Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
emuman

MY BOARD WAS WIPED OF ALL FORUMS!!!!!!!!

http://romansiege.myfreeforum.org
What the hell happened?!?!?!?!?
Ziddy

Woo... Thats bad.

Have you disabled the board?
emuman

No I checked right away. But one of my users said he quit and all traces of him would be deleted so I banned him but its not like it would help consiedering there was no board left to ban him from. Anyway Im still pissed!
myff admin

SO they had admin access?

Only an admin can wipe forums.
emuman

I unadmined him weeks ago after he deleted all my users.
myff admin

fact remains no one can delete forums without admin access!

So you need to figure out how this happened.
emuman

Was there a free board backup mentioned somewhere?
emuman

Another board has been wiped!
http://warquest.myfreeforum.org
myff admin

We can do a restore for $10, it is not free.
CodyT07

why is their a delete this board button at the bottom?
emuman

That was just a joke its not supposed to do anything.
Ive solved it! The member befor ehe comitted suicide must of deleted all the users including me! Wait hold that thought. When I checked the admin panel there was no forums. HES GONE MAD! There are no users including admin.
COuld admin delete the board?
username:romansiege
password:I have no Idea Ill get back to on it. I cant fix it because I have no user on it and my email is in use.
CodyT07

emuman wrote:
That was just a joke its not supposed to do anything.
Ive solved it! The member befor ehe comitted suicide must of deleted all the users including me! Wait hold that thought. When I checked the admin panel there was no forums. HES GONE MAD! There are no users including admin.
COuld admin delete the board?
username:romansiege
password:I have no Idea Ill get back to on it. I cant fix it because I have no user on it and my email is in use.

you cant delete the admin name. He changed the name froma dmin as the member list always starts at 2. No point in deletting it if your gonna reopen it, as once you get the password back you just start over.
Master Mathandal

If he was planning on leaving and sabotaging the site, which it sounds like he was, then he would have had a good plan. The only thing that I can think of is that while he still had admin access, before you knew of the plan, he made a backup admin for himself. When you deadmined him he got into the user he created and sabotaged you.
emuman

That might explain all the spambots but they all had gawab emails which I later banned.
Master Mathandal

It could be that. You are just going to have to think of it as a mistake, one that you SHOULD learn from, and move on. Next time maybe you will think twice, no three times, about who you make an admin. I am not trying to be mean, but I have seen one site that was doing good, over 200 members and 120000 posts, that all went down when they made someone that hungered for power an admin.
emuman

I never suspected him of it though. He was the first one to join my project and the first to destroy it,ironic. Although that new user could have just been an imporsenator such as the one that tried destroying black smoke monsters forum. I was the only admin though. He even wiped out on eof his own boards except for one. His name is mahimahi42 aka Dark Lord Duck owner of http://warquest.myfreeforum.org and http://thecurseofshadows.myfreeforum.org
Ganon

I don't understand how people can start up a forum and give total strangers admin priviliges...

Unless it is someone you personally know (and even then I would be hesitant) why allow others admin access of your forum? IF you need help get them to help in other ways.

Somebody did this and offered me an admin position on their forum, I found this immenselly childish, if I wanted to I could wreak all sorts of havok, but I'm not evil, I did what he wanted, I helped him, sadly many people are total despots and would screw you over the first chance they get.

The solution to these 'cry me a river' scenarios is simple, don't allow anyone else but yourself admin access.
If a hacker comes along then it's a different story, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
CodyT07

Ganon wrote:
If a hacker comes along then it's a different story, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If you get hacked you either
1. Didnt use a good password
2. Told somebody the password
3. Didnt update your antivrus and firewall.
These baords you cant hack them but if the admin always him/herself to be hacked by their computer, thats their problem.
myff admin

Ganon wrote:

You can only hack a forum with a security hole, phpbb2 is in use the world over and if holes are found patches are released and quickly applied here.
e.g. it is very very unlikely a forum of ours will be really hacked unless there is a worldwide outbreak of hacked forums exploiting a newly found phbbb2 security issue.
We also apply fixes to security and do our own reviews ahead of official fixes, so we are as tight on security as it is practically possible to be.
You can never claim total immunity, but all hack reports we have ever received have always been the forum owners own lack of security.
Ganon

Indeed I agree with what you're all saying, security is tight. But as you also stated one day security holes 'may' be found and 'perhaps' exploited until they are patched.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Such a day may never come, and who would bother hacking a forum anyway, even if they could? It's the big influential bank sites that get hacked.

How many times have we seen instances of tens of thousands of credit card accounts being compromised by a hacker with no input from the account holders?
There was one such instance a few weeks ago with one of the major banks in this country. The hacker used the bank's online banking service to do his dirty business.

The bank thought they had some snazzy security in place. A lot of annoyed customers in the end. The bank had grown complacent and failed them.
myff admin

Agree with most of what you say, but unfortunately people will hack forums if they can.

Phpbb2 did have security holes and virtually all unpatched phpbb2 forums on the web did get hacked!

Security is a big argument in favor of using a competent free forums system, phpbb2 has had literally dozens of security updates in the last year, applying these patches properly for a forum is quite a big job and a job that whilst it can be done by any intelligent and careful person really in my view needs a proper php programmer to do it.
Cloverfield

Sorry to hear about your forum man. I wasn't going to let this happen to mine. NO ONE is ever going to be an admin there, which is why i said no to Salmaan all the time because he has done it twice before.
emuman

He wasnt an admin at the time and he even hasnt logged in to the forum until like the 7th of october, weeks ago.And all users were delted except for me which was changed to user name fat ass. I reviewed the IP loggs but they yeilded no help. What would admin say if the culprit owns boards at myfreeforum? Any way Im rebuilding my board and my advice is never make anyone admin or mods even if there your teachers,myff admin,friends,people you know. Just dont make anyone a mod or admin. The culprit owns http://thecureseofshadows.myfreeforum.org by the way.
And he must of hacked because he wasnt an admin and when he was an admin, even if he did create an admin user he dleted all users and thats when I unadmined him. Then maybe that got him pissed and hacked my board.
emuman

Oh and from his nickname "BAD" and the name he registered to his email and some other clues. I have gathered this info.
Name:Bryce A. Davis
Origanlly mahimahi42 aka Dark Duck Lord
apperntly knows VB. whatever that is...
Bryce
A/probably the first initial of his middle name
Davis

Was I allowed to reveal that information?
Once I find out where he lives Im rolling up tank on his frontlawn!
Using the internet I shall find him and fly in a tank!
Sweet sweet revenge!
CodyT07

did his ip reveal sbc global as his isp?
myff admin

emuman wrote:
He wasnt an admin at the time and he even hasnt logged in to the forum until like the 7th of october, weeks ago.And all users were delted except for me which was changed to user name fat ass. I reviewed the IP loggs but they yeilded no help. What would admin say if the culprit owns boards at myfreeforum? Any way Im rebuilding my board and my advice is never make anyone admin or mods even if there your teachers,myff admin,friends,people you know. Just dont make anyone a mod or admin. The culprit owns http://thecureseofshadows.myfreeforum.org by the way.
And he must of hacked because he wasnt an admin and when he was an admin, even if he did create an admin user he dleted all users and thats when I unadmined him. Then maybe that got him pissed and hacked my board.

You are plain wrong with the hacking allegation, and need to really figure out just what you did wrong, was there other admin accounts you did not know about? was your own password rubbish etc.
If yuo don't figure it out, you will have the same problem again.
emuman

When I did make him an admin I gave him my password to enter the admin panel. I didnt know admins could access the admin panel with there usernames and passwords. Shortly after I resteed my password. About last year. Then once he deleted all users that havent posted within a month I un admined him. I thought that was a mistake. Then weeks later I enter my forum and the first thing I notice it says "This board has no fourms." I click on the index and the same thing comes up. And also Im not automatically logged in. Apperently he changed my name to fat ass. I checked my chat box and he posted a message saying I have to quit and another message in the chat box that says all traces of me will be deleted. He wasnt an admin when he did that though I know I checked everyones usernames. They were gone. I was the only admin. He id the same thing to his board and posted that he left on my other board but he didnt delete it either. After getting my name and pass back from the board login on myff I checked the IP logs and He hadnt logged on to the forum since the 7th of october. Let alone do anything. Although there was another gawab spam bot. And my username only changed after I banned him and banned gawab email accounts. My users that were left voted on keeping the board and have the risk of mahimahi42 knowing the codes somehow. My Ip logs are gone now but I think it has something with that gawab user that recently joined. I was keep getting people registering with some gawab accounts and found out later they were fake. Even though they go through the trouble to confirm there accounts.
emuman

Hay he made a post on his forum!
Apperntly he had a copy of my password in his PM box.
mahimahi42

FYI: The www.warquest.myfreeforum.org forum was deleted, but it was deleted because the project has been terminated
mahimahi42

He deserved it. He was constantly rude to me, so now he knows what it feels like.
emuman

Like deleting my board made me feel bad. I was mad yes but since you killed it theres was nothing left to do. Anyway thats him. You didnt even warn us before deleting a board.
Viper

emuman wrote:
Apperntly he had a copy of my password in his PM box.

Let me get this right...

You PM'd him your admin password?

Then you come on here after your forum was wiped and say ''What the hell happened?'.
emuman

I had no idea he kept it. I changed it afterwords but apperntly after I changed it back he used it ruin me.
myff admin

At least there is an explanation though I don't read any apology from you for stating several times that you forum was "hacked" which directly says that we have an insecure system
symon

It was clear from the first post that you yourself messed up but insted of admitting this you try the boring old i,ve been hacked crap.

Quote:
Well you see officer i only told that man my pin number and bank account details once didnt think he would rip me off and leave me in debt but can i blame the bank please then its their fault and not mine.

time to take out t-shirts from cupboard again.

Nick(NR)

symon wrote:
time to take out t-shirts from cupboard again.

Where can I buy this shirt
mahimahi42

I don't see how this is releve...COOL T-SHIRT!
mahimahi42

Oh, I don't like that personal information is on the forum for all to see

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> My Fried Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum