Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Zudane

phpbb3.0.6 RC1

Yep the new one is out right now, not a formal release yet but still.

I'm happy with the addition of the quickreply and the default option to us reCAPTCHA.  the reCAPTCHA both aids in bringing text books to digital format and removes the CAPTCHA stress from the domain owners, because their service will update the CAPTCHA if it is broken.

I'm installing it on mine right now - so I'll report back with how it goes.
myff admin

Roll on a release we can really work with  
Zudane

Well, having to update the template manually was a royal pain - because they tweak a lot of settings, allowing things to work out better.

The quickreply is nice and easily follows the forum's styling, PM's can now be reported rather than just forwarded, I have the reCAPTCHA system in... other minor changes done as well, including the ability to broadcast a forum as a feed - does not work for links or categories - and you can set news feeds or select specific forums to not feed.

A couple other features I like... group leaders can be exempt from the group permissions - allowing someone to control access to a group that restricts posting without having their own restricted posting...  New members are in a 'newly registered' group that they leave after a certain post count - making it much easier to control new members....  And board-wide avatar disabling.

All in all I'm happy with it, pretty solid for the first RC, though all templates will need to be updated to follow suit.
Bravo

Sounds good there Zudane.  You're doing a great job on the pioneering front
myff admin

Horrible news about the templates though
Zudane

Aye, 26 total edits (not counting the cfg files, which just changes bb version)

Some are minor, like moving a line, others are major with things like the captcha becoming it's own module (can select one of around 6 types of captcha to use)..

Oh, and I like that you can send statistics to phpbb... such as configuration and what not.
Viper

They only just added Quick Reply?

Wow.. it's only taken them.. what.. 8 years?
myff admin

And they have waited until 1000's of people have written phpbb3 templates that will now need fixing
Zudane

Well, the templates will be a royal pain, but at least they did the changes a bit easier.  Rather than making the templates add in the other parts, all that the templates really need changing with are references.

The quick reply only needs to add the call to the quickreply template.  But it's not taken 8 years for the quickreply... phpbb2 has had quickreply, even if just as a mod.
Nick(NR)

Zudane wrote:
Well, the templates will be a royal pain, but at least they did the changes a bit easier.  Rather than making the templates add in the other parts, all that the templates really need changing with are references.

The quick reply only needs to add the call to the quickreply template.  But it's not taken 8 years for the quickreply... phpbb2 has had quickreply, even if just as a mod.

vipers point is that it's taken them 8 years to make something of an extra that many other forum systems have as a standard feature in their product, personally, I wont be using bb3's quick reply on my hosted forums and will stick with primehalo's as tbh it's better
while()

I've never understood the point of quick reply, encourages poor posting.
myff admin

I agree, but to some degree at least the customer is always right, or at least needs the opportunity to try something to see if it works for them.
Viper

while() wrote:

How does it exactly?

Maybe on a support forum like this, which is why it's been disabled here and most other forums use it. IIRC the reason it was disabled is because of the posting checklist but I still fail to see how it encourages poor posting.
myff admin

Normal reply is a two stage thing, where you then have to scroll down the review what you were replying to. I think it creates just a little more room for thought.
Gosu71

while() wrote:

Wrong
while()

Gosu71 wrote:
while() wrote:

Wrong

I'd love you to show evidence to back that up.
myff admin

Please find something worthwhile to squabble about, quick reply is just too trivial a subject to have a pointless argument about.
Nick(NR)

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
Normal reply is a two stage thing, where you then have to scroll down the review what you were replying to. I think it creates just a little more room for thought.

quick reply is almost always under the last post, so reviewing what you reply to would become easier than having to click back or try and read the small window housing topic review, it also reduces the amount of clicking per thread a person responds to, this for me on a lager forum would encourage a more rapid discussion, while some would say this would also encourage a flame war to happen sooner, but that is likely to happen in some threads regardless of how fast the topic moved, I fail to see how anyone saying quick reply encourages poor posting when people can still go the normal route and still post some utter drivel.
Zudane

For me it is easier using the quickreply, in part because I've got some users with poor connections (at some or all places they connect from) so the quick reply saves a minute or two load time.

But still, I think we had this discussion somewhere else.
Zudane

One thing I forgot to mention:  Smiley pagination.  You can now have the smiley window (pop-up only) show pages of smileys, rather than one long chain.
myff admin

useful and obvious and no doubt we have to fix templates..
Zudane

Well, I thought it would be a better addition to add a dynamic feature to the posting page smileys, but the pop-up pagination isn't that bad.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum