Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
CodyT07

MyFF style wiki?

I'm seeing more and more of these on websites now, so I thought I bring it up. We have a few member written guides on the support forum so it has grounds. Howtodoit is great don't get me wrong but some people might have things they might like to share.

3 ways I can see doing this
Actual open source wiki program (looks like a lot of work)
A wiki forum (maybe)
A separate forum in the support forum (possibly easiest and most noticeably at the time. could be better named 'community submitted guides')
Gosu71

Great idea.

I prefer the 3'rd option personally
myff admin

It is certainly a good idea.

Though it should not be forgotten that Symon does accept contributions to howtodoit, so it may not be the best of things to further diffuse where guides are found  
Gosu71

the forum "search" and howtodoit are invaluable tools, I always go there and search before even thinking about posting for help.

But I do like the idea of the "community submitted guides" forum.
CodyT07

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
It is certainly a good idea.

Though it should not be forgotten that Symon does accept contributions to howtodoit, so it may not be the best of things to further diffuse where guides are found  

Could run into suggestion 2, community forum on how to do it (I dont think symy would like though, as HTDI as is is a 'read only') or a separate howtodoitcommunity.myff.org all together
Could have the disclaimer "Unofficial support on these guides, support not always guaranteed!' on the community and 'official support' on the normal HTDI which hopefully could point to 'use these guides first!'. If a guide is rated good enough by the community it could go to HTDI official.

/just throwing out ideas.
myff admin

Gosu71 wrote:
But I do like the idea of the "community submitted guides" forum.


Don't get me wrong on this, I also like that idea.
Daniel(u1bd2005)

Yeh I really like the community submitted guides idea too, would be interesting to hear symons views on this subject as he is the guidemaster.
symon

The main HOWTODOIT is in the webpage view so this idea would not work.

How ever on my sister site it is in a forum view.

My concerns are as follows.

I could make a section available for this, however this would mean

1. People to register to post , as guest posting would attract trolls.
2. All user submitted guides would have to be checked first to make sure they work
3. Time ..... To check guides as give the green light
4. People copying the guides would maybe submit support questions, this defeats the whole idea of HOWTODIT as it is uncluttered.
5. Peoples guides that are reject might try and make a stand and become a pain.
6. Hosting pics from certain picture hosting companys that the poster might try and use , have nasty popups etc, so a rule to only use the attach image would have to be put in place.
HOWTODOIT is alittle behind the times i agree as personnel issues have taken over,, i do need to update a lot on them.
CodyT07

symon wrote:
The main HOWTODOIT is in the webpage view so this idea would not work.

How ever on my sister site it is in a forum view.

My concerns are as follows.

I could make a section available for this, however this would mean

1. People to register to post , as guest posting would attract trolls.
2. All user submitted guides would have to be checked first to make sure they work
3. Time ..... To check guides as give the green light
4. People copying the guides would maybe submit support questions, this defeats the whole idea of HOWTODIT as it is uncluttered.
5. Peoples guides that are reject might try and make a stand and become a pain.
6. Hosting pics from certain picture hosting companys that the poster might try and use , have nasty popups etc, so a rule to only use the attach image would have to be put in place.
HOWTODOIT is alittle behind the times i agree as personnel issues have taken over,, i do need to update a lot on them.

1. Shouldn't be to bad of a problem.

2&3.. Only practical way I see around is to divide the forum into 'Untested' and 'Approved' Only let mods/admin post in the Approved section so when a guide does get checked it could be moved into that section. We might have some 'trusted' testers on here that wouldn't mind trying them out if time is an issue.

4. I'm kinda lost on that/

5. Good point but does reward outweigh the risk?

6. Possible, but then again that is why we would check guides.  

I'm just giving ideas if anyone else has better?
Zudane

I like the idea of this.  And the forum guide for it would be a good way to do it.  Could be done very well with the idea of "Untested" and "Approved" guides.  Shouldn't be too difficult to put in a breaker between the first post and replies, giving a clear definition of where the guide ends and questions begin.

This would be nice because people could throw together guides of things they have done.  For example I've added in the lytebox (simple to do though) as well as a home-made arcade (running flash games from other sites).  This would give a LOT more personalization for the forums and a much better reason to choose MYFF over other sites.
symon

Ok i have made the sections for this idea, so letsa give it a try and see what happens.

http://howtodoit.myfastforum.org/index.php

I will make the rules today.

If anyone has any comments post below.
symon

Rules now made.
myff admin

Excellent.

I think somehow or other I will see how we can send out t-shirts to contributers
symon

Had to make a few changes to the template as it wqas only set up for me lol,,,,,


So added the new (now old ) WYSISWG panel, etc.......

Posters can only post in that section and users can reply,,,, now will need to add a break line between first post and any replies to make it clear where the guide ends and the questions start etc.... hmm thinking of it is this really needed ?
Viper

Re: MyFF style wiki?

CodyT07 wrote:
A wiki forum (maybe)


What's a wiki forum?

IMO, if you're going to do this, you may aswell use actual wiki software rather than just writing it all out on a forum again.
myff admin

But we are about showing what can be done with forums, so moving off onto Wikis has drawbacks.

It would be more interesting to mark a forum as a "Wiki" much like we do with "Blog" forums and have wiki functions in the forum itself.

e.g. have a forum where all members of a group have editing rights, and where when you edit the first post which would be the article then revisions are stored. It might not be that hard to manage.
Zudane

It would be awesome to see a wiki option available for forum!

I assume this would be phpbb2 to begin with though, since phpbb3 doesn't have the blog style either.
Nick(NR)

hmmmmmmmm............................ http://wiki.phpbb.com/Main_Page

seems like a lot to make work alongside a forum.
Zudane

I don't think so much a style like though, more just as the first post of a thread is the article, and possibly adding misc links on the side to categorize them.
CodyT07

I assume and see what happens on HTDI and see if their is enough grounds if a bigger project is needed. As we can slap 'beta' on this  
Viper

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
But we are about showing what can be done with forums, so moving off onto Wikis has drawbacks.

It would be more interesting to mark a forum as a "Wiki" much like we do with "Blog" forums and have wiki functions in the forum itself.

e.g. have a forum where all members of a group have editing rights, and where when you edit the first post which would be the article then revisions are stored. It might not be that hard to manage.


What drawbacks does it have? Because the info isn't on a forum that means people aren't going to read it? From experience, Wiki's are easier to navigate, easier to read and easier to search than forums. I'd say it's easier to submit articles aswell and there isn't really a need to 'mod' it as bots do most of the work. HowToDoIt does its job just fine but a Wiki would be a great addition IMO.

A forum can never be a "Wiki" seeing as it's what it is - a forum. A Blog is just a diary on the Internet that can be posted anywhere.

I just don't see the point in writing all the HTDI info out again?
myff admin

I am reminded a bit here of the new downsizer recipe database, that replaces dedicated recipe code with our new CATALOG portal.

The recipe code was dedicated to the task, much as a wiki is. But the PORTAL I have put in its place seems to have 100% approval as being better?

Why? I can think of two reasons.

1) There is no feature creep. It does the job simply.
2) It lets people post recipes using the forum interface they already know and use.

A forum wiki would be similar.
Bravo

Extra ways of getting information for forum admins.
More chance for people to stumble upon the greatness that is MFF.

What's the harm?

For those that don't know how this would look, here is an example instruction wiki for a game I sometimes play called Hearts of Iron II: HOI2 Wiki
myff admin

I think my mind is quite set on this one.

It can be done with portals, and I think done fairly well, and in a way that is phpbb3 compatible.

I have been looking for the next big addition and this is it.

There are still questions, for example it may make sense to use an existing Wiki implementation? but given we are a forum then going with what people know, e.g. bbcodes and the posting interface they understand is attractive.

Basically just run a forum where people can edit the first post, and you have a very crude wiki, then layer on top of that a popup control panel that uses web2.0 to show revisions and allow MOD actions.
Zudane

I think this is a great idea, and can be easily incorporated directly into the forum, and once it's done I may even use.
symon

Well been a week and 0 sign ups and 0 posts or guides.

So im wondering is it worth it.
CodyT07

symon wrote:
Well been a week and 0 sign ups and 0 posts or guides.

So im wondering is it worth it.

It really hasn't been mass advertised, I was just holding off until admin finishes his wiki set up.
Zudane

I think it's going to take something different to get it going.  Adding a user-postable-guide section to a long standing site that has no user-posting means that it does need to be advertised.

I mean, could always add code like what I have for the reload (myff domain to my own domain), or for the arcade, which I already have posted.

Could also post the Karma for phpbb3.. I just have barely had time to sleep so far this week.

       myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum