Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Search Engines
Highspirit

meta tags

Do MYFF forums come with built in meta tags for search engines to pick up on or do you have to do them yourself, if so, how do you go about doing this?
myff admin

Your forum description goes in as a meta tag if you look at the source.

You could also place your own in the template you use (overall_header.tpl)

We could possibly do better on this score though, so I am listening!
Highspirit

Wouldn't it be possible to have a button somewhere to apply your own keywords for the search engines to pick up on
myff admin

Highspirit wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to have a button somewhere to apply your own keywords for the search engines to pick up on

As I say you can manually place them in a template. But we could extend what is done. For example I could easily make it so that if you made your forum description:

myfreeforum support forum (phpbb,support)

then what is out side the brackers is your description tag, what is inside would be keywords tags.

If someone who knows something about tags want to comment I'd be interested.
sean

admin wrote:

admin where about would i put the tags on ? i seen {META} but im lost with all this html language lol?
myff admin

sean wrote:
admin wrote:

admin where about would i put the tags on ? i seen {META} but im lost with all this html language lol?

{META} is where the automatic tags go and hence is a good place to add your own.
sean

thanks
Wills

Hi all

I'm not sure if you have gone any further with automating Meta tags, but I just added mine.
By the way You should also have a <META Name="Keywords" tag in there, search engine still use these a lot.
So if you are adding your own on the overall header template, it should go like this

<meta name="description" content="Your site description goes here, this should include some keywords & definitely should include your main site keyword ">
<META Name="Keywords" Content="All your keywords to be picked up by the search engines, separated, by, commas, ">

You can then go here for free analysis of your meta tags & keyword density

http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/meta-analyzer/
or
http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html

Ps.
When you do this check the word 'forum' some times comes up as a 'poison word'.
I have checked this out & there is no evidence of poison words being used by any of the major search engines. The consensus is to disregard it
big_mike

Hmmm.... right I have edited my forum descrition slightly to reduce the number of characters in it and also to make it a bit more relevant. It has changed on the forum. But if I run the http://www.widexl.com/remote/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html
it still shows the old wording for the description tag

Although further down the page in the box that talks about your site displayed in a search engine has the right text????

Also what is the correct place in the overall header template to put meta tags?

Here is the top of mine:

<head>
<META name="verify-v1" content="K13fJE1w9Jj4sM+bPvQFF15ZrEAmXmUmVlsCOLVqFd8=" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
{META}
{NAV_LINKS}

I take it I should change it to something like this:

<head>
<META name="verify-v1" content="K13fJE1w9Jj4sM+bPvQFF15ZrEAmXmUmVlsCOLVqFd8=" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset={S_CONTENT_ENCODING}">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
{META}
<meta name="description" content="Your site description goes here, this should include some keywords & definitely should include your main site keyword ">
<META Name="Keywords" Content="All your keywords to be picked up by the search engines, separated, by, commas, ">
{NAV_LINKS}

Is that correct? (obviously with my own keywords etc.)

Just concerned that I may end up with two descriptions!
myff admin

Why not change your forum description in the owner control panel. That goes into the description META tag we genertare for you.
big_mike

Is the owner control panel distinct from the admin one? I changed it in admin and although the text on the page changed the tags didn't.

I've now put the tags in as shown above and it is all sorted.
myff admin

big_mike wrote:
Is the owner control panel distinct from the admin one? I changed it in admin and although the text on the page changed the tags didn't.

I've now put the tags in as shown above and it is all sorted.

The main admin panel should give a link to the control panel if you are the admin who started the forum.
big_mike

Quote:
admin who started the forum

That will be why then!
Wills

admin wrote:
Why not change your forum description in the owner control panel. That goes into the description META tag we genertare for you.

Hi admin

You are correct about the putting the description in the control panel. Because if you add it in the overall header, you end up with two descriptions.
It would still make sense however to add the meta keywords.

The main problem I had is that I have a URL re-direction.
& changes made in the control panel appear in the original myfastforum.org URL, but do not appear in the source code at the target URL.

So changes made to the description & the footer have no affect at my site.
I had to do my changes on the overal header & footer templates.
& the old description is also still there. So I have two descriptions. LOL
But I don't think it will have a bad effect on the search engines - well I hope not

Maybe you could have a look at my re-direction to make sure its all correct?
myff admin

Once you have your own domain, the descprition has to be manually changed. Let me know what you want.
Wills

Thanks Admin

Here's what I want it to say:

Your Poker Forum For Local Poker Home Games, Local Poker Tournaments & Card Rooms. Talk Poker Strategy, Poker Rules, Play In Our Poker Freerolls.
myff admin

Wills wrote:
Thanks Admin

Your Poker Forum For Local Poker Home Games, Local Poker Tournaments & Card Rooms. Talk Poker Strategy, Poker Rules, Play In Our Poker Freerolls.

That has updated as you say under the old name. I have just made a change in the office that I think will ensure that all the right stuff is picked up. But I am not going to make that live at 20.30 it would be risky. I will send it live in the morning.
Wills

admin wrote:
Wills wrote:
Thanks Admin

That has updated as you say under the old name. I have just made a change in the office that I think will ensure that all the right stuff is picked up. But I am not going to make that live at 20.30 it would be risky. I will send it live in the morning.

Excellent work Mr Admin

I can access the admin from my domain now, instead of having to log in at the old URL.
I can access & edit the templates in admin & the changes I make at the control panel now appear at my new domain.

So I have removed my meta description from the overal header, but I left in my meta keywords.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Search Engines
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum