Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

New advertising removed for now.

There were a few complaints about the "double underline" advertising, though I did not find it much of an issue really.

However almost all advertising is a certain level of annoyance and hence has to justify its existence by paying to keep myff viable, and "knownow" has not been cutting it in that regard, in fact they just emailed me to suggest we'd get more revenue by changing to more annoying defaults on the behaviour of the system...

As far as I'm concerned that is not what I want to hear, and have decided to remove the ads all together.
Bravo

Ads do need to be visible, and indeed 'attractive' enough for people to want to find out more about whatever is being advertised.  So many people now have some form of 'adblock' system running these days that other means need to be sought.  The adblockers are then the first to complain at these new measures.  Money to pay for servers and all the associated running costs cannot be pulled out of one's backside, however it is clear that if the ads are bad enough to put people off using the product (ie the forums) then that is counter productive, as no users makes the ads totally redundant anyway.

Would a portal type system work better?  Every forum to have an ad portal, unless of course paying for ad free.  Of course I can only suggest without knowing the logistics of implementing such a system.  I don't think it would be too much of a hassle for people and it would give people interesting ads that they could then look at to find out more about whatever product or service is being advertised.
bluebedouin

Bravo wrote:
... So many people now have some form of 'adblock' system running...

I made a comment regarding this here.My post was removed without notification to myself.After researching the subject I understand why but,I always understood myff to be open in its conduct & would have expected some explanation.Is this not the case any more?
Zudane

I'm not sure which comment you are talking about or what exactly you mean to say is being done behind closed doors...

MYFF has been very upfront about nearly every change that has happened, of course it's not logical to be posting an update of every single change or getting 'approval' first though.  When money is being considered it is within the company to make the decision about what should happen, because honestly each person wants what is best for themselves - the want the free service but don't want to help support it via ads.

The 'double underline' advertising was an attempt to create more revenue, as the servers that have been installed recently do create a debt that must be repaid - or the entire service is gone, including all forums within (that means no exports either).

If you truly want to help the advertising, I would find it to be in everybody's best interest to encourage users to disable ad-blockers on the MYFF sites and feel free to click links, even if for no other reason than to find out more information.  A lot of work is put into tracking down any ads that cause problems, and they can be posted on the support forums here - so there is a rather small amount of risk in these ads compared to the many ads elsewhere that are direct links to malware sites.

On topic with Bravo - an ad portal may be a useful idea, possibly putting additional ads wherever the forum admin chooses - or even replacing the current ads with it.  That is to say that if the portal is used, then ads are not displayed on the pages that the portal is shown on.  Would need to do some safeguards to make sure the ad is not in a place that gets hidden, such as a hidden div or a table with a size of 0.  I'm pretty sure there are ways to do that though - know we don't want to mistrust the users, but I know that it will be happening at that point.  Then again could just alter the T&C to cover hiding the ads.
myff admin

My view is always one that prefers to keep things simple on the advertising front.

As for adblockers, they will be the end of the internet as a place where services can be free at the point of use.

No one should be surprised if posts promoting them get removed, I don't welcome people who want to wreck our business let alone them thing the support forum is somewhere where they can promote that kind of free loading.

I don't even want to have a debate on that aspect of things happening no one will learn anything new from it, and as I say advertising is the revenue model that keeps most of the internet viable.

So I would say to people try and use services that use advertising in a relatively benign way, and avoid those that don't.

So please folks discuss preferred ways of advertising, but not things that clearly lead to the destruction of the internet as we know and love it.
bluebedouin

Moderated: 1
post removed.  repeating the post that originally got deleted pretty much word for word.  If the first one was deletable, a repetition will also be deletable.  Your ideas of how a forum should be run are fine so long as they fall within T&C, the support forum does not necessarily run in accordance with how you believe it should be run
bluebedouin

Fairy Nuff.At least I got an explanation this time.
myff admin

My last word on this.

If a post is removed that is a message in of itself.

If you don't get an explanation, it is because the reason is obvious and I am not going to waste my time or insult anyone's intelligence by explaining what I am sure they should know already.
K

I actually prefer the normal bars, but I do see how that does nothing to solve the issue of adblock. I would possibly suggest using flash ads, though if i remember right, the newer adblocks basically allow you to pick and choose almost anything to be blocked on the fly.
myff admin

Another heads up on this, we are being promised a new script for the "double underline" advertising.

The promise is:

1) Better contextual mapping. e.g. more useful and interesting which is always a bonus.
2) Less prone to accidental popping up.
3) More revenue.

Plainly when they come up with the script we will have to have another go.
K

hey Admin, for the past 2 days some of my people using a browser with a form of adblock get this page:

Spoiler:

I think that is a brilliant idea! You just might want to make the bit about that fact that it is most likely adblocking causing that page to appear a bit more obvious, cause apparently some of my members arent as smart as I thought they were lol and they came to me saying they didn't know what to do, when it says it right there.

I just hope it doesnt affect visitor rates. You know how some people can be about turning off safety features  
Bravo

K wrote:
hey Admin, for the past 2 days some of my people using a browser with a form of adblock get this page:

Spoiler:

I think that is a brilliant idea! You just might want to make the bit about that fact that it is most likely adblocking causing that page to appear a bit more obvious, cause apparently some of my members arent as smart as I thought they were lol and they came to me saying they didn't know what to do, when it says it right there.

I just hope it doesnt affect visitor rates. You know how some people can be about turning off safety features  

This has been discussed further in this thread

Yes it does say it clear enough, not sure how you could make it any clearer to be truthful.
K

Oh, sorry, i only skimmed through the pages.

But yeah, I'm not quite sure how to make it more obvious either, so I added a note to our chat channel. Sometimes I wonder... no matter how obvious or "in your face" you make something to your members, some of them still miss it.
Ask Mr. Religion

Might also consider asking admins at forums to post at least one announcement from time to time about how their forums are supported and asking members to donate to the cause.

Taking my own suggestion to heart:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/sutra12081.php#12081

Some other suggestions:

1. Fee-based feature improvements. Say I want something implemented that is gnarly. I would be willing to pay for the effort to overcome the hesitation to do the work. Or, if the work is just a low priority, I would be willing to pay to have that priority bumped up to get implemented sooner.

2. Bid-based feature improvements. You offer up some features you could implement and take bids from site admins on each. The winning bid gets implemented first, second-order bid implemented second, etc.

3. Custom site development services for existing forums for those site owners who don't or cannot do their own site layout and development.

AMR
Zudane

Could be done, but many things here are based around the idea that everybody gets treated equally when it comes to improvements.  Having more money doesn't make things get done quicker.

The idea of upgrading a site, such as the style and logos, may be an option for pay - but may be difficult to add in.  The Admin would need money to go to the service, while the people doing the work would want some of the money for themselves.

And as for asking members to click the links... it's important to note that the ads are there to appeal to people that want them, it is actually against rules for many advertisers to encourage users to click the links simply for income.  With Google, asking users to click x links per day or giving incentive for clicking links can get you removed from their advertising.
myff admin

I can only echo Zudane really.

I have never liked the way some other forums systems run a two tier service, want good features?, support?, your forum on a fast server? Then cross our palms with silver.....

It is simply not going to happen that way here. I like the honest simplicity of adverts or advert free and a donation box that people are not pressured to use. I can say hand on heart that whether people make a donation (and they are appreciated) or not makes no difference to the support they get or to whether features are implemented.
Zudane

It is good to note though, that if you are willing to pay for a service that is done here for free - we would all be very grateful for a donation of whatever you find fair.  The advertisements are the main source of income, and MYFF does offer a lot of things that you would need to pay for elsewhere (or wait weeks to get done).  Really - where else could you find a support forum that you can get a response within an hour on average?

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum