Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Crowd Funding
myff admin

MYFF Crowd Funding

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/myff-org

We have launched a crowd funding initiative to get myff up and running and updated to new https standards in the cloud.

The aim is to raise £10,000 for the initial transfer, and then work off a very low cost subscription model to help us keep on running the service to the standard members have come to expect of us over the years.

If we fail in this target we will have to close down, but forums that have donated or have paid for advert free will get a free forum export.

Please help us in our hour of need.

If you do donate, then please start a thread with your forums link as subject in this forum.
cassini

Donated £20

http://screencappingzone.myfreeforum.org/
http://cassinicaps.myfanforum.org/
http://weathercaps.myfreeforum.org/

Regards
Cassini
Georgypan

http://free2chat.myfreeforum.org

Good luck
Yankale

Good morning,

Can you please modify the crowdfunding notification at the top of all forums,
so it is clearly visible? Larger font, bold, color. I'd also add few words. Something like this:

Please help to prevent the forum from being closed.
Crowd Funding.

And com'on good friends you can do much better!!. I thought that  20 admins can easily raise
2,000 in no time and promote the crowd funding among our users. We can do much better!
We've got great service in the past 12 years. Consider your donation not just as payment towards
keeping the forum alive, or a donation to move your data, but rather a great thank you for years of good service!

perthtruebluetwo

Yankale wrote:
Good morning,

so it is clearly visible? Larger font, bold, color. I'd also add few words. Something like this:

Crowd Funding.

And com'on good friends you can do much better!!. I thought that †20 admins can easily raise
2,000 in no time and promote the crowd funding among our users. We can do much better!
We've got great service in the past 12 years. Consider your donation not just as payment towards
keeping the forum alive, or a donation to move your data, but rather a great thank you for years of good service!

its pointless your flogging a dead horse we are never going to raise 10 thousand pounds never.
davecov

Whilst I understand the sentiment behind the Crowd Funding, the red writing in your Crowd Funding message is causing untold confusion for our members. It gives the impression that our forum could be closing down for good if enough money isn't raised. This is not true as we have decided to export our forum and leave MYFF.

Can you rephrase the message and/or change the colour?

Dave
SRSeditor

I have to say we aren't happy having the message across the forum header.

It is for forum admins to promote this if they see this as their way forward.

To email all forum admins would have got the message out to the people who have ultimate control on each forum destiny.

Sadly I think we will be looking to move off asap.
Daddy cool

Why was my free forum.org created then ???? Maybe consider changing for Mypaidforum.org......!!!
concretebob

Donated £20

Fingers crossed the amount can be raised †
http://shunterspot.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Yankale

Daddy cool wrote:
Why was my free forum.org created then ???? Maybe consider changing for Mypaidforum.org......!!!

The forums were free of charge for about 12 years. An ad free forum costs ~45/year. Thousands of admins used myff and loved it.
So why don't everybody give something back? † Isn't is just fair?

You don't have to, but no one has to lose money or to pay so you can enjoy being a forum admin.
You can move your forum anywhere you want. Just let us know when you find a free of charge system.

Be generous, be nice, Martin was nice to tens of thousands of people her for 12 years.

I can move my forums in no time to a free of charge hosting server. But if somebody helped you then give back.
ratty

Can you change the wording, members don't understand and think they are going to have to pay

www.yamahaxjrclub.com
Shiryu

Yankale wrote:

And com'on good friends you can do much better!!. I thought that †20 admins can easily raise

This is what I was referring to in the other topic. Several of my users are open to donating for the cf, but we are all on the fence because if it doesn't come to pass we are not convinced we would be technically capable of transferring the current contents to a new place. We would certainly try, but beyond that who knows. So it looks, in short, like there is a risk of throwing money in a hole, which is making people reluctant, at least until it can be determined whether it looks like the goal can realistically be achieved or not.

I myself will surely donate, both as a thank you and to get the data, but I'm not convinced this system with no refund planned if the target isn't reached is the best way to motivate people.
Yankale

ratty wrote:
Can you change the wording, members don't understand and think they are going to have to pay

www.yamahaxjrclub.com

You can send all your members and e-mail or post a global annucement and explain what the wording means.
They  can be generous anddonate or you can move your forum to another server.
Yankale

Shiryu wrote:
Yankale wrote:

This is what I was referring to in the other topic. Several of my users are open to donating for the cf, but we are all on the fence because if it doesn't come to pass we are not convinced we would be technically capable of transferring the current contents to a new place. We would certainly try, but beyond that who knows. So it looks, in short, like there is a risk of throwing money in a hole, which is making people reluctant, at least until it can be determined whether it looks like the goal can realistically be achieved or not.

I myself will surely donate, both as a thank you and to get the data, but I'm not convinced this system with no refund planned if the target isn't reached is the best way to motivate people.

In order to move your data you have to pay anyway. So why don't you pay now? You won't "lose" your money one way or the other.
If the myyf is shut down by the end of June as promised, you have to look for another sevice. It's not free of charge.
Your forum members can donate a small amount.
Shiryu

Yankale wrote:
In order to move your data you have to pay anyway. So why don't you pay now? You won't "lose" your money one way or the other.
If the myyf is shut down by the end of June as promised, you have to look for another sevice. It's not free of charge.
Your forum members can donate a small amount.

The standard transfer fee is £60, and previously the admin said he would waive it away in favour of a symbolic payment given the circumstances.

Even keeping to the original £60, there are about 10-20 users willing to pay at the moment. At £10 each, that makes £100-200, so up to 3 times more than even the standard fee, and possibly 5 to 10 times more than a symbolic fee.

My users are happy to pay if it guarantees the survival of the forum. But they are not willing to overpay the database if it's all for nothing, especially as we may incur more expenses later on to find another service and possibly even the technical help necessary to import the current contents.

I will donate over the weekend, either £10 or £20.
But I can't encourage my users to do the same until either it looks like the goal is certain to be reached, or the funding setup gets changed and money is fully refunded if the goal is not reached.
In the latter scenario, I would donate the refund again, to get the database, but my users wouldn't lose money.
davecov

Yankale wrote:

In order to move your data you have to pay anyway. So why don't you pay now?

That is not true. Those who have paid for an advert-free service are getting free exports of their forum if they wish. Others can get an export for a small fee.

Dave
David Halfpenny

Daddy cool wrote:

When MFF was created - some considerable while ago - the Cloud was not on the horizon, as it were.

I feel no need to be indignant about something so way beyond the control of the Developers.

(There are not many people who've escaped paying for a new computer and/or operating system over that period!)

David
Yankale

Shiryu wrote:

The standard transfer fee is £60, and previously the admin said he would waive it away in favour of a symbolic payment given the circumstances.

Even keeping to the original £60, there are about 10-20 users willing to pay at the moment. At £10 each, that makes £100-200, so up to 3 times more than even the standard fee, and possibly 5 to 10 times more than a symbolic fee.

My users are happy to pay if it guarantees the survival of the forum. But they are not willing to overpay the database if it's all for nothing, especially as we may incur more expenses later on to find another service and possibly even the technical help necessary to import the current contents.

I will donate over the weekend, either £10 or £20.
But I can't encourage my users to do the same until either it looks like the goal is certain to be reached, or the funding setup gets changed and money is fully refunded if the goal is not reached.
In the latter scenario, I would donate the refund again, to get the database, but my users wouldn't lose money.

As the one who actually brought the idea of CFing, I understand your approach.  But nobody can guarntee that we reach the goal of £10,000.
I see it in a completely different way. Assume the forum is closed on June 30th.  There are about 25,000 forums here and the same amount of admins.
Assume that only 5% want their data to be transferred. Martin makes a nice profit by just closing the forum £1250X60= £75,000.
If only 1% want their data than Martin makes just £15,000. He "asks" for £10,000 to keep it alive. This is a bad business decision.
Why keep a sytem alive for £10,000 if you can shut it down for £15,000 - £75,000?  

Martin (myff owner and admin) is a generous man, but he doesn't want to lose money on a daily basis.
Martin was very generous for 12 - 13 years. He provided a free of charge platform to ~25,000 short and long lived admins.
He was not losing money because he got money from either advertisements or a 45/year feee ads free forum. Once the social media took over,
he is losing money. If you lose money you have to stop the bleeding, and he decided to shut down.

My £100 pledge is a thank you note to show Martin my gratitude for what he has done for me since I started using myff in 2009.
Should we fail to reach the goal of £10,000 I will transfer the data at no additional cost.
I recommend to all admins to do the same: Say thank you to Martin, he deserves it.

To transfer data somewhere else costs £60 + ~5 hours of work at ~£60/hour, unless you do know how to do that. [Time=money]

If we fail to raise 10,000 I have already been offered a free of charge hosting by one of my forum members.  
Make your own calculation and your decision.  

I've done my decision, thanked Martin and donated £100.  If all admins do the same myff  remains a live.

Yankale

davecov wrote:
Yankale wrote:

That is not true. Those who have paid for an advert-free service are getting free exports of their forum if they wish. Others can get an export for a small fee.

Dave

You've paid £43/year for an ad free forum for years. The export fee is the minor expense - £60.
You will need to pay someone to properly import your data = 5-10 hours of work, unless
you know how to do it.

I don't know how to do that and pledged £100 to keep the forum alive.
It's very likely that the majority of the admins are in my situation.
If you are one of them why don't you pledge £100 and keep the forum alive? †

Please read my other post above. †

countryboy

http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org

Hi all, I'm afraid I am totally confused and am sure that many of my forum members will be even more so. With respect to you, Yankale this comment has got to be a joke "you can enjoy being a forum admin" and this one isn't so easy "You can send all your members and e-mail or post a global annucement and explain what the wording means". On the face of it the wording is self explanatory but the first question I am being asked is "how and when ?"
In order to find out I clicked on the red link and came to this thread which lists a number of concerns, many of which I share. That will not motivate people to pay. I then thought I'd at least make a donation myself, clicked on the blue "Crowd Funding" link and came straight back to here.
I think MYFF has done a great job over the years so I persisted. I question how many people would do so. I finally noticed the link at the top of the first post (made by your Admin ). Great .
Signing on to Crowdfunder as a guest made me wonder how you would know that the donation came from my own forum ( and would go towards the data transfer if it came to that ). Login with email under which address, any one of mine or just the one I use for here ? And do Crowdfunder get a record of my password? Either way my earlier question arises. I gave up.
Despite that I put a post on my own forum explaining that I had not put the red message up there without prior warning. I would clarify it before the forum might be closed down in June ( your post of 23 March "If the myyf is shut down by the end of June as promised") . That would give me plenty of time to explain the options and encourage members to contribute. Then I remembered seeing that the Crowdfunder site says "Your card will only be charged on 19th April 2017 if the project is successful ".  That suggests to me that your decision will be made in less than one month from now . What is the deadline for us to act ?
I do not intend this to be a personal attack on you, Yankdale, and apologise if it comes across as such. I'd just ask you to bear in mind that broadband hasn't even reached some parts of this country and many of us are not at all tech savvy.
May I make a couple of suggestions ?
Your Admin's post makes the situation very clear. His/her request for funding is well put. All it needs is A/ to make it obvious that the Crowdfunder link is the one to use, B/ to clarify how donations will be linked to individual forums and C/ keep it separate , giving just a link to any further dialogue. Perhaps better if A/ and B/+ C/ are under (2) separate posts themselves. Forum Admins can then simply copy & paste , adding  a note of their own to encourage support.
Sorry to bang on . Hope this has been constructive.
ATB
Yankale

Hello country boy!

[...With respect to you, Yankale this comment has got to be a joke "you can enjoy being a forum admin"...]

==========================

Many of us use myff for  business.  I believe you are one of them.

Other admins use it for pleasure. There are forums run by kids.  My comment was sort of a joke and my appologies if you were offended.  

Your comments very good. † I hope Martin comes here soon and implement them. The link to making the actual donation is at the top
of Martin's first post on this thread.

Here it is again: †MYFF CF

We have now 27 days left to complete the CF - April 17.
countryboy

Many thanks for quick reply, Yankdale . No, I am not a business user , am just running a small forum for the benefit of country folk living in the back of beyond, as I am . It keeps me amused and I learn a lot from the others. I am not tech savvy but spent a lot of time user-testing an expensive mainframe system and getting it to work. I found that there is often a wide gulf between what programmers think it should do vs what the end user actually wants it to do . The only hassle I get on my forum arises from a troll who has plagued it for years . MYFF support has been first class on the few occasions I have asked for it.
I took no offence and I'm glad you didn't.
All the best.
Yankale

Thanks again Country Boy.

We all share a mutual feeling: We got a top class forum an service.
Hope we get to keep myff alive.
Mav_polski

Contribution

swobodnadyskusja.myfreeforum.org/index.php

contributed 30 pounds .
Yankale

Dzien dobry,  Dziękuję  
Yankale

perthtruebluetwo wrote:
Yankale wrote:
Good morning,

Crowd Funding.

its pointless your flogging a dead horse we are never going to raise 10 thousand pounds never.

Your encouragement is appreciated. Why don't you donate?
davecov

Yankale wrote:
davecov wrote:
Yankale wrote:

Dave

You've paid £43/year for an ad free forum for years. The export fee is the minor expense - £60.
You will need to pay someone to properly import your data = 5-10 hours of work, unless
you know how to do it.

I don't know how to do that and pledged £100 to keep the forum alive.
It's very likely that the majority of the admins are in my situation.
If you are one of them why don't you pledge £100 and keep the forum alive? †

Please read my other post above. †

I was pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement.  I wasn't needing a lecture from you on what I do with my forum or my money.

Dave
Yankale

Thanks Dave. Have a great weekend!!! †
Gerry ukaf

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Have pledged, though we'll probably move (one of our members has offered us space on his servers) and so we'll also pay for the move from the shop.
This site has been a great place to start - I'd never have made a forum without it.
Hope everything works out well for you.
Gerry
Shiryu

Yankale wrote:

As the one who actually brought the idea of CFing, I understand your approach. †But nobody can guarntee that we reach the goal of £10,000.
I see it in a completely different way. Assume the forum is closed on June 30th. †There are about 25,000 forums here and the same amount of admins.
Assume that only 5% want their data to be transferred. Martin makes a nice profit by just closing the forum £1250X60= £75,000.
If only 1% want their data than Martin makes just £15,000. He "asks" for £10,000 to keep it alive. This is a bad business decision.
Why keep a sytem alive for £10,000 if you can shut it down for £15,000 - £75,000? †

Martin (myff owner and admin) is a generous man, but he doesn't want to lose money on a daily basis.
Martin was very generous for 12 - 13 years. He provided a free of charge platform to ~25,000 short and long lived admins.
He was not losing money because he got money from either advertisements or a 45/year feee ads free forum. Once the social media took over,
he is losing money. If you lose money you have to stop the bleeding, and he decided to shut down.

My £100 pledge is a thank you note to show Martin my gratitude for what he has done for me since I started using myff in 2009.
Should we fail to reach the goal of £10,000 I will transfer the data at no additional cost.
I recommend to all admins to do the same: Say thank you to Martin, he deserves it.

To transfer data somewhere else costs £60 + ~5 hours of work at ~£60/hour, unless you do know how to do that. [Time=money]

If we fail to raise 10,000 I have already been offered a free of charge hosting by one of my forum members. †
Make your own calculation and your decision. †

I've done my decision, thanked Martin and donated £100. †If all admins do the same myff †remains a live.

Yankale, I understand where you are coming from, but we are talking at cross-purposes. You are counting more on relatively large admins' donations, whilst I believe is smaller users' donations that might just do the trick. Looking at the CF page, yours is by far the largest donation. I respect and admire that, but I'd be vastly surprised if that turns out to be the majority, especially considering the GBP is a strong currency even in these Brexit days and the conversion rate is not favorable to foreigners. As it stands, the current structure is preventing people from donating, the exact opposite of what should be achieved.

What would be wrong with refunding the donations if the goal is not achieved? Those of us who want to migrate would donate again for the database, but wouldn't overpay it.
moley

http://ukkippercaperers.myfreeforum.org

Donation made and link posted.  Fingers crossed.
Yankale

CF works as follows:

The initial 30% are raised from relatively larger donations from fewer people 30? 50?
After that you spread the news among all your users, their family members, friends and neighbours (ust joking... )

Those people will have to add 5 GPB eah and we complete the 10,000 in 4 weeks.
I kindly ask all admins to help. Moving the forum to another server is by far more expensive.

Thanks a lot fellows.
keith ball

crowd funding

http://keyboardkapers.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Hi Admin. Regarding the thread for Crowd Funding...

Our Forum has been alive now for 6 years with our Anniversary coming up in a couple of weeks. We think that we've been successful in our endeavours to create a great enthusists Forum. Maybe it's time for certainty for the Members and pehaps we should be thinking about our own dedicated website and a transfer of our Database to that site. Personally I can only thank you for everything that you've done to help us on different occasions.

I understand that this is quite a daunting task to us mere mortals and would ask if you could give us some idea of the total cost of buying a dedicated domain and the transfer of our complete database if undertaken by yourself. This may be a good way to raise some funds for your cause from multiple forums.

Look forward to a response on this

Thanks
Keith
Yankale

Re: crowd funding

keith ball wrote:
http://keyboardkapers.myfreeforum.org/index.php

I understand that this is quite a daunting task to us mere mortals and would ask if you could give us some idea of the total cost of buying a dedicated domain and the transfer of our complete database if undertaken by yourself. This may be a good way to raise some funds for your cause from multiple forums.

Look forward to a response on this

Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith, I'm definitly not the admin but †I have some rough numbers of moving the forum to your own web site.
Buy a domain - From GBP 3 and up.
Maintainig a domain some GBP 15/year and up. †
Exporing data - GBP 60.
Importing and installing data GPB 300 and up.
Hosting - Depends how large is yor database.

It is much cheaper do donate here GPB 100 than shutting downj myff.

The myff admin snd owner, †will make more money if the forum is shut down.
John H

£30 donation made on behalf of
http://shareinfo.myfastforum.org
John
Sean74

Non-owner admin

I'm an admin at http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/

But I'm not the owner. He hasn't been active at the forum for years. If I donate to the CF campaign and the goal is not met, would you email the export file to a non-owner admin so that we could keep the forum alive? Thanks.
Yankale

Hi Sean,

I've noticed that Martin is not here for the past 48 hours. As to your question I believe / hope †( : †/ † )
you'll be able to get the database. But I'm not the admin here, so why don't you PM Martin with your question?

Have a great weekend.
Yankale
Sean74

Yankale wrote:
why don't you PM Martin with your question?

I was not allowed to PM here because I haven't posted enough yet. I just signed up for this support forum.

I'll wait for a public answer. Or maybe Martin can PM me a private one.
countryboy

RE: the recurring Q of whether donated money will be returned, the Crowdfunding site suggests that no money will ( actually) be taken unless the target of £10,000 is reached by the deadline . That is by 8:21am 19th April 2017 btw.
Their exact words are "Your card will only be charged on 19th April 2017 if the project is successful". You won't see that until you have clicked on their "Donate" tab.
Hope that helps.
Yankale

Many of us invested 5-10 years in creating a database. Dr. Google knows us.
Google always rates websites higher than forums.

Once you move your forum to a new server you will be forgotten in no time.
Keep that in mind when you consider to transfer your data to a new server.
How much are you willing to pay to keep your Google rating?

Have a great weekend.

Yankale

Many of us invested 5-10 years in creating a database. Dr. Google knows us.
Google always rates websites higher than forums.

Once you move your forum to a new server you will be forgotten in no time.
Keep that in mind when you consider to transfer your data to a new server.
How much are you willing to pay to keep your Google rating?

Have a great weekend.

Yankale

Keep your Google rating for free.
========================================

Transfer of data costs ~ GBP 350-450 which is downloading charge + time for installing
the data on a new server. An expert will do that in ~5 hours. You will start paying a hosting
fee of ~ GPB 5 /month or more based on your database size + you lose your Google rating.

What I've donated - GBP 100 - †is way below the minimum I am willing to pay in order to keep my Google rating.

Say a huge Thank You to Martin, be generous!!!

myff admin

Re: Non-owner admin

Sean74 wrote:
I'm an admin at http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/

But I'm not the owner. He hasn't been active at the forum for years. If I donate to the CF campaign and the goal is not met, would you email the export file to a non-owner admin so that we could keep the forum alive? Thanks.

I'm afraid we can't export to a non owner. The rules of dues process are still valid here.

Try and get the owner to authorise a change in ownership.
Yankale

IMHO 35 supporters should have raised by now a minimum of GPB 3500. At this pace we
will not raise 10,000 , and only 23 days left. Based on what Martin said all those who donated
will get a free of charge data download if we miss the target. This is a very good deal donate 20... so why pay 60? †

People are disappointed that the forum closure and yet nobody is willing to pay a resonable
amount of money. I have 3000 forum members. I know for a fact that if I ask, they
will donate. But there is absolutely no way that I ask any of them to donate a penny.
Shiryu

http://icavalieridellozodiaco.myfreeforum.org/

£20 donated
countryboy

Yankale wrote:
........I have 3000 forum members. I know for a fact that if I ask, they
will donate. But there is absolutely no way that I ask any of them to donate a penny.

Why on earth would you not do that ? Do you already charge a membership fee and therefore feel you can't ask for anything more ? I can think of no other reason.
I run a small forum which is not monetised. I cannot afford to personally donate a significant amount , say no more than £30 but hope that my members would collectively add £100 or so and be happy to do it in the circumstances. I note that the Crowdfunding site currently shows only 36 supporters for a total of £663. You need all the help you can get and pdq at that !
ATB

http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org/
Yankale

countryboy wrote:
Yankale wrote:
........I have 3000 forum members. I know for a fact that if I ask, they

..............Why on earth would you not do that ? Do you already charge a membership fee and therefore feel you can't ask for anything more ? I can think of no other reason............

I'm quite surprised about your question. Why should I charge membership fee for a free of charge forum?
The thought never crossed my mind since March 17, 2009, when I joined myff.

The reason I don't send an e-mail to all my forum members is as follows:

The next closest donation to mine is £60, made yesterday by anonymous. I do appreciate this donation.
One sad admin hopes that CF will do the business. But I don't his name on the supporter's list.
Would you ask your forum members to donate if sad admins don't?

I see there a donation of £1 by an anonymous. This one is from a forum member
who loves his/her forum and does not want to lose it.  This is a nice donation that I truely like.

I do understand that you can't afford to pay more than you've already contributed.
This can't be the reason why another 33 admins donated £20 or less.
And this is definitely not the reason why all remainning admins don't contribute at all.

Among my 3000 members there are at least 100 people whom I personally know.
If I ask they WILL donate and I raise a significant amount of money.
I'm personally ready to doante up to £350 †because this is the cost of moving the forum
to another server and losing my Google rating.

People who are not willing to join the effort, for whatever reson, do not deserve my support,
or the support of my forum members. I hope you understand now my approach.

The following is not a reply to you but a message to all admis:

I will be on vacation from Tuesday March 28 to April 6th. I will send my 3000 forum
members a request for donation only if †I see on the myff CF page at least £7500 raised by April 7th.
Morlock

Something to keep in mind which I feel was important enough for me to join up and say. Some forums do not treat their members very well at all. This will always have an impact, not only on membership numbers and interest but also when it comes down to hoping they will donate money.
Gerry ukaf

Yankale wrote:
IMHO 35 supporters should have raised by now a minimum of GPB 3500. At this pace we
will not raise 10,000 , and only 23 days left. Based on what Martin said all those who donated
will get a free of charge data download if we miss the target. This is a very good deal donate 20... so why pay 60? †

People are disappointed that the forum closure and yet nobody is willing to pay a resonable
amount of money. I have 3000 forum members. I know for a fact that if I ask, they

Not all admin have £100+ to donate to a good cause, however, out of all the members on forums if they donate an average of just 50p, then all expenses will be covered plus. Members of my forum aren't being asked to donate, they're getting off their arses and donating off their own backs, I haven't asked them to, they've made their own decision to donate, the possible closure has three threads about it on the forum in different sections, where members have picked up on the headlines - aren't your members asking/talking about it & are they going to be donating without you asking or do they only do what you tell them??????
Yankale

Morlock wrote:
Something to keep in mind which I feel was important enough for me to join up and say. Some forums do not treat their members very well at all. This will always have an impact, not only on membership numbers and interest but also when it comes down to hoping they will donate money.

If you don't have facts to prove your accusation your post is just a rumor.
Your name is not on the donation page.
Yankale

Gerry ukaf wrote:

Not all admin have £100+ to donate to a good cause,

- aren't your members asking/talking about it & are they going to be donating without you asking or do they only do what you tell them??????

1. Do you have £50? £25?

2. My forum is different than most forums here or elsewhere. And I can't explain in few words why my forum members are not even asking me "what is this note?".
I have to send them an e-mail in Hebrew and they will repond.  

If the admins do not raise at least 7,500 by April 10th I will not ask my members anything.

If the admins fail to raise 10,000 it means that all the admins are already planning to move their data eslewehre.
There are 2000 admins. If only 10% of them respond and each one donates £50 the goal will be acheivd.

Currently ther are some admins who are "sad" that the forum is going dopwn but they don't donate.
Ask Mr. Religion

Making the crowdfunding notice in yellow text would help as it is not really viewable at my site: http://rti.myfineforum.org

I have posted a Global Announcement at our site related to the fundraising:

http://rti.myfineforum.org/sutra25996.php#25996

Others are free to adapt the post for their own use at their sites to encourage donations.
Morlock

Yankale wrote:
Morlock wrote:

Exactly, because I was harassed and banned from a forum by a moronic Admin. Why would I donate?

What part of my original post was too difficult for you to understand?

I was providing some insight as to why many people will not donate money to internet forums and why you might find it challenging. But it's ok, prove my point further and be aggressive for no reason. We all know how these sites work.
countryboy

Yankale wrote:
......Would you ask your forum members to donate if sad admins don't?...........

I certainly would have done because I thought the sole objective of this campaign was to raise money from anyone who is willing to donate. I have now changed my mind , though not for the reasons you give.
I have made a personal donation as a thankyou to MYFF and will say no more on here.
Good luck. I fear you will need it.
Yankale

countryboy wrote:
Yankale wrote:
......Would you ask your forum members to donate if sad admins don't?...........

I certainly would have done because I thought the sole objective of this campaign was to raise money from anyone who is willing to donate. I have now changed my mind , though not for the reasons you give.
I have made a personal donation as a thankyou to MYFF and will say no more on here.
Good luck. I fear you will need it.

Thanks countryboy.

1. Thank You is the most important reason to donate. This is why I've donated £100.
2. It feels great to donate .
3. For all other reasons, it is worth (to me) ~ £350. I will raise my donation if all other admins join us.

Le'ts keep our fingers crossed until the fat lady sings...

Yes I do realize that we'll need a lot of luck. But I won't stop until the Fat Lady sings...
Yankale

Morlock wrote:
Yankale wrote:
Morlock wrote:

Exactly, because I was harassed and banned from a forum by a moronic Admin. Why would I donate?

I was providing some insight as to why many people will not donate money to internet forums and why you might find it challenging. But it's ok, prove my point further and be aggressive for no reason. We all know how these sites work.

Hi Morlock,

I thought your are an admin, like all people here. My sincere apologies   .
I agree that you don't have any reason to donate if your admin is a moron.
All admins are sad to lose myff. Yet only 37 donated money to keep myff running.
I hope you ignore your admin and donate something. If you won't I completely understand.
Morlock

Yankale wrote:
Morlock wrote:
Yankale wrote:
Morlock wrote:

Hi Morlock,

I thought your are an admin, like all people here. My sincere apologies † .
I agree that you don't have any reason to donate if your admin is a moron.
All admins are sad to lose myff. Yet only 37 donated money to keep myff running.
I hope you ignore your admin and donate something. If you won't I completely understand.

Hi,

Yeah I honestly didn't realize this was like an Admin type site until after I joined and posted. I saw the link and this discussion on another forum and felt it was important to express the "push back" effect poor Moderation and Leadership can have on forums and how it will eventually bite back on the company that hosts the site.

The Admin I talk about actually represents another company via his site and his attitude has led me to have a negative outlook on them as well. So karma catches up in the end.

I don't know how all of this works, I was just explaining why you might not get too many donations.

All the best.
Yankale

Morlock wrote:

Hi,

Yeah I honestly didn't realize this was like an Admin type site until after I joined and posted. I saw the link and this discussion on another forum and felt it was important to express the "push back" effect poor Moderation and Leadership can have on forums and how it will eventually bite back on the company that hosts the site.

The Admin I talk about actually represents another company via his site and his attitude has led me to have a negative outlook on them as well. So karma catches up in the end.

I don't know how all of this works, I was just explaining why you might not get too many donations.

All the best.

All I know is how I treat my members. I believe that your admin is an exception.
Thanks.
Gerry ukaf

Yankale wrote:
Gerry ukaf wrote:

Not all admin have £100+ to donate to a good cause,

- aren't your members asking/talking about it & are they going to be donating without you asking or do they only do what you tell them??????

1. Do you have £50? £25?

2. My forum is different than most forums here or elsewhere. And I can't explain in few words why my forum members are not even asking me "what is this note?".
I have to send them an e-mail in Hebrew and they will repond. †

If the admins do not raise at least 7,500 by April 10th I will not ask my members anything.

If the admins fail to raise 10,000 it means that all the admins are already planning to move their data eslewehre.
There are 2000 admins. If only 10% of them respond and each one donates £50 the goal will be acheivd.

Currently ther are some admins who are "sad" that the forum is going dopwn but they don't donate.

1) I, personally, have donated, and will be paying the 'full price' when we are ready to ask for the transfer file at the beginning of May (yes, we are planning on moving elsewhere).
2) אני מקווה כי הפורום שלך תומך לך את כל פעולות ומאמצים

With the announcement put up universally, visible to all, it isn't just the Admins that can or will respond - so it's down to all users on these forums to help save the site, several on my forum responded & donated off their own initiative - the same as when the plea to help upgrade the servers was put up.

Yes, I'm sad to see this valuable resource going down, if it wasn't for the MYFF team, I wouldn't have a) started a forum (which, to my surprise took off & became popular), b) made as many friends all over the world as I have, and c) met up with some of them & had a good laugh as well.

However, I've always held the opinion that no matter how well things are going, always have a 'backup plan' & once things go pear-shaped, fall back onto the back-up, then formulate a new back-up plan
Gerry ukaf

Yankale wrote:
Morlock wrote:

Hi,

All the best.

All I know is how I treat my members. I believe that your admin is an exception.
Thanks.

Yankdale, in this I fully agree with you
Yankale

Gerry ukaf wrote:

1) I, personally, have donated, and will be paying the 'full price' when we are ready to ask for the transfer file at the beginning of May (yes, we are planning on moving elsewhere).
2) אני מקווה כי הפורום שלך תומך לך את כל פעולות ומאמצים

With the announcement put up universally, visible to all, it isn't just the Admins that can or will respond - so it's down to all users on these forums to help save the site, several on my forum responded & donated off their own initiative - the same as when the plea to help upgrade the servers was put up.

Yes, I'm sad to see this valuable resource going down, if it wasn't for the MYFF team, I wouldn't have a) started a forum (which, to my surprise took off & became popular), b) made as many friends all over the world as I have, and c) met up with some of them & had a good laugh as well.

However, I've always held the opinion that no matter how well things are going, always have a 'backup plan' & once things go pear-shaped, fall back onto the back-up, then formulate a new back-up plan[/quote]

Thanks Gerry.
The backup plan is to move the forum to another server. It can be completed in 2-3 days, with the support from a techie.
I've been offered a free of charge hosting from one of my forum members.
It is also a good opportunity to upload a web site and have the forum there.

But as most admins and users we love myff and apprecite Mratin's support in the past 9 years.
bazfalty75

what happens to the domains i brought from here. is that the same company or a different one
Miriam

Hi, I've made a donation on behalf of teh Rebel Stampers at http://stampersforum.myfastforum.org
grannieannie

Oh dear!

http://happylottyclub.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Gutted when I read this.  I started my little forum, which consists of mainly senior citizens, trying to lose weight  and eat healthily, because it was a free forum.  None of us are well off, and I don't know if I can get any of them to help out.  I've already had a few messages saying, "but we thought the forum was free, now they are asking for money."

I know these things cost money to run, but thought that the bit of income from all the adverts was enough.  I know, I don't know much about these things.  So, I would like to find another free forum, but it would cost me money to take all my info with me!

Sorry, just being terribly confused here not knowing what to do for the best!
myff admin

Nothing is actually free, either you pay, or the adverts do, or someone is taking the hit for it all.
MYFF  has worked for over a decade, but can't sustain unless something happens.
On the scale of what people pay for take out coffee it would be nothing, but at the moment nothing is what we have and that doesn't pay the rent
myff admin

Looks like there may be good news on the horizon.

Please if you were abandoning ship, hold off on that for a bit.
FoxyRhino

myff admin wrote:

Good to hear  
davecov

myff admin wrote:

Fingers crossed for you and I hope it is good news!

Dave
james73

myff admin wrote:

I was going to ask a question about moving our forum.

Our ad-free payment runs out next thursday so I was going to ask for a copy of our forum DB this weekend as I cant afford to pay the full fee right now. Should I still hold off for now?
cassini

myff admin wrote:

Sounds promising myff admin I am still on board
myff admin

The plan at the moment is to cancel the crowdfunder and so no money will be taken
ratty

hope so, i don't mind paying more to be advert free

www.yamahaxjrclub.com
grannieannie

myff admin wrote:

Thanks for that.  I know nothing is free, but I had thought that perhaps the adverts were paying for the running of the forums.  I dont know much about this sort of thing.  I wouldn't mind paying a subscription of some sort, but we are only a tiny forum, and although I do have 32 members, only about 15 are regularly active.

I hope that whatever you are trying is successful, and look forward to staying here!
Tetsumonchi

I have just donated £50. Further to that, in the near future, although database exports are being offered in exchange for a token donation, my intention is still to pay the original asking price of £60 as I don't want to feel like we're profiting off anybody's bad fortune.

While my community is still moving to vBulletin in the near future regardless, I feel MyFanForum has been an excellent host over the past 5 years; reliable, customizable and one of the very, very few services that actually allow its customers to download the database, should they wish to move on. My donation is in appreciation to you, and in the hopes that other communities are able to benefit in the future as mine has!

I have posted an announcement on my forum encouraging members to donate even a small amount, if they can spare it.

Dave Sausages

Being one of the Admin that has been very happy with the services of MYFF, and have always been happy to be paid up advert free, I was about to donate, but as of Martins last post I will hold off, but more than happy to help with further donations if needed, or even increase the yearly price, it's damn cheap for what it is anyway. I sincerely hope things work out ok, MYFF has been very good to us.
verithingeoff

myff admin wrote:

myff admin

I am gratified by the nice comments, many will know that I set up myff in the first place on the back of getting a call for help from someone struggling with shitty service from a free forums system.
A bit of a look round suggested that this was pretty typical, and made me think that I could only achieve better
This also meant that having figured that things had got unsustainable, I could not in good faith, flog our members data off to the systems that I disliked the ethics of in the first place....
Touch would we have another path forward....
Spokesmann

Watching with interest.  
pedpolly

I hope you get it sorted soon and make an announcement.Since the banner appeared on our forum posts slowed up.
I decided to take early retirement from admin duties if we are closed.
So. Give us a clue. What's happening
myff admin

We have a buyer that looks solid. e.g. I was never going to pass on the forum data to the type of people I set up to compete against as I did not like their general ethics.
This made it look like a lost cause, but seemingly it is not
verithingeoff

Will it go forward as phpBB2?
myff admin

Almost certainly we are talking phpbb3.
verithingeoff

Not good news for guys like me who don't have the IT competence to tweak BB3 to suit the forum style
Frankonline

Looks like MyFFs possible reprieve will not help our forum. Within 24 hours of the important announcement our Admin saw this as an opportunity to retire and said he was resigning as admin. Nobody else wants the job and I'm stepping down from being a moderator too. The few remaining members are wondering if the long established forum  can continue to exist without an admin. I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear what MyFF thinks would or should happen.
myff admin

Forums have to have an owner, otherwise there is no one taking responsibility.
james73

verithingeoff wrote:
Not good news for guys like me who don't have the IT competence to tweak BB3 to suit the forum style

I thought that as well, but I've set up a phpBB3 version of our forum and it looks pretty good. It just takes time to tweak it and a lot of trial and error.

The biggest thing for me was figuring out the forum permissions, especially as we have a sub-forum-specific moderator. This is easy on phpBB2 but a lot trickier on phpBB3. Got it sorted, though.

HAVEN'T got the smilies sorted yet.  
Georgypan

Would it be possible to have an idiot's guide to changing my forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3?  Great news that we can continue.
james73

Georgypan wrote:
Would it be possible to have an idiot's guide to changing my forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3? †Great news that we can continue.

Go into your admin control panel. Then click on the link for 'forum owners control panel' and log in there.

Under the 'Phpbb3/Phbbb2' tab, you should see an option to "Create/upgrade a phpbb3 version of your forum."

Click on this and follow the instructions through. If all goes well, you will now see two links in the forum owners control
panel - one for your existing phpBB2 forum and the other for a phpBB3 version of it. Dont panic here - your phpBB2 forum
is still the default version your users will see.

At the bottom of the forum owners control panel page you'll see something like this:

phpbb3 forum link: http://{your.forum}.wonko3.myfastforum.org
phpbb2 forum link: http://{your.forum}.wonko.myfastforum.org

If you click on the link to the phpBB3 version it will take you to a basic version of your forum in phpBB3. You can then
login as admin and begin the process of altering templates, forum colours, etc. This is the bit that will take the most
time. The good news is, there's plenty of help for simple problems on phpBB3 on Google.

When you've finalised editing, then you return to the 'forum owners control panel' and select 'Make forum link' phpBB3
from the dropdown box. That'll set your forum to be phpBB3 by default.

Georgypan

Thank you James. That looks very doable. I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. I'm away from my computer for  a few days at the moment and don't want to do anything to my forum using my tablet so it will be a while.  
Spider Boy

http://howtodoit.myfreeforum.org/...component=content&topicid=726

here's the 'idiots' guide  

didn't work for us due to the size but hopeful admin will want to sort it using the phpbb2 import in phpbb3  
myff admin

I don't recommend you do the phpbb3 upgrade, it's just adding another variable to the process of what happens next.
bazfalty75

would £20 be enough to donate towards crowd funding to get the data base export ?
myff admin

It's entirely you choice. But as I have said it looks like we have a way to avoid anyone needing to leave.
Gerry ukaf

Looks like my forum will be moving at the beginning of May, though the guy who said he'll take it on would prefer phpbb3, would it be easier to upgrade to 3 just prior to purchasing the 'export'?
Georgypan

myff admin wrote:
I don't recommend you do the phpbb3 upgrade, it's just adding another variable to the process of what happens next.

I'm glad to hear that as I don't have the technical expertise to fiddle with the forum settings. Once you've finished with the changeover will I then have to upgrade to phpbb3 or will that be part of the process? I certainly won't be abandoning ship so it a relief that I won't have to find another home for my forum.
cassini

myff admin wrote:

I will not be changing mine over until the move however some phpbb2 boards cannot be changed over

Until we have a new host and stable forums I agree with myff admin it`s best to stay as we are until we are sorted. In reference to boards wanting change it`s fairly easy to do as long as you follow the instructions. You could always set up a dummy board to practice on changing over.
However I am in myff admin camp and feel he has made sense in staying as we are at the moment, we are not sure what this new host will be like  

Regards
Cassini
james73

cassini wrote:
myff admin wrote:

I will not be changing mine over until the move however some phpbb2 boards cannot be changed over

Until we have a new host and stable forums I agree with myff admin it`s best to stay as we are until we are sorted. In reference to boards wanting change it`s fairly easy to do as long as you follow the instructions. You could always set up a dummy board to practice on changing over.
However I am in myff admin camp and feel he has made sense in staying as we are at the moment, we are not sure what this new host will be like †

Regards
Cassini

Yes they can. You click on the 'create/upgrade a phpbb3 version of your forum' link at the bottom to do it.
Wander Woman

Following this thread on behalf of http://rescueremedies.myfastforum.org/  Admins and Mods.

We are a charity with limited funds, so we're following this news with interest. We currently use our MFF as a sort of archive (which we use frequently), having opened a new forum back in 2014. Martin may remember the drama of that period for us.

We're glad it looks like there is a solution on the horizon where no one will have to export data elsewhere. Will there be a deadline where we will be expected to act in some way?  

Thanks, Martin for keeping MFF going all these years.  
tmuir

Many members of our forum are complaining that the ebay links on our forum are redirecting them to vigilink.
Is this just a temporary glitch, or part of the long term solution as its driving some of our members spare?
Captain Sensible

myff admin wrote:
It's entirely you choice. But as I have said it looks like we have a way to avoid anyone needing to leave.

Hi,

Posting from http://yamahatriplesuk.myfreeforum.org for the first time. Thanks for the good work on the free forums over the years.

I noticed that the crowdfunding link has now gone from our site. Could you elaborate on your plan going forward?

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Crowd Funding Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum