should work now and should work seamlessly apart from when the actual forum is moved.
Basically this will be a two phase thing, first the forums proxy will be cloned, this will have a new ip and all addresses we control will be changed.
At this point nothing will go down as users will either see the old or new address and both will work. Later the old ip will die as its physical machine gets moved.
The forums themselves will firstly be live snapshotted as a safety measure, then their machines will be moved rack. This is taking 1-2 hours at the moment, we know this as we are shifting loads of machines right now, but have not yet done any with forums on.
It's looking to be Monday when we start flipping proxy addresses, as the cloning is just about to start.
SRSeditor

Ok great, will give it a go, thanks.
SRSeditor

SRSeditor wrote:
Ok great, will give it a go, thanks.


Moved over ... all looking good. Hopefully this will reduce our downtime. Thanks
SRSeditor

Forum is resolving fine, what I forgot though is that now using your dns all our email against the domain are now broken.
myff admin

give me the records you need and I will add them.
SRSeditor

There are several mailbox's hosted by our registrar 1and1 plus a load of forwards. Not just MX records.
SRSeditor

myff admin wrote:
Basically this will be a two phase thing, first the forums proxy will be cloned, this will have a new ip and all addresses we control will be changed.
At this point nothing will go down as users will either see the old or new address and both will work. Later the old ip will die as its physical machine gets moved.


I think I will go with just updating the A record @ 1&1 as soon as you say the new one is live. If you could let me have the IP address ASAP that would be great. Hopefully the users DNS will move over to the new address in time before the old address dies. I have now control over the 1&1 TTL setting so it will be a fingers crossed approach.
SRSeditor

myff admin wrote:
It's looking to be Monday when we start flipping proxy addresses, as the cloning is just about to start.


Any progress updates you can give please?
myff admin

If you manage your own DNS and your forums ip was:

109.169.13.135

it now needs to be:

78.129.139.242

Please note the new ip is on a place on our internal network that is not exactly next door to the actual forum at the moment, this means it may be a little slower, though the connection seems stable enough right now.
MickEssex

mog.myfreeforum.org

We are still experiencing problems accessing our site using our own domain name http://morrisminorowners.co.uk, the http://mog.myfreeforum.org address works fine. I have checked dns setting (1and1) the results appear to be correct:

Domain name : morrisminorowners.co.uk
IP Address (A-Record) : 78.129.139.242
Name server 1: ns3.myff.org
Name server 2: ns2.myff.org
Name server 3: ns4.myff.org
Name server 4: ns1.myff.org

Should we still be experiencing issues? The problem seems to be a bit sporadic.

Cheers
Mick

myff admin

Your domain was spotted as having an issue late in the process. I apologise for that.
On further examination there was still a record, again I apologise that has now been fixed.
MickEssex

Thanks for your swift action, and for supplying a first rate service.

Mick

myff admin

zaphod proxy2 is on the move from 109.169.13.190  to 78.129.139.250
zaphod proxy3 is on the move from 109.169.13.191  to 78.129.139.251

So if you control your own DNS it will need updating.
myff admin

slart proxy2 moved from 109.169.13.192 to 78.129.139.246
myff admin

jeltz proxy3 moved from 109.169.13.195 to 78.129.139.245
myff admin

fordproxy2 moving from 109.169.13.161 to 78.129.139.240
myff admin

wonkoproxy2 moving from 109.168.13.188 to 78.129.139.241
SRSeditor

myff admin wrote:
wonkoproxy2 moving from 109.168.13.188 to 78.129.139.241


Shame notification email seem to have stopped working again so I didn't get to see this until the forum went offline. Just updated our DNS records ...
judy

My forum's on wonko and my domain name points to your myff nameservers.

The forum itself is working normally if accessed using the myff address, but if accessed using my domain name it seems to be very slow and sometimes can't get on at all. Any suggestions? Or is it just a matter of waiting until the new address propogates through?
SRSeditor

SRSeditor wrote:
myff admin wrote:
wonkoproxy2 moving from 109.168.13.188 to 78.129.139.241


Shame notification email seem to have stopped working again so I didn't get to see this until the forum went offline. Just updated our DNS records ...


In fact now the DNS has updated we are getting the 'your forum is gone page'

audisrs dot com is on permanent forward to audisrs.myfastforum.org ... neither seem to be working since the move
SRSeditor

SRSeditor wrote:
SRSeditor wrote:
myff admin wrote:
wonkoproxy2 moving from 109.168.13.188 to 78.129.139.241


Shame notification email seem to have stopped working again so I didn't get to see this until the forum went offline. Just updated our DNS records ...


In fact now the DNS has updated we are getting the 'your forum is gone page'

audisrs dot com is on permanent forward to audisrs.myfastforum.org ... neither seem to be working since the move


In fact I've just pinged audisrs.myfastforum.org and get 78.129.139.248 when we were on 109.168.13.188 ...

I've just updated our DNS to match 248 rather than 241 ... Hope this works!
perthtruebluetwo

judy wrote:
My forum's on wonko and my domain name points to your myff nameservers.

The forum itself is working normally if accessed using the myff address, but if accessed using my domain name it seems to be very slow and sometimes can't get on at all. Any suggestions? Or is it just a matter of waiting until the new address propogates through?
Im getting the same, any ideas, its driving my members nuts lol.
myff admin

It's loading for me.

But I'll be the first to bet that in the 15000 odd DNS changes so far, there are still going to be a few issues
SRSeditor

SRSeditor wrote:
SRSeditor wrote:
SRSeditor wrote:
myff admin wrote:
wonkoproxy2 moving from 109.168.13.188 to 78.129.139.241


Shame notification email seem to have stopped working again so I didn't get to see this until the forum went offline. Just updated our DNS records ...


In fact now the DNS has updated we are getting the 'your forum is gone page'

audisrs dot com is on permanent forward to audisrs.myfastforum.org ... neither seem to be working since the move


In fact I've just pinged audisrs.myfastforum.org and get 78.129.139.248 when we were on 109.168.13.188 ...

I've just updated our DNS to match 248 rather than 241 ... Hope this works!


This worked and is still working so I assume you gave the wrong IP address originally? ...
bearing

Having a lot of problems with our site at the moment.

www.regdafishthinktank.com

At this moment in time myself and a lot of our members are getting this message 'Please set DNS to 78.129.139.242 for access to your forum' we can however get on via http://regdafishthinktank.myfreeforum.org/

I have checked DNS settings and everything in there seems to be as it should.

NS1: ns1.myff.org
NS2: ns2.myff.org
NS3: ns3.myff.org
NS4: ns4.myff.org

A-Record: 78.129.139.242

Any ideas what is causing this problem?
myff admin

thanks for the report, faults have been found and corrected. Normal service should resume shortly.
bearing

myff admin wrote:
thanks for the report, faults have been found and corrected. Normal service should resume shortly.


Thanks very much, all seems to be up and working now.

       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum