Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
myff admin

myfreefriends.org - Logo needed

Another t-shirt competition I think.

I have just made merging accounts work, but already the need for a decent look to the site is looking essential.

A web2.0 site will simply need a lot of template work.
Danny M

ill take part
myff admin

We will also want some icons.

Take a look at:

http://squatorange.myff.org/

That is the basic look I am going for, but instead of t-shirts, we will want graphics for :

1) My Chat
2) My Forums
3) My Friends
4) My Profile
5) My Arcade
6) Some thing else I have not figured out yet.
Bravo

Sizes?
Colour schemes?
myff admin

The icon images on the squatorange site are 64x64.

Color I think we want to be more garish than layed back.

With the icons the surrounding box that changes color is not needed, though a graphic for the box in select/unselected state does need doing. Of course this does not even need to be the current shape.
myff admin

maybe this makes it clearer?

Obviously own logo, color scheme and icons are needed. But this is the core idea of things.
Bravo

Not sure what you mean by 'garish' colours...I think you mean sort of unco-ordinated colouring?

Before I get into too much detail, nudge me one way or the other on this:

ie is it heading in the right direction? Colours right? What needs doing to it? Starting again (no big deal)?
Bravo

More garish, I shudder at these colours

myff admin

I'm probably not explaining myself very well, colours/design are not my field.

Maybe words like bold/exciting/striking are better?

Then again that is just what I think would be good.

What I want is something that reflects the fact that this is not a forum or content site, it is a site with fundermentally just a few screens people will interact with, hence we should have the sort of graphical simple menu structure you can see in the screenshot.

One other thought Whilst the layout will in some sense be fixed, it may be possible to theme it, e.g. to let people select there preferred theme and that would entail the colours changing and also the icons/surrounds changing.

All the menu graphics are created on the fly from two surround graphics, generated text and an icon image which is thumbnailed to the right size.

It is easy to imagine the user getting to select this.
Bravo

Any better?

myff admin

I find it really hard to judge, but I do realize (and I should have said ) that there is a flaw.

The surround and the icon are separate items, with the surround being a graphic with a transparent centre into which the icon is drawn.

I guess therefore we are asking more for just the 64x64 icons for each of the options. The icons will I would have thought tend to be subsumed into the general color scheme, so long as they are not to way out, their colours won't matter too much.
myff admin

One other small point, the actual logo is 722x89 at the moment. We need a logo of pretty similar dimensions e.g. less than 800 and a height that is lower than typical as we are using a lot of space up with the menu height.
myff admin

Any effort at a replacement logo would be really good to help get the flavour going.

To give a bit more of what this is about, you can see the "windowed" interface in the screenshot.
Bravo

Been working on a logo a bit this morning, not done anything I am happy with yet.

Is there any kind of feeling you wish it to convey?
Bravo

I have tried so far a sort of sun background that didn't really work.

So I made some random ribbon type thing, not so sure about that but I'll show you anyway then at least you can have a look at the colour and font I am using to say whether you like it or not.

myff admin

Much nicer than squatorange. But I think bolder more teenage if that is not patronizing.

myff admin

playing with different layouts and I think this works:

Bravo

I have to nip out for a couple of hours, will have a fiddle about when I get back.

So, just to check:

1. Font: You are happy with the font I have used? If not, is there one you like? Have a look at dafont.com for a good selection.
2. Colour: Same question for the colours, let me know the hex number of any colouring you would like.
3. The ribbon thingy: I was stuck as to what kind of shape to come up with, but with the 'i' being quite central I thought something coming from that works. What are your thoughts on that? Shapes are better as that can be in vectored format so if you wanted it on t-shirts in the future then it wont be a problem.
myff admin

Don't want to be awkward

But

1. I am not sure the name as the main part of the logo really appeals.
2. I have no colour sense, so am not going to preempt on colors.

I want something logo wise that "says" "social networking" if that make sense.

http://www.myfunforum.org/
comes to mind!
Bravo

Another go:

myff admin

The current layout demands a short logo height wise.
Bravo

It's a vector so it can be 4 metres tall or 4 millimetres tall and have the same quality.

ie it can be resized to whatever size is required. I just posted it up to see if you liked the concept or not.
myff admin

But wouldn't it look awfully small if shrunk enough height wise?

Actually it might be an idea to hold off a little, as the windowing interface is getting rapidly developed and that might have other implications for the style.

So thanks for efforts so far, but I don't want to make work for the sake of it.
myff admin

To crystallize the point, there are two flaws with the current interface.

1) Each "icon" opens several windows.
2) rolled up windows have no where to go.

It would seem to make a lot more sense to increase the number of "icons", so that it is one to each window, and make rolling up the window close it to the icon. This means quite a lot of rework and the icons may well need to be 48x48 or even less.
myff admin

any thoughts?
Bravo

I'm not sure what you are asking for

I dont know what a rolled up window is.

Do you want new icons made for home, chat etc but at size 48 x 48? Using that purple and grey colour scheme?
myff admin

A rolled up window is one where only the title bar shows, click it on the box and it unrolls. It is a nice effect but out of place.

As for icons, I think 48x48 is the right size. Any smaller and we really lose the point of the interface. So yes please to any better icons.
Nick(NR)

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
A rolled up window is one where only the title bar shows, click it on the box and it unrolls. It is a nice effect but out of place.

Basically this: http://asraifans.myfastforum.org/index.php?component=indexpage

click the "Pics/Wallpapers" link, then click it again, it opens and hides, also kinda like my welcome and multiple search boxes just above the index on portalogy
myff admin

Does not seem to work in Firefox

Must admit I a worried the other way, my stuff is working in Firefox, have not tried ie yet.
Bravo

Was thinking along the lines of making all the icons the same, I think it ties in better that way. When I say the same, I mean a different image for each one, just the same colour schemes and all that jazz (same effects added to each but differing images).

You'll either like it, or not

Home:

On mouseover:

I didn't add text as at that size it doesn't look very good at all...
Bravo

Just for comparison purposes I quickly knocked up a chat one, so you can see what I mean about being the same theme:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4343/mffchat1cz6.png

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6720/mffchat2hh8.png

img button still doesnt work, hosted these on imageshack instead of photobucket as I seem to have used my space up already. Pbucket automatically puts in the 'img' for you, imageshack doesnt
myff admin

We still seem to have a miscommunication on the icons, look at:

http://squatorange.myff.org/

There is a surround which changes color and then an icon in the middle. The icons you are doing have the surround built in, where what is needed is just the icon bit.
Bravo

myff admin

I am getting a good response on the purple in general and people like that logo

One comment that the light text is too light, and some uncertainty over the reflection bit, but universal approval on the graphic
Bravo

myff admin

Nicer, but what about a better version of this?

The more I think about it, the smaller I want the logo to be. The more screen real estate that is usable the better.
Bravo

myff admin

First un-preempted comment from the target teenage audience was that my littler effort is better, I have to say I also prefer the smaller version.

Any other views?
Bravo

was that might littler effort is better

does 'might' mean 'my' ?

If so, no probs, I'll have another look.

What size does it need to end up at? Are we keeping the logo at the same size, just scaling the text down?
myff admin

Yes I meant "my"

Size wise, I think we are seeing the the menu icons are quite good at a height of 100, and therefore it is going to make an awful lot of sense for the logo to have a height of 100 (or a little less) as well.

With the width, there is no real rule aside from the smaller one seems to be going down better, and has perhaps more flexible potential.
Bravo

Adjusted to a height of 100.

This is a total vectored image so is fully scalable to any size and thus is suitable for any and all printing jobs

myff admin

I have scaled it to 86 height as at 100 it does seem too large.

The target audience is watching the x-factor and so cannot be consulted

I do still wonder if making the text lines start follow the curve of the logo might be more compact and attractive? e.g. slide the ".org" to the left and reduce the "friends" in size a little.

I must sound very fussy here
Bravo

86 height:

myff admin

The teen vote still prefers the weight of text in my version, myfree and .org are very light in the latest, too light really.
Bravo

So the font sizes to be equal? But otherwise as is? Or a darker colour on the myfree and .org?

Same colour as Friend or still lighter?
myff admin

More equal rather than the same size.

Darker without being as dark.
Bravo

myff admin

Many thanks, I think that has to be about it. When the teenager emerges I will ask
Bravo

Many thanks, I think that has to be about it. When the teenager emerges I will ask

Ah...should get the verdict by about 3pm then (crack of dawn to a teenager )
myff admin

We are actually heading out for a picnic in a bit, so I prodded with sharp stick and she's still stropping. I think I'll ask later
myff admin

New screenshot with the advert shown. Lets face it a service has to have some form of income. I think this is quite nicely done.
Bravo

Its just a personal opinion but I think it would look a little better if the logo was dropped in and down a little to match the ad centrally if you know what I mean, though it does look smart as is.
myff admin

Since posting the screenshot I have actually tweaked that sort of thing a few pixels.
Bravo

Style:

Yes
No
Almost
Nowhere near etc
myff admin

Bravo wrote:

Style:

Yes
No
Almost
Nowhere near etc

Ironically a "Home" icon may not be needed, but I do like the style thanks.
Bravo

Hmm I was hoping the same overlay style would work as a 'tying in' to the overall theme, I am not sure whether it works or not.

The MyFriends icon doesn't look right imo, maybe if I made a heart for it, it would look better, not sure...

Bravo

No I don't think that theme will work...

If the colour scheme ties in to each other, being different enough but something the same throughout it looks so much better. A group of different coloured images looks random and cluttered (imo)
myff admin

What do others think?

My view on the main menu icons has been that having them colour themed is going to make it all too purple

So keep the logo, the borders and the small icons themed, but the main icons full color.

But I am no great expert on this, so I am really concerned about making work for Bravo if we chop and change views too much on what is best
Bravo

Just an idea for a style:

Latent:

Mouseover:

or:

myff admin

they are undeniably very good. I will have to play with the tech to use them, but that is not much of a big deal to do.

I just wish someone else would comment as to whether this is really on track? or are we to monochromic?
Bravo

I just wish someone else would comment as to whether this is really on track? or are we to monochromic?

Me too, just to point out that any opinion is welcome from anybody at all. You don't have to be anybody special to have an opinion

And if you don't like it, say so, my feelings dont get hurt.

Any suggestions as to what you like (or examples of icons you like on the web) are also very useful.
Bravo

MyFriends

Mouseover/active/whatever

Bravo

Oops, forgot to take temp background off:

One:

Two:

Bravo

Actually, I like this version (sort of glass encased type look):

One:

Two:

Could be a different base colour for each icon?
myff admin

So do I

I guess we will need a good chunk of the set though to start seeing if the scheme is going to work
Bravo

Yes I think the differing colours help with navigation. It also ties in with the different coloured circles on the MFF logo etc.

Bravo

Next:

Bravo

My Self:

Bravo

I carried on the telephone theme you chose for add friend, if you wanted something else to represent that let me know:

Bravo

If you want something different to represent the forum system let me know. I was gonne try fit it the MFF going downwards but at this size it just doesn't work, so I stuck to the M:

myff admin

Bravo wrote:
I carried on the telephone theme you chose for add friend, if you wanted something else to represent that let me know:

The telephone was simply what I had to hand. e.g. portal icons. None of my icons represent what I really want.
Bravo

myff admin

Very nice. I think i prefer the first.

BTW) steaming tension headache here caused by paperwork, at least it is done so may be in a darkened room for some hours

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum