Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

phpbb3.08

Just to let folks know, this is now ready to be installed and is undergoing in office testing currently.

As phpbb3 upgrades go, this has been the easiest... but that might be lulling us into a false sense of complacency.

My plan would probably be to wait till Saturday morning to actually go live with 3.08.
bazfalty

any news on the update yet
myff admin

Its in, though I have not yet updated the version information to reflect the fact.
judy

I'm assuming it's something to do with the software upgrade, but now if you click 'view unread posts' you get a message "Sorry but searching for unread posts has been disabled on this board". I can't find an option to enable/disable this.....
myff admin

Its in Server Configuration/Load settings.

Good grief finger on the pulse of vital forum features from the phpbb3 developers there NOT  

Just what is the point of making that optional? anyone have a clue?
Bravo

myff admin wrote:

What would 'unread posts' throw up?  New posts since last visit?

If it had been like a year on a busy forum, would that put a lot of strain on the forum?  I don't know, just a thought is all.
judy

myff admin wrote:
Its in Server Configuration/Load settings.

Good grief finger on the pulse of vital forum features from the phpbb3 developers there NOT  

Thanks Admin   and I looked there too! There's none so blind as those who will not see  
judy

And another little niggle......

On both the index page and the forum pages, where there is a key to icons at the bottom, the icons for 'new posts' do not appear (the text does appear, but not the icons).
myff admin

That looks like they are not set in the template in imageset.
judy

But they show up within the page when there are new posts, and they were in the key last week....

However, I'll check
myff admin

Well if you are sure they are in and out of showing, then it must be a bug.
judy

Yes, they're in the imageset
myff admin

I see the issue. For the sake of being semantically correct, they have chosen to break all the templates  

Basically where things were called FOLDER_NEW_IMG the name is now FOLDER_UNREAD_IMG and so on.

It is a totally moronic change.

At this moment I don't know whether to tell you to change the template or that we will try and make some kind of change for backwards compatibility.
judy

I had a quick look on phpbb3styles.net, and it seems that there are style changes which have to be made for v3.08 - very few styles have actually been updated yet though  
myff admin

I'm sorry to say that I'm leaning towards letting people make the best of it.

Adding server load and confusing things as phpbb3 continues to develop is not a great option and that is what backwards compatibility attempts tend to do.

Obviously we will deal with template requests on demand, if they can point to a new version, and at some point when there has been a chance for templates to be updated we will do another massive round of template clean outs.

I still cannot think of anything to say about this change other than moronic.
judy

That's OK, it's just cosmetic really - the forum still functions fine  

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum