Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

myfreeforum closure

It is with deep regret that I have to announce that I will be closing the forums system at the end of June.

The facts are stark, the rise of social media has meant that myff has long ceased to be a viable business.

We are now facing rising costs, aging infrastructure and the need to make everything work of https to avoid another decline in  what is already a dead duck anyway.

I love forums and the advantages they offer over facebook, and I hate to let down the thousands of people who still feel the same way.

But in the end the facts can't be denied and we either exercise a graceful shutdown with advance warning (and I will make forum exports available for a token donation or free to those who have paid for advert free) or we will soon find that things break and can't practically be fixed.

I can only offer my sincerest apology for the pain I know this will cause, It has been a pleasure to have helped create so many little communities over a stretch of more than ten years.
cassini

That's a shame as I have bought some credits on another forum provider to have https, can you do the same   It only cost me 4.70 for a year, speaking for myself how can I not lose my back up forum  

However I do see your point that FB and even Twitter have made forums less appealing however I do like forums.

Regards
Cassini
myff admin

It's a matter of financial viability. Revenues would need to double to make it make any sense at all to carry on, and that is not going to happen unfortunately.
verithingeoff

So sorry to hear about the closure of the bulletin boards, not sure where to go from here. Could you post some advice? When are you shutting down?

Geoff
myff admin

The end of June to try and give people time.

I can't really give recommendations, heck one of the reasons myff was set up in the first place was that the other systems around were so bad.

Hopefully some people will have good ideas.
verithingeoff

Thank you
davecov

I am really sorry to hear that MYFF is ceasing operations but understand why.

I set up a modelling forum called The Airfix Tribute Forum in April 2016 and we were due to celebrate our 11th anniversary in a month's time.

We have paid for Advert Free service expiring in December so we will be asking for a free export of the forum when we find a new home.

I wish you and your team the best of luck in whatever you do after MYFF.

Dave
Georgypan

So sorry to hear about this.  I have made good friends through the medium of MYFF and have met several of them in person despite the distances involved and I am very grateful to you for making this possible.  I'll keep an eye here in the hope that I can get some advice on where to take my forum and how to go about it.  I'll be grateful for your offer of an export once things are clearer.  FB and Twitter don't come anywhere close to replacing the benefits of a forum.
perthtruebluetwo

Im gutted as were 10 years old in may but i can understand your decision as social media has killed forums, i would like to thank admin and all tbe mods for all the hard work and effort over the past 10 years, we also would like an export and can anyone offer any other free forum platformd that would accept my forum .
perthtruebluetwo

I havent a clue where to start.
myff admin

I'm gutted about it as well, not least because I think the pendulum may have drifted back a notch in the favor of forums as people get fed up of the facile nature of FB and twitter and their limitations.
But it's not enough in the scheme of things to make it viable to keep the system going along with the 24/7 responsibility that entails.

BTW if you are entitled or donate for an export, please remember to say when you want it to happen.
myff admin

Googling free forums still shows a lot of results for people to make inquiries of.
I guess its a matter of scale as much as anything, if we were 10x the size and more aggressive with advertising it might be a different story. But myff was a little too late in starting for that.
davecov

I have just informed my forum members of the sad news and am currently scrabbling around looking for new hosts.

I am not likely to require an export file until the last week of May. That gives me time now to find a new host, get the Admins and Mods used to the new system (if it differs from the old one) and then get the export imported into the new forum well before the cut-off date so that we have time to iron out any wrinkles.

Dave
rola

Im very sad to hear from this, but understand the reasons. Im not a computer expert but googleing around I found this:
https://www.proboards.com/free-forum-features
Dont know if it will be a suitable solution. Choosing the business features 600$ are needed per year,
Should it be a problem to convince 100 members for a 10$ donation per year or 200 members donating only 5$, or each subscriber donates only 1$ per year and a proud amount lefts over?
Im not convinced that FB is a better solution for a  smart forum like this one.
But its my personal viewpoint. For example: new Hofner FB site is not nearly the same quality as old Hofner vintage websites were. But it is clear, that the owners made a hard decision: We have to sell new guitars to survive on the market instead of serving those old vintage stuff - sad but true. Im hoping that Framus does not the same with the Framus Vintage Websites which are exemplary in this way. But -forgetting how a worldwide reputation of a guitar brand once has been established might also include a risc for the future.
mamodforums

With over 1.3 million posts on our forum and over 10 years with MYFF, this really saddens and worries me. I am admin of modelsteam.myfreeforum.org and would like to know the best way to proceed to save what we have been working on the for last 10 years and ensure it is not lost and can carry on. Any advice would be much appreciated
Gerry ukaf

Very sorry to hear this is happening, but obviously, you can't keep 'flogging a dead horse' past it's viability point (had that with a club several years ago) all the best to the people that have served with the team on here and may the future hold great things for you, you have been THE BEST!
Just got to decide now as to what to do with the 1,000+ members of my forum, whether to call it a day or try and find another corner of the internet for us to 'inhabit' - anyone any ideas?
Yankale

Thank you, 10q, 10X, an idea and questions

shvilisrael.myfastforum   +  israeltrail.myfastforum

Dear God  😊,

I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your great forum system. I use it on a daily basis since 2009.
I have thousands of very happy forum members from all over the world.

There is absolutley no comparison between your system and any other sytem out there FB, Twitter and any other.

I hate the idea of losing your system       .  

You've mentioned that you need to double the income in order to keep the system running.
I'd be more than happy to pay in order to keep the system runnnig.

Would you consider asking all the admins for a yearly payment in order to keep the system alive?
If so why don't you send all the admins (you have a few of them here  ) a price and see what happens?

If the above idea is not an option  how do I transfer 100% of the posts on my forum to a new system/service.
Naturally I need to keep the current structure with sub forums and any other functionality.
Which new system do you recommend in order to keep all the functionality and structure of your system?

PS

I'm not software expert of even close to being a software amateur
myff admin

Well all active admins should be visiting this thread.
It's a matter of a multiplier really. What would people pay a month and how many would pay it?
In very crude figures another 1000 is probably a bare minimum a month more needed to deal with both rising costs and the continued issues of FB and https etc.
I really can't see it happening.
Crosland33

I am also disappointed to hear that the forums system will close at the end of June but understand the reason it has to.

My web site host has the facility to install phpBB 2 or 3. Which version does myfreeforum use? Should I wait until my forum is exported or does phpBB 2 or 3 need to be in place first? Is the forum exported as a file or does it need a web site url to export into? How much would  the "token donation" for an export be and what details need to be submitted when requesting a forum export?
myff admin

Exports are emailed as an sql file link and a link to templates and avatars.

They are the sql for phpbb2 or phpbb3 depending on your system.

We have done quite a few exports in the past and people have always thus far been successful with them being imported. As none of the changes we have made to the database format are changes that would break an import.

I'm not going to pretend this is trivial though, it needs a techy to import a forum.

I'll leave token up to peoples attitude on this, after all I'm the one shutting things down on people The main reason for asking at all as it will keep that workload down to people who at least have some intent of carrying on.
tom_tom_go

Can you send me a PM for the price of an export of the following forum please:

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org
Gerry ukaf

As a thought, how would you like the 'contribution' for the transfer file to be sent to yourselves?
Yankale

myff admin wrote:
Well all active admins should be visiting this thread.
It's a matter of a multiplier really. What would people pay a month and how many would pay it?
In very crude figures another 1000 is probably a bare minimum a month more needed to deal with both rising costs and the continued issues of FB and https etc.
I really can't see it happening.

The info. is encourging   .

I can't send you a private message.

Can you please send me a private message with your contact details?

10X
myff admin

It should be possible to PM via the links at the top of the forum.

Donations can be made via the site shop:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/viewportal.php?component=shop
Dave Sausages

Totally gutted about this. For us this system has been ultra reliable, hence not needing to hassle you guys too much. Our forum is not the biggest on the planet, but it is our corner and we like it. I will be checking out other options, but will also consider what others here recommend.
brucea

Pretty gutted about this

We'll need an export of our forum too http://phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org

Can anyone recommend a similar forum provider that we can move to and will accept an archive? Not a techie, but I've learned enough to run this one in its current form.
Phil b

Firstly a huge thank you for all your work over the years. I am a total technophobe but found setting up and running our forum so easy, surely testament to the work you have all put in for the benefit of all of us.
As others we are not the biggest group but treat "our forum" as our little haven away from the scourge of FB and Twitter.

May I wish you all the very best in whatever life holds and once again a very big thank you.
Yankale

Com'om good people lets keep the system alive!!! We need to support it!

GPB 15,000 / year divided among ### admins is a nothing compared to
the cost of moving and installing the database onto another server.

Anyone disgrees?

teetee

So sorry to hear this as you've been superb in every way but I understand the clear issues you're having ,I would like to thank you from everyone on the forum for all your support and hard work it's been greatly appreciated

Have begun looking elsewhere but one platform is saying we need to upgrade to phb3 to import the forum is this doable or to much hassle ?
Tetsumonchi

Hi admin,

Very sad to hear of the closure, MyFreeForum has been a terrific and very reliable free host for my own community for 5 years.

On the subject of exports, I hope it will be still be possible for communities who haven't purchased the ad-free option to receive an export of their database at the regular price? As I mentioned on my recent ownership thread, we had been intending to do this in the near future anyway, prior to learning of this news.

Cheers!
Shiryu

Hello admin, and first of all thanks for all your years of hard work. Very sad to hear MYFF is coming to an end, no chance it's an early April's Fool eh?  

I'm the admin of http://icavalieridellozodiaco.myfreeforum.org/ and like others I'd like to know the price for exporting the database, and what kind of features a new host should have/support to be able to import it.
I know basic HTML and CSS, but unfortunately no php  

Thank you!
myff admin

As of now the cost of an export is a donation and therefore less than the old price.

A system would need to be able to import phpbb2 or phpbb3.
Yankale

10X

Yankale

rola wrote:
.....Should it be a problem to convince 100 members for a 10$ donation per year or 200 members donating only 5$, or each subscriber donates only 1$ per year and a proud amount lefts over?
Im not convinced that FB is a better solution for a smart forum like this one.

I totally agree that it is possible to raise the amount of money required to keep myff alive

verithingeoff

http://modelandtoysteamforum.myfineforum.org/

I agree with the others that we should fund these forum to keep MFF going. I run three forums here and dread the thought of having to go through three lots of transfers.

MFF admin can you come up with a definite cost per annum to keep you in business

Just want to say also, a personal thanks for the support I have been given over the last few years

regards
Geoff  
teetee

teetee wrote:
So sorry to hear this as you've been superb in every way but I understand the clear issues you're having ,I would like to thank you from everyone on the forum for all your support and hard work it's been greatly appreciated

Have begun looking elsewhere but one platform is saying we need to upgrade to phb3 to import the forum is this doable or to much hassle ?

Can this be done please ?
One Time

I want to be absolutely sure, so i thought i would ask.  The donation price listed is 2.40.  So if i donate that much i can get a export of my forum? and if so who do i contact when doing this.
brucea

Admin,

It would help if there was a fixed charge for an export so that we knew what we were having to pay. Can you put a number up there that we can canvass our users for?

Thanks, Bruce
myff admin

Yankdale suggests we try Crowdfunding.

Rough premise would be aim to raise 10,000 to fund getting the systems to new cloud based infra structure.

This I think would then be combined with effectively shutting down the creation of new forums except for existing subscribers. With subscriptions set at possibly 3 a month.

Only subscribers would be transferred to the new system. Leaving hopefully a leaner cleaner spam free system with a viable income level.

Does that make sense to anyone?
Yankale

myff admin wrote:
Yankale suggests we try Crowdfunding.

Rough premise would be aim to raise 10,000 to fund getting the systems to new cloud based infra structure.

This I think would then be combined with effectively shutting down the creation of new forums except for existing subscribers. With subscriptions set at possibly 3 a month.

Only subscribers would be transferred to the new system. Leaving hopefully a leaner cleaner spam free system with a viable income level.

Yes indeed!
myff admin

Oh and I missed something, if the target was missed, donations would be considered as export payments.
verithingeoff

Oh yes, I'm up for that Admin
myff admin

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/myff-org
verithingeoff

We're off Wink  
Yankale

We need some time to transfer data. Can you provide a deadline for donations in order to reach the 10,000 GBP goal?

April 30th? May 15th?
myff admin

crowdfunder recommend 4 weeks for a campaign, Obviously there would be other means of paying for exports beyond that point.
Yankale

May I suggest to put the option of crowfunding as a separate post (anouncement) so it is not lost in this thread?
myff admin

I will be updating the forum announcement soon.
Spider Boy

Re: myfreeforum closure

myff admin wrote:
It is with deep regret that I have to announce that I will be closing the forums system at the end of June.

The facts are stark, the rise of social media has meant that myff has long ceased to be a viable business.

We are now facing rising costs, aging infrastructure and the need to make everything work of https to avoid another decline in what is already a dead duck anyway.

I love forums and the advantages they offer over facebook, and I hate to let down the thousands of people who still feel the same way.

But in the end the facts can't be denied and we either exercise a graceful shutdown with advance warning (and I will make forum exports available for a token donation or free to those who have paid for advert free) or we will soon find that things break and can't practically be fixed.

I can only offer my sincerest apology for the pain I know this will cause, It has been a pleasure to have helped create so many little communities over a stretch of more than ten years.

are you still going to honour this?
myff admin

Yes of course.
mooseman

Moderator of modelsteam.myfreeforum.org here.

While I'm really encouraged that the future tense has crept back into these posts I have a major concern:

We have a large (2000+) membership, and a number of members who will no doubt want to contribute generously to ensure the continuation of the service.....

However - let's say our forum raises 1000. Not impossible. But if the crowdfunding target is then not met, our members will essentially end up paying that amount for a forum export, and I can see that going down like a bucket of cold sick.

Sorry to be overly cautious - just considering options. Admin has our full support, but I'm not sure the "payments will be used for exports if the target's not met" is a good idea.
brucea

Sounds great and avoids the risks of trying to export and import existing forums.

Up for paying monthly for the forum.
myff admin

mooseman wrote:
Moderator of modelsteam.myfreeforum.org here.

While I'm really encouraged that the future tense has crept back into these posts I have a major concern:

We have a large (2000+) membership, and a number of members who will no doubt want to contribute generously to ensure the continuation of the service.....

However - let's say our forum raises 1000. Not impossible. But if the crowdfunding target is then not met, our members will essentially end up paying that amount for a forum export, and I can see that going down like a bucket of cold sick.

Sorry to be overly cautious - just considering options. Admin has our full support, but I'm not sure the "payments will be used for exports if the target's not met" is a good idea.

Anything like this is going to be rough around the edges. But frankly I don't think we are going to be raising silly amounts of money from individual forums, and I would also hope that people will be donating on our track record of being a good system to have a bit of faith that we will act in good faith,
perthtruebluetwo

Raising 10,000 pounds is never going to happen.
perthtruebluetwo

However paying a monthly fee would be a very good idea, can we not stay on the same platform just now and pay a  monthly fee ?
brucea

I've donated to the Crowdfunding appeal now and have put an announcement on to my forum asking everyone to consider doing the same.
myff admin

The key point is that the platform needs updating technically, when updated all should appear pretty much as it was, but it will be on the cloud with later software versions and with https capability. It is the need for those things to happen that lead to the conclusion that the end of the road had been reached.
If we can get that, and switch to a subscription mode only allowing new forums for subscriber or by invite then we should be able to ensure things for the foreseeable future.
cassini

myff admin wrote:

I must applaud the comments, I would like to contribute I know I have three boards but would only save one, would it be a good idea if Admin make a separate thread with the links to forums that have contributed    

Regards
Cassini
davecov

Out of interest, what happens to the images that some members have put on the MYFF gallery? On our forum we stopped members from being able to use the MYFF gallery many years ago but a lot of our historical posts have MYFF gallery-hosted photos on them. Will we need to download them all  and upload them to our own picture hosting services?

Dave
myff admin

The gallery would undeniably be a problem child in terms of closure.
MrsM

Re: myfreeforum closure

myff admin wrote:

We are now facing rising costs, aging infrastructure and the need to make everything work of https to avoid another decline in what is already a dead duck anyway.

This is such terrible news. I have lost some dear friends within my forum, so past messages etc mean so much to many of us in the way of memories. I can totally understand why this is happening.
Is it possible to explain how to do the whole export to another forum if I can find one
I am not up with the technical jargon so as simple as possible would be great thank you.
Debbie x
davecov

myff admin wrote:
The gallery would undeniably be a problem child in terms of closure.

Thanks for letting me know, Admin.

Dave
myff admin

With an export we provide the data in a format that the people importing should be able to deal with, and have always in the past succeeded in dealing with.
This does contrast with some other free forums systems where they aim to make "escaping" as hard as possible.
I can't say much more than that, as basically I don't know other forums import systems, all we can do is ensure that we provide as much as we can to make it possible.
Lets hope the crowdfunding works so that it does not come to that.
Shiryu

myff admin wrote:
As of now the cost of an export is a donation and therefore less than the old price.

A system would need to be able to import phpbb2 or phpbb3.

Understood, thank you. If it comes to that, does the export include everything (user lists, pms, posts, graphics etc)?

Reg the crowdfunding, I share mooseman's concerns. If donations are made but the target is not reached, we would have the database which presently I'm not sure I'd be able to import somewhere else, nor I have found a suitable place to export to if it comes to that. I'm happy to make a small donation of my own, but I can't ask my forum members to do the same when we might still end up having to restart from scratch for lack of technical knoweldge or of a new home that we like. This creates a vicious circle, with less people donating and a lower chance to reach the goal.  

I would reconsider overlapping the crowdfunding and the contribution. If the former is refunded in case the goal is not reached, more people would be willing to take part in my opinion.
perthtruebluetwo

I admire the thought however 10k is a ridiculous sum of money to try and raise , its never in a million years going to happen, good luck though.
verithingeoff

As I understand Crowdfunding, if the target is not reached then the pledges are not paid over
Yankale

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
I admire the thought however 10k is a ridiculous sum of money to try and raise , its never in a million years going to happen, good luck though.
Just wait and see!!!
Gerry ukaf

myff admin wrote:

Sounds good to me (not that I know what the words mean, other than this great group will continue)

Edit just tried to do a 60 donation, but not got paypal or want them in my life, any way of donating other than them? I might be able to use a friends paypal account if not
Yankale

I  tried to donate 100 pounds but paypal is not the an ideal option for me.  

What I meant buy crowdfunding is that admins and others will pay directly
to the myff admin the same way they pay for ads free forum or transfer of data etc.

What I'd like to suggest is to crate a link on the forum and we'll pay using a credit card.

In this way you get all the contributed money (nothing goes to fund raisers) and
I don't have to open a paypal account.

If this can be done I'll send an e-mail to all my forum memebrs about the fund raising.
I have ~ 4000 members most of them active.  

Please  
Georgypan

perthtruebluetwo wrote:

The forum directory shows that MYFF hosts 32,000 forums with over 2 million members. A very rough calculation tells me that even if only a quarter of the forums are active and each one of those donated 1, we would be at 10,000 within days. A fiver each and we'd be oversubscribed. Feel free to shoot me down if I've miscalculated; I'm not the best mathematician.
Gerry ukaf

Yankale wrote:
I tried to donate 100 pounds but paypal is not the an ideal option for me.

What I meant buy crowdfunding is that admins and others will pay directly
to the myff admin the same way they pay for ads free forum or transfer of data etc.

What I'd like to suggest is to crate a link on the forum and we'll pay using a credit card.

In this way you get all the contributed money (nothing goes to fund raisers) and
I don't have to open a paypal account.

If this can be done I'll send an e-mail to all my forum memebrs about the fund raising.
I have ~ 4000 members most of them active.

Please

Why not do both? I know that one or two of my board members have already 'kicked in' on the crowd funding site, so leave that as is, plus add a link so that I & others can pay direct by using a credit card.
Gerry ukaf

Georgypan wrote:
perthtruebluetwo wrote:

The forum directory shows that MYFF hosts 32,000 forums with over 2 million members. A very rough calculation tells me that even if only a quarter of the forums are active and each one of those donated 1, we would be at 10,000 within days. A fiver each and we'd be oversubscribed. Feel free to shoot me down if I've miscalculated; I'm not the best mathematician.

My forum has a 'membership' of over 1,000, but out of that, there may only be 100 or so who regularly come on daily/weekly, but even so, I worked it out that if all of my forums members were to kick in 10, we'd be there - so we could well hit the target soon - just depends on how much people value their communities, I've been on 3 other forums that I'm a member of on the MYFF and told their admins about this (most hadn't noticed the announcements)
Georgypan

Good point.  I hadn't noticed the announcement either until two of my members alerted me.  Could it be made in much bigger font?
brucea

Of the 8 that have pledged so far, 4 are from my forum

So come on guys, we can do it.
myff admin

Things are now set up for card payments via crowd funder
Yankale

myff admin wrote:
Things are now set up for card payments via crowd funder

I'll try it again.
Yankale

Now it worked.  I will spread the news to all my forum members.

Spokesmann

I will be asking all members of my forum, 10 years old this year, to do what they can and make a contribution to the crowdfunding call.

Mike
Freesteam Forum Admin
Gerry ukaf

I'll be putting it to the team of admins/mods on my forum, and there's a discussion going on regarding what to do, turns out that we've a guy who runs his own business servers, which he's offering us space on, so might be migrating, depends on what is decided by the members & 'team'
moley

I have made a thread on my forum, and several of our crowd have already contributed.

http://ukkippercaperers.myfreeforum.org

I am in no way techie and my members have asked for some clarification of where we stand if the target isn't met?
Georgypan

moley wrote:
I have made a thread on my forum, and several of our crowd have already contributed.

http://ukkippercaperers.myfreeforum.org

I am in no way techie and my members have asked for some clarification of where we stand if the target isn't met?

I'd like to know this too.  If the target isn't reached will the pledges be returned?
verithingeoff

Short answer, no. The money will go towards funding copies of the forum to those who contributed.

Yankale

Many of us invested 5-10 years in creating a database. Dr. Google knows us.
Google always rates websites higher than forums.

Once you move your forum to a new server you will be forgotten in no time.
Keep that in mind when you consider to transfer your data to a new server.
How much are you willing to pay to keep your Google rating?

Have a great weekend.

Yankale

Many of us invested 5-10 years in creating a database. Dr. Google knows us.
Google always rates websites higher than forums.

Once you move your forum to a new server you will be forgotten in no time.
Keep that in mind when you consider to transfer your data to a new server.
How much are you willing to pay to keep your Google rating?

Have a great weekend.

Yankale

Keep your Google rating for free.
========================================

Transfer of data costs ~ GBP 350-450 which is downloading charge + time for installing
the data on a new server. An expert will do that in ~5 hours. You will start paying a hosting
fee of ~ GPB 5 /month or more based on your database size + you lose your Google rating.

What I've donated - GBP 100 - is way below the minimum I am willing to pay in order to keep my Google rating.

Say a huge Thank You to Martin, be generous!!!

FoxyRhino

Sad to hear this. I created our forum (just a place where a few friends can chat) when Excoboard bit the dust last year out of the blue. I'm not expert on database matters so would it possible to have an idiot's guide on how to export our board elsewhere?
myff admin

We export what is needed for an import to occur. Basically how that is then imported is down to the place the forum is going.
Shiryu

How does the export work (email attachment, link, dropbox etc), and how up to date is it?
james73

Really sad to hear this though I understand it perfectly. Hopefully the crowdfunding will do the business.
Yankale

james73 wrote:
Really sad to hear this though I understand it perfectly. Hopefully the crowdfunding will do the business.

Thanks James. I Hope your generous donation brings us closer to the goal.
countryboy

verithingeoff wrote:
Short answer, no. The money will go towards funding copies of the forum to those who contributed.

Once you have clicked on their "donate" tab you will see that Crowdfunding say this " Your card will only be charged on 19th April 2017 if the project is successful." If I understand it correctly there is no question of refund because they won't take the money in the first place. That obviously assumes that the donations are made through Crowdfunding and that the target is not reached.  

MYFF, there is not much new that I can add to all the good things that have already been said about the service you have provided over the years. Perhaps just a big thankyou and like so many others I will be extremely sorry if you close down.

I do believe that the Crowdfunding approach could work and do hope it does but feel I must offer some criticism of the way it is being handled. This is intended to be constructive and no reflection on any of the enthusiastic individuals involved. As I said , I want it to work.
- It immediately needs to be delegated to an experienced fund raiser or more general project manager. It plainly doesn't have one at present or the two links at the top of my forum wouldn't cause immediate confusion by leading to the same place.
Please help to prevent the forum from being closed
Crowd Funding
And having got there I wouldn't be even more confused by what has or has not been said . A simple Q&A section would resolve a lot of the issues ( such as the question of refunds ).
- It needs clarity regarding how forum admins can participate. At one stage we are told to solicit all our members then later it is implied that this  would be an outrageous thing to do.
- It needs more time. I noted that the "promised" closure date is June but there was no mention of the April CF deadline until I put it up there myself.
I do have some experience and will be arrogant enough to offer to help with these matters if I can. That would of course be FOC and add something to my thankyou. Perhaps MYFF Admin could pm Admin at my forum if he wishes to follow this up. http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org/
Sorry to bang on and apols if I am out of order.
All the best.
verithingeoff

So, what does this mean "This project is using Flexible funding and will receive all pledges made by 8:21am 19th April 2017" ?
myff admin

All options are being looked at right now, but probably a keyword is trust, myff in more than ten years have never sent your members a single email or sold their email addresses etc, or run excessive or scammy advertising.
Ironically if we'd run the sort of advertising FB does the situation might be different, and maybe one could argue that would have been a better scenario...
Anyhow as I say, a bit of trust is needed here, I am trying my best for what can be done, whilst facing up to the reality that business as usual was no longer an option.
verithingeoff

Admin, my comment was aimed at countryboy not you
myff admin

verithingeoff wrote:
So, what does this mean "This project is using Flexible funding and will receive all pledges made by 8:21am 19th April 2017" ?

Again please trust, that seemed like the sane option to click in the circumstances.
But when push comes to shove if we raise 9,999 or 19,999 in pledges, then unless good can come of it, it will be canceled with no money taken unless it either takes us forward live or seems just like a reasonable way of people donating for exports.
I have not spent more than ten years of work on myff, trying to run something in an ethical way, only to sour that by shitty behavior at this point.
RAF065

As a newbie I have not made enough posts to send a PM to Admin requesting an export of my forum. How many posts do I need to make or what is the email address that I need to send my request to?
myff admin

There is no need for private communication unless something really is a private matter.
RAF065

If I cannot request a forum export by email or PM, are you saying I must do it as a post on this forum? The rules have changed so that an export should be requested with a donation at the Myff shop, but there is nowhere on the donation form to state what the donation is for, other than to give the forum link; so how do you associate the donation to the export request. Does it all have to be done publicly on this forum?
myff admin

If you make a donation, then we will be emailed and will then contact you via email.
Sorry for the confusion.
RAF065

Thank you. I have made a donation.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements! Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum