Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
Bravo

MyFreeForum Video Tutorials

Do you think it would be a good idea to make a collection of video tutorials to help people get set up on MFF?

Been doing a bit of experimenting, gonna make a few to help with the stuff I am able to help on....here is the absolute basic one, gonna use this vidtut forum to develop and show people how at the same time.

I know my voice aint great, so if anyone wants to dub over feel free.

Any comments/suggestions/feedback etc are welcome as always.

Next up gonna show how to change the logo

Link
myff admin

That is absolutely brilliant.

My only questions are around where to place it?

I think if you chopped out the forum creation bit, and added the logo change, then it would be a fantastic addition to the welcome message on the created forum, an instant tutorial of the core essentials from the point they had already got to.

I really like the creation bit as well, but i'm struggling a bit to think of a home for it. Ideally it would be on:

http://www.myfreeforum.org/

and we would change that page to accommodate things. But I am not too sure on how to manage the placement as this page does seem to work quite well already.
symon

That is great , i mused over this for sometime in the beginning, but didnt go with the idea, for a few reasons,

1. time

2. local accent

3. language (easy to translate a text page than a video).

Plus i felt that if i did this to all guides it would make it harder rather than easier, as they can print page etc.

For the basic set up and as admin say logo change i think you got a result.   Wink
myff admin

I'd agree with Symon that the scope for this whilst fantastic for the basics does have certain limits.

I think:

1) Forum creation.

2) Adding forums.

3) Setting permissions.

4) Changing style and logo.

are probably about as far as it should go, but once again I'd say it is great in that range.
Bravo

Yes I don't think video tutorials of this nature can replace the written word for a majority of areas, just for a select few areas such as you've highlighted.

As to where to put them, I was just gonna shove them on the vidtut forum as I use it to build up the repertoire (also gonna add such as Photoshop tutorials and whatever else I can think of).

Didn't think of you maybe wanting to have somewhere for them on the site, but if you want them, I can let you have better copies than the YouTube versions...

Anyway, did a logo version:

Link
symon

When you have it up and running , i will put a link to it, on the original logo guide on HOWTODOIT if you want.
Bravo

Sure thing mate

If anyone else wants to knock one up by all means do so, I'll put it on for you (gonna set it up so people have to submit rather than just post it to keep it less cluttered, will have to set the permissions etc for that, but can do that in a tutorial too).
myff admin

The logo one is great as well, I guess it does need the complementary one showing other ways of changing the logo.

But going back yes I do want them on the site prominently.

The welcome message would be a great spot the the set.
Bravo

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

Adobe's video workshop is a fantastic little example of something like this.

I zipped up the two I have done so far to send you last night but they came out at 72mb  
Will see if I can get that lowered a bit for you (unless you have some software capable of this?).  The best compressor I have found in the past was Bink but I am not sure if people would need to download the codec to view them?
myff admin

72mb is a bit steep, I don't download much video but I guess 5mb a tutorial would be about the sensible size?
myff admin

Bravo wrote:
but I am not sure if people would need to download the codec to view them?

Even if it means losing quality, we must keep accessibility.

The examples posted are not great on quality, but even they are just about acceptable.
Bravo

Is the flv format a format you can use?  It seems that everyone has a flash player these days due to the success of sites such as YouTube.

On the flv format, at a size of 800x600 @ 150kbs we're looking at 2-4mb (about 1mb per minute) per tutorial and still maintaining good quality (much better than the YouTube quality).
myff admin

Well I can play what you posted, so I assume that means I can play .flv (told you I know little about video   )

2mb-4mb sounds good to me, but does it sound good to other people? 1mb a minute is surely about 1.5mbs e.g. it needs a reasonable broadband connection to stream without delay.
Bravo

Did you get chance to try a test page out displaying the flv?

If you can display it that way, fine, then I will make the rest of the tuts...if not, then I will redo the tuts a different way (where the camera follows the mouse thereby giving better resolution).

Let me know which way is best mate
myff admin

The flv show fine on Linux
Bravo

Link

Changing templates
myff admin

I'm afraid I have a little problem with this one, the "disable forum pruning or your posts will be deleted" is kind of scary and essentially wrong, as unless forum pruning is set on a forum, there is no issue with forum pruning being enabled.
symon

Also taking the mickey here but when you say browse the list etc many do not have screen shots so may be a mention to the full list and screen shots on HOWTODOIT ,, or maybe Admin might think a link at the bottom of that page might be useful?
myff admin

Well I really should get the screenshots up to date  
Bravo

No probs, video removed
Bravo

Symon wrote:
Also taking the mickey here but when you say browse the list etc many do not have screen shots so may be a mention to the full list and screen shots on HOWTODOIT ,, or maybe Admin might think a link at the bottom of that page might be useful?

Do you have a link to the specific page in question?  I can add it to the 'useful links' that I am putting with each of these tutorials.

Wanted to redo this one anyway as I buggered up about 5 seconds from the end, but I thought 'got all this way without buggering up, so keeping it' but an excuse to redo now
symon

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/...hp?component=forum&forumid=29

Wink
Bravo

Cheers Symon

admin (no pm's please) wrote:

Do you want all the vids in the flv format then?  I'm assuming you would like them all when done, rather than piecemeal, but I don't know if you need them to do whatever it is you do to display them on a webpage.
symon

Will you be doing this for PHPbb3 aswell ?
Bravo

Symon wrote:
Will you be doing this for PHPbb3 aswell ?

I must confess I haven't even looked at phpbb3 yet...I tend to leave Betas well alone and leave them to more qualified people to assess them.

Maybe you could record some phpbb3 ones?
myff admin

Bravo wrote:
Cheers Symon

Do you want all the vids in the flv format then?  I'm assuming you would like them all when done, rather than piecemeal, but I don't know if you need them to do whatever it is you do to display them on a webpage.

All at once would be best, and I guess I will probably be searching howtodoit on how to post them!

I think I will put them all into a second post in a new forum called video tutorials.
Bravo

Revised template tutorial.

Link
Bravo

Symon wrote:

Wink

This (useful links at bottom) is how I linked it, is that ok?
myff admin

Nice stuff
symon

Bravo wrote:
Symon wrote:

Wink

This (useful links at bottom) is how I linked it, is that ok?

Link is dead on your site,, this is because on here the link gets shorten

Code:
http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/index.php?component=forum&forumid=29

Is the correct link
Bravo

Oops, don't know how I managed that    ...fixed it anyway
Bravo

Setting Up Forum Permissions:

Link
myff admin

Very nice.

I like the way you present the subject, it makes it all very matter of fact, I can see it reassuring people who might be nervous in this area

Are we close to the set now?
Bravo

All I can think of is usergroups...the rest needs to be HowToDoIt imo, as a lot of the stuff Symon has done needs to be copied and pasted.

Waiting for my son for the usergroup one, as I want him to apply to join as soon as I set it up...but the timing of that might be a little too adventurous, but clicking to accept someone who has applied doesn't really need a tutorial (lol thinking as I type again).
Bravo

Usergroups:

Link

Full set of videos are here.  Each one has links to the others (and to the MFF homepage along with links to HowToDoIt also).

I think thats as many as we can do that aren't better covered on HTDI, unless anyone can think of another one?
symon

I think you missed a few points on this one.

You didn't cover the difference between a closed , open or hidden group,

Also i think it would be worth showing or mentioning that you can have 2 or more usergroups and show one as say mods like you have and the other for just access to a certain area, like steam train buffs ?

Also you could mention about mass email for usergroups ?

Or am i being picky ?
Bravo

I purposefully haven't gone into too much detail on all the tutorials...the aim is to get people up and running, rather than as a comprehensive detailed guide on every aspect...I think short, focussed tutorials are of more use here (at least for the purposes they are designed for - ie half promotional, half educational).

After all, this type of video will mainly appeal to the visually oriented section of society, and visual personality types are notorious for wanting things in a nutshell.

With the HTDI links given with each video, people can look up such as the difference between the group types and all the other aspects you point out.

You make a good point though, so if it's generally felt that more should be included, I have no objection to making a new one.

This particular one was the third attempt btw, I kept buggering up saying 'group' and typing 'global' ending up saying 'gloup'  Even on this one I did it again but not as bad as the other ones
myff admin

I think I favour lack of detail, it is a tricky balance though.
myff admin

Are you actually complete on the set now?
Nick(NR)

Are you actually complete on the set now?

Also might be worth adding, for those that don't notice which system (phpbb 3/2), because there will always be one, that and if you do some for phpbb3 then you've already made the gap for people to dive into the one their using.
Bravo

I havent even looked at phpbb3 yet...

As far as that being the set...I think so, but am more than happy to do more if anyone has a suggestion?

I thought about maybe doing one to add portals while using HowToDoIt to get the code, does anyone think that is a good idea?
myff admin

Would it be too much to ask for them to be emailed as a set?
Bravo

Would it be too much to ask for them to be emailed as a set?

No probs, will have to be the weekend though.

I need to run them through a converter which will take quite some time y'see
Bravo

By the way, I did start on some artwork for a MFF media player skin....did it more as something arty to do than as anything useful.

Still a lot of work to do on it and might never get it finished, or I'll probably change, well, everything but

symon

Sod off you flash git  Wink

Jeez i cant even draw a straight line.
myff admin

Very swish, not that I would know how to use it  
Nick(NR)

Symon wrote:
Sod off you flash git  Wink

Jeez i cant even draw a straight line.

Ah but the trick is can bravo do flash videos without the use of third party software that slaps it together with images for him?
Bravo

Nick(NR) wrote:
Ah but the trick is can bravo do flash videos without the use of third party software that slaps it together with images for him?

No, I don't use Flash that much.

Don't need to either.

If 3rd party software does the job, do I need to learn anything else?
symon

Bravo

A thought and something that crops up often...

How about a guide on how to add ranks,,,,

So you show a page of the ranks on HOWTODOIT

then show them what part of the code to add and where,,, etc etc ?
Bravo

Symon wrote:
Bravo

A thought and something that crops up often...

How about a guide on how to add ranks,,,,

So you show a page of the ranks on HOWTODOIT

then show them what part of the code to add and where,,, etc etc ?

Good idea, will do that one
Bravo

Adding ranks and custom rank images

Link
symon

Still think  one done the way 98% of people add their ranks would be a good idea..

Most get their ranks from our list and go from there.
myff admin

I'd agree with Symon, I also wonder a little on organization?

Currently:

1) Getting started.
2) Changing your logo.
3) Change template/style.
4) Setting up forum permissions.
5) Setting up usergroups.

Are all in a tutorials post. I am actually wondering where to drop 5, and link to a full list of tutorial links.

I think 4 tutorials is getting near the limit of what we want to expose people to at first.

maybe replacing (5) with a simple ranks tutorial would be about right?

Other tutorials could go into a sticky in phpbb3 general support, links on howtodoit etc.
Bravo

Maybe slot in the tutorials within the FAQ?

ie the 'custom rank' one can go into the 'Can I put custom ranks on?'

etc etc
Bravo

Adding System Ranks

Link
Bravo

Also, to help the videos go higher in the YouTube system, remember to rate the videos (high ratings better obviously), this will help promote MyFreeForum which is a good thing for everybody, as there will be more people browsing the forums (thus joining yours), so please go on and rate the videos, cheers.
myff admin

I will add that one tomorrow, BTW envelope written....
Bravo

Stumbled across Veoh, which is similar to YouTube but accepts much better quality videos.

I think YouTube is more well known, but I am uploading all the videos to Veoh also.  I have already uploaded the first, which is displaying at a slightly better quality, though I had reduced that already when I added the subtitles down to 15mb.

The second one I am uploading is 70mb, when its finished I'll display it here so we can see the quality, though I do think the YouTube ones are probably better to use as we have, as people with slower connections will be able to see them without stuttering.

For comparison purposes, the first video:

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11201553bTmYrb5H

Embedded (to display properly the default embed text has a '/' in the wrong spot and needs to be changed - also html needs to be allowed):

Online Videos by Veoh.com
Bravo

Ok, the 70mb video is now uploaded (the changing logo one) and the quality is significantly better, the good thing about Veoh is it allows people to download videos to watch later, which is especially good if they have slower connections and thus unable to watch a streaming video.

For comparison purposes:

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11203031jZHeSX2N

Embedded player:

Bravo

Usergroups:

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11205984M37gntMT
Embedded:

Bravo

Permissions

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11209821nNZfqFeQ

Embedded:

myff admin

What is the difference here?
Bravo

Don't you see the difference in quality?

On the YouTube versions, most of the text can't be seen fully, where it is clearly readable in the Veoh versions (at least the ones that I hadn't already compressed).

I don't think you should change the videos that are shown on a new forum, I merely show them here in case anyone wants to use them or see them more clearly, or even download them.
Bravo

Template changing

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v112174379nxBSMP9

Embedded:

myff admin

Bravo wrote:

Don't you see the difference in quality?

On the YouTube versions, most of the text can't be seen fully, where it is clearly readable in the Veoh versions (at least the ones that I hadn't already compressed).

I don't think you should change the videos that are shown on a new forum, I merely show them here in case anyone wants to use them or see them more clearly, or even download them.

I did think they were bigger and clearer
Bravo

Custom Ranks

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v11221788GpSAqcdP

Embedded:

System Ranks

Link: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v112264133bhHcac9

Embedded:

scottish-jim

Nice one. Watching in full screen is nice and clear

Bravo

Cheers Jim, love the smiley  

Made a MFF channel, so all the videos can be displayed in one easy to use thingamibob  

Hows about that then?
scottish-jim

thingamibob eh! - There you go again showing off your technical prowess

All looks very slick  

myff admin

Clever Bravo

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Forum Blogs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum