Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
waspman

Okay so i have a few questions before i start again

Okay so my other site[which i gave away] is not mine i thought id make another one but before i do i want opinions like Also the forum will be about bees/wasps/hornets
What kind of name should it be called?
How many catagories?
How many forums?
How many posts should i make before i ask others to join?
How do i promote my forum so i can get more members?
Ill ask more questions later.
Zudane

Would you like us to create the forum and admin it for you as well?

It's your forum!  Name, design, layout, forum count and content are all your choice!

It's one thing to ask for tips on a forum that is already created, but you are asking us to tell you how to make a successful forum.

There's an easy guide posted somewhere around here about all of it, let me find it real fast...

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/about1869.html

That will give you some of the best advice, and just go from there.  Create the forum, advertise it with people that are interested - insect forums I would expect to be a difficult start, it's not a very large interest group.
waspman

I made it http://thebigsting.myfineforum.or...=a370c7118099d99d2acba2872ab8a620
Zina2008

Do watch out for those Google adverts, won't you?

Click to see full size image

I remember seeing something very similar stuck on the bottom of a plug for the Ants forum . . .
Zudane

Well, google uses keywords, and more people look for wasp removal than wasp care.
waspman

You gave me a idea ill talk about how to keep wasps away but in a not destructive way[instead of destroying them]
Zina2008

Good idea! Put it on your To-Do list, along with any other things that occur to you, or that someone suggests. Then write them up when you can, and post them when they're just how you want them.
Myles

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to reveal your age as you have done in your introduction thread, but i suppose each to their own!
waspman

Thanks yes i will keep the things others say in mind i got another one to post.
WarcraftDiscussions

Myles wrote:
I'm not so sure it's a good idea to reveal your age as you have done in your introduction thread, but i suppose each to their own!
Age is rather irrelevant. Whether he says his age or not, he is still just as vulnerable as everyone else is over the internet.
waspman

Plus how do you all know im telling the truth about my age?[yes im actually 14]
Myles

WarcraftDiscussions wrote:
Myles wrote:
Age is rather irrelevant. Whether he says his age or not, he is still just as vulnerable as everyone else is over the internet.

Not true actually, generally young people can be more impressionable and nieve than older people who have more life experience. This isn't always the case obviously as there are mature adults who are easily lead people also. Like i said i am not sure it is a good idea, but do what you want!
Zina2008

There are lots of ways of giving away your age, without actually writing down the number. I would have guessed waspman was under 16 from the way he writes, apart from other clues.

That's one advantage - or disadvantage - of being quite a bit older!

waspman

Okay back to the subject how does it look so far?
Zina2008

Yes, you're getting there - shorter posts are more inviting to read than huge long ones, and your photos and links are doing the job.

Don't forget to read over your tutorials - if you read them aloud you've got more chance of spotting places where something isn't quite right, whether it's the spelling or the fact that you've run two words together. Even if you have a comma or a word in brackets, you still need a space between words to make them legible.

But you've got some interesting ideas in there, so keep working on it.

Just a thought - does your school have anyone, teachers or students, who would be interested in your subject? You could start spreading the word that you have a new site for them to look at. Once you've got a couple of others involved too, you'll be able to have discussions as well as your tutorials and diary, and your forum will become more interesting, and attract more readers.

You're doing fine so far.

waspman

Yep i also have another log so ill post it there asap!!
waspman

I posted more pics[i want to so i can see the proggress of this queen Wink ]
Zina2008

One other thing I meant to mention - not a big problem, just a bit of tidying-up really.

You have your link in your signature as:

http://thebigsting.myfineforum.org/index.php?sid=

You don't need the bit after /index.php - you can take the rest off to make it look neater. In fact you could shorten it even more, to:

http://thebigsting.myfineforum.org/

That would take visitors to your default page, which is usually the index. It doesn't really matter once people have your site bookmarked, but it's easier for them to type in the first time.
waspman

Okay fixed.
Zina2008

It works!

Your enthusiasm is good - that's what will bring people in, and encourage them to come back.
waspman

Cool, i gotta post more pics tonight as i wanna show off my new bombus cage,you have no clue what i'm talking about do you?
Zina2008

I've been to your site several times, and read quite a few of your posts.

As it happens, when I was five (which was a very long time ago) I borrowed a book about bees from the school library - it taught me about how they communicate with each other, with dances for example, and quite a bit about their life cycle.

But I have other interests now, so I expect you probably do know more about them now than I. Certainly you will know a lot more about the ones you live with.
waspman

Yeah mine arn't honeybees they are bumble bees[bombus] i don't know who to ask though ill have to think about that part.
Zina2008

Yes, you're right - the book was about honeybees. But I don't think they would make very good pets, or enjoy it! They're not solitary bees.
waspman

Either are bombus btw you can keep honey bees and make honey.
waspman

Need more ideas

Well im running out of ideas i need some more what do you guys think i should post?
Zina2008

We nearly did, at one time. My Dad knew somebody who kept bees and was going to show him the ropes.

But for one reason or another, it didn't happen. And I don't think I'm likely to start it up now.
waspman

That sucks bees are great i just fed my queen.
Zina2008

It wouldn't have been practical, where we lived at the time - too many neighbours who wouldn't have liked hives being so near.

And half a century on, I have other things that take up my time. Like running forums, for example.

But getting back to your forum - are your Canadian bees having the same problems with veroa mites as ours are over here? You could write about pests and diseases, and how to cure or avoid them, if they can be cured or avoided.

That would be useful to other enthusiasts - and you might attract some other bee-keepers with first-hand experience.
waspman

I know mold is a proplem and dumb stupid waxworms so ill post about how to avoid them.
waspman

Okay i posted them any other suggestions?
Zina2008

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. And do keep going into your forum and moving round it, because that attracts the search engines like Google and Yahoo. They'll follow you around, making a note of what you're reading and writing, so that next time somebody searches for "bombus queen" they'll know where to send them.

As you're going around, see if anything strikes you - could you have explained that more clearly? Have you started on a topic but not stayed because you've gone off on to another subject? Make notes of things like that, and write up the missing bits to be posted as soon as possible.

The more activity there is, the more people will be directed there by Google and pals.
waspman

Thanks i still don't have any ideas though  
Zina2008

Don't worry - you don't have to have all your best ideas at once!

Have you tried telling your friends at school about your site, or even your teachers? The biology teacher might be interested enough to take a look.
waspman

The proplem is is that its the weekend[long weekend]so i haven't been to school.
Zina2008

The weekend doesn't last long, though. Keep on going in and reading what you've got for now, adding or correcting anything that doesn't look quite finished, and then it will be all the better when you go back to school on Monday (or Tuesday).

You could also get yourself a spellchecker - if you use Firefox, get the dictionary add-on, and set it to check your spelling as you type. It saves a lot of time! And it will help keep your site looking as if it means business.

Your forum is looking good, and it has some content which will let your visitors see what it's all about. If you can get one or two friends in - also interested in your subject, ideally! - and they start to post too, that will automatically increase the number of search engines which come and explore your site.

Once the search engines have your address they will start to add you to their list of results, and new visitors will come.

Don't expect it all to happen overnight, because it won't. You've made a good start, now you have the much more difficult job of keeping it going. But as long as your own interest stays with you, you've got a strong basis to build on.
waspman

Yep ill try to get more members on it if this site fails i have a diffrent big sting site [see sig]
Zina2008

Why have two boards, with such similar content? You might have more success if you concentrate on one at a time.
Bravo

Advertising other forum providers is (understandably) strictly not allowed on these forums.

Change your signature waspman please.
bee

Hmm well you could start asking others to join and then post questions like what bee do you like the best? and others like polls and stuff.
waspman

Ill post them right away bee.
waspman

Okay done posting them anything else?
Bravo

waspman wrote:
Ill post them right away bee.

You and bee are the same person, please don't hold conversations with yourself, you are wasting your time and everybody elses
waspman

Sorry anyway anything else?
waspman

i have been getting ideas off of other bee/wasp sites and have been working on a F.A.Q~!
waspman

Im done the F.A.Q for bumble bee keeping and still looking around for some more ideas any ideas would help.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum