Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Buteo

Malware alert

http://paganfriends.myfreeforum.org

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:
malware, virus, avast!

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>

I've just got this PM from a member of our forum:
Quote:
Today I am getting a Malware alert each time I click on a page here. I'm using Avast! if that makes any difference.

I'm not getting any errors myself on either Chrome or Firefox (although I use AVG) so am not sure of this is a genuine problem or something else. I've never come across this issue before so am not sure what I need to do. Any help would be appreciated.
myff admin

Ask for more detail.

But keep calm. Ever so rarely they may be an issue with advertising, but we do take a lot of case on sources.

But equally AV software has false alarms, or people computers may have malware that itself creates alarms.
Buteo

Ta  

I've asked for more details, if there's any specific ads when the message appears and to do a scan on their PC just to be sure.

Will report back when I have more info...
poliss

I've just had this reported too. One of my members says "Avast is  flagging a malware warning when I open any "thecentralstation..." page."
He gives more details as, "the error report states the URL is theentralstation.myfreeforum/index.php?sid and the infection is html:iframe-inf."
Buteo

Just heard back from my user. Their detail is very similar to yours poliss:
Quote:
source http//:paganfriends.myfreeforum.org.php?F=47

infection HTML.Iframe-inf

Process D:\\Program Files\ Mozilla Firefox\ firefox.exe
myff admin

http://fieldsmarshall.com/htmliframe-inf-wordpress-infection/

suggests this may be a false positive.
poliss

Just did some Googling. 99% of the results seem to mention Avast, so it would also seem to me that this is a false positive. Ran a full scan on my PC with Malwarebytes, just to make sure, and no infection has been found.
Buteo

OK so it's nothing to worry about...any idea how to stop avast giving these messages?
Frankonline

A few people reported malware warnings today, the last one at 9-30pm BST was described as :-

Quote:
I've just had it flagged up by AVG (I'm on IE8)

something to do with "mapsintogooglenoodle"
bentalphanerd

I've also been getting messages about html:Iframe-inf, on both IE & Firefox

interestingly Avast is also putting up the message in this forum, so I'm suspect on the banner ads
myff admin

We have traced something down, there is an issue, though it would take users opening links and doing dangerous things for them to have a problem.

Our advertising managers are working on it.
bentalphanerd

myff admin wrote:
We have traced something down, there is an issue, though it would take users opening links and doing dangerous things for them to have a problem.

Our advertising managers are working on it.

That's great news

I just had a member comment saying they're using IE & it showed up via Nortons Internet Security - so the Avast only thing is out
myff admin

A rogue advert has been removed.
Buteo

Thanks  
bentalphanerd

myff admin wrote:
A rogue advert has been removed.

Excellent work tracking that down

Thank-you for this & every other time you've resuscitated our little forum
bentalphanerd

One last question - Should I be asking my members who didn't get the "Threat Blocked" message to scan their systems? Is this the kind of virus/trojan that could invade a pc system?
myff admin

I'm pretty sure only if something popped up and they chose to run it, or if they have very out of date systems.
jeff1960

some of my members are also getting virus blocks on certain pages of the forum.....jeff
jeff1960

virus alerts on "kentseafishingforum

i have now got members leaving my forum because of it....not happy.....jeff
myff admin

No one is happy about criminal malware.

All told about 100+ technician hours have gone into this, and I know it will have caused problems.

The good news is that it would seem to have been fully traced.

You'd have a job these days to find any large site that uses advertising that has not had incidents. Sites are up against professional criminal gangs doing this sort of thing.

So I'm very sorry for anyone effected, but remember it effects us rather more than you at the end of the day.
Frankonline

I posted that you had solved the problem, one of my members posted a" Thank you MYff post" then at 1003pm
Quote:

..erm then the very next topic I clicked on....I got another warning

for a Blackhole exploit thingy  

but AVG fielded it

myff have some more work to do.........................

So perhaps there is still a problem.
editor

Work has been ongoing. There is a concerted attack on systems.
jeff1960

still happening on my forum....dont know what to do about it...its only happening to some members though ?

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum