Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

My page Portal idea?

How about a portal that would allow registered members (or group members) to upload a personal web page.

That page would then be shown in one of the standard portal type views. The upload would be screened to be limited in size and restricted for security dangerous tags.

The link to the page might be:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/mypage/myffadmin

or

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/mypage/userid

This is a very simple portal to write.
myff admin

Actually so that the core principle of portals, that of being able to copy them and run multiple copies, can be applied, the link would need to be more like:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/pages/mypage/myffadmin

I'd prefer it simpler, but we need to be consistent.
SRSeditor

I could be interested in this for my users.

If I could create some form of template from them to fill in it could be a bit like the 'garage' plugin you can get for phpbb...
myff admin

Have you looked at the "CATALOG" portal.
SRSeditor

Briefly, do you think I could make it work for what I want?
myff admin

Not sure, as I don't know much about the garage portal and I don't know much about what you want.

But the CATALOG portal does allow 6 searchable fields of various types and an associated forum post.
It works very well as a recipe database, so why not a car database?
SRSeditor

Thanks, will take a look.
Bravo

How about a 'myff profile' where you can set up the profile and log in on any forum using it.

Each profile could have it's own web page.

Or is that getting too grand?  I think in the long run it would use less server space than people having a web page per forum, and preferable too as people wouldn't need to fart about and makes registering for other forums much easier by using the same preference set etc.
myff admin

A common login stands alone as a valid idea.

I don't think it replaces the mypage idea (although it could have its own pages) as I can see pages could be tailored in various ways for individual forums.
Bravo

I do know myself I would have posted on more forums if it was a case of pressing one button to join and log in to a forum without having to go through the rigmarole of joining in the normal manner.  It would certainly increase interforum activity, as you click c button, your account is pre approved (unless the forum is further set to admin approval), your signature etc is already sorted (if global signature is selected) and you just click a button and post.  Perfect.

I'd have posted on a lot more forums over the years with such a system, I do honestly believe it would be a real goer, though this is of course with zero knowledge on how exactly it could be achieved.
myff admin

There are a few techniques, we already do similar with the arcade and the aborted social networking site.
CodyT07

Re: My page Portal idea?

myff admin wrote:
How about a portal that would allow registered members (or group members) to upload a personal web page.

That page would then be shown in one of the standard portal type views. The upload would be screened to be limited in size and restricted for security dangerous tags.

The link to the page might be:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/mypage/myffadmin

Would this link support name changing or members with Alt characters in their name?
myff admin

Yes it would, unlike the gallery where in all honesty I made a bad design decision   this would be keyed on userid.

This means that name changes will be ok and it will be possible subject to the vagaries of URL translation to pass through odd characters.
CodyT07

myff admin wrote:
Yes it would, unlike the gallery where in all honesty I made a bad design decision   this would be keyed on userid.

This means that name changes will be ok and it will be possible subject to the vagaries of URL translation to pass through odd characters.

Alright,  and one more thing, will forum admin's have the ability to moderate the pages (Just a just in case)?

Sounds like an interesting idea.
myff admin

Moderation would have to be there.
myff admin

I think the tricky bit here is feature creep.

This cannot and will not be a substitute for web hosting for members. So keeping it very simple. e.g. no multiple pages, no image uploads, use of the forum rules for html is probably the way to go.

If more than one page is wanted, then creating two or more portals would do the trick.
P Shivers

Would this be for all versions or just v2?
myff admin

All version if the demand is there.
P Shivers

Mark me down for one under demand
myff admin

Been thinking a little more and have implemented this:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/content/135283.html

Basically this is a way of accessing the CONTENT portal to show a single post.

It is clear that this does not give the individual user a page either by name or id, but it seems like a useful idea anyway. An easier and neater way of showing page content on portals.
judy

It sounds like a great idea, but in practice I wonder if many people would actually use it?

On my forum I have a subforum set up for member profiles. 31 members have actually set one up, out of a total of 248. Obviously different forums have a different class of membership  Wink  and most of my members aren't computer savvy at all....
myff admin

It is a very good question.

There is a hell of a lot of things like that on myff.

Card index forums
Blogging forums
Wiki forums
Web pages

For a start, that only a few use.

However what that tells me, is only a confirmation of the way all those facilities have been implemented!

And that is that non "core" functionality should never have any impact on the performance and function of what people actually use forums for.
As such all the extras are carefully coded to keep to that principle.
myff admin

One thing has very strongly occurred to me, prompted in part by the "how many people" comment.

One of the great successes with a portal on downsizer.net was the replace of a recipe component with a phpbb2 portal that was usable from each forum thread.

Make something a button on a thread and it becomes simpler to code and more accessible, that is a damn useful combination.

So what we would being doing is a portal that associated a postid with a user, absolutely trivial!
myff admin

I'm pretty committed to this road now, but there is a problem

Namely "post edit time" in admin/configure.

If used it has a conflict with what we want to do here

Now I can think of several ways to get over this, but I want to hear other peoples ideas.
P Shivers

I am not quite sure that I fully understand everything here, but my forum is used for information as well a way for people to trade and sell spiders. The more information a member can get on another member before doing business with them is paramount. We have a section for members to leave reviews and comments, but sometimes it is hard for novice users to find that info. If there was a way to include all of this in one page, that would be great.
This whole discussion has got me thinking about other things to do in that fashion. I don't see any reason that this kind of thing could not be added to a member profile with a button (like you stated) such as "Add To My Profile". It would be nice to have it be for posts or whole threads. I will look around in the content portal to see how it works.
This reminds me... Is there a thread here that explains all of the switches and variable names like the difference between {L_...} {U_...} and so on) and their usage? I have seen some explained in separate threads, but was wondering if there was one area with them all.
myff admin

There is no comprehensive guide for the switches. But some guides are there if you type switches into search:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/about7129.html&highlight=switches

for a start.
P Shivers

Thanks for the link, I have read that before, but I was not sure if that was still good for v3 or just v2 so I figured I would ask.
Found a decent list of the variables. I had to refer to a downloaded copy of phpbb and look in functions.php. That is where the vars get declared.
myff admin

It would be good to have a guide to phpbb3 I agree.
P Shivers

Even if we just had access to an example of the core files that are used here to see what changes you have made. Looking at template files helps, but sometimes that is just not enough.
myff admin

The mypage portal is underway, with one or two extra features that kind of make sense.

It was tempting to overload the content portal even more for this feature, but I decided that would be messy and limiting.
myff admin

The bare bones of this is now working in the office.

I'm aiming to install this Saturday, the code is trivial really, but I think some mulling over is needed as well as still some polishing to be done, so I really am not rushing this out.
myff admin

One thing I may integrate this with is user profile fields.

So if you set up a profile field with the same as the MYPAGE portal, then the value is stored as a profile value, as well as its standard storage.

This may be the time to automate the creation of xprofile fields to keep it simpler.
myff admin

One additional change has been made to user profile fields.

The format string can now take html tags and do very limited macro substitution.

So when a MYPAGE portal is used a MYPAGE profile field gets created with a format string:

Code:

<a href="/pages/MYPAGE/{USER_ID}">MYPAGE</a>

This can then be used to link to the users page. If the user has not set a page then no link will show
myff admin

Here is is and as it will probably stay for a first cut.

You may note that users can add a comment to their page and that can be optionally displayed, this has a variety of possible uses.

There is a default display page/post that can be used to help people with using the option.

There is also two ways of showing the page, the portal view or the index page view. The portal view uses the webpage defaults, the index view will use cms_index_body.tpl.

Note there is a small issue here, when you create an associated profile field its display will use whatever is set when the profile field is created, e.g. the option gets copied into the format string used by the profile field. If you change the portal setting you will probably want to edit the profile fields format to reflect the change.

I am pretty happy with this as it stands, and will try and install Saturday.
myff admin

Forget about the edit time issue.

This has been done in a very simple manner, the under utilised OPTIONS portal now allows a list of forums where the edit time limit is not respected.

It might be argued that on board which utilise the edit time limit as a form of moderation, then you'd want something a bit cleverer, but as I see it:

1) no one is forcing use the MYPAGE portal.
2) you can tell people to use a specific forum to set their pages up.
3) The edit time limit is there mainly to stop people destroying their own posts in a huff, and so disrupting the boards core content or the context of threads. That issue should not apply to how MYPAGE is used.
4) Last but not least, simple is understandable. A permissions system that does everything but which no one comprehends is not a good system.
P Shivers

Am I to understand that the "set my page" link will only appear under that members posts and they will not be able to set other users posts as their page?
myff admin

Yes, that is the only place the link will show if set for automatic display.

But! the system is not protected against other peoples posts being set.

any thoughts? Personally I can't see the need to actually prevent this.
myff admin

One frustrating thing that has transpired is that links simply cannot be:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/pages/mypage/userid

a link like that sets the base page in the browser as:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/pages/mypage/

and throughout phpbb2 including the templates, relative paths are used.

So it will end up looking for say your logo at:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/page...plates/myff_forum/images/logo.png

rather than:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/templates/myff_forum/images/logo.png

Short of rewriting every template nothing can be done about this.

as such the paths will have to use _ rather than /

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum