Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
lsg2007

making a webpage

ok where do i start,ive been asked if i could make up a webpage for our site like a front page before you access the forum.My problem is i could do with some help,ie if anyone knows of any easy tutorials around or easy software i can use to make one up.and how easy is it to make one up and add it to the myff system.
Myles

A popular website is http://www.w3schools.com/

Or your local library/school/college might have a book for html basics that you can borrow for free.

Of course there's thousands of websites that have tips and tricks so once you get a basic site built you can google your specific html/css requirements and you'll find someone's blog dealing with your request.
CodyT07

Myles wrote:
A popular website is http://www.w3schools.com/

Or your local library/school/college might have a book for html basics that you can borrow for free.

Of course there's thousands of websites that have tips and tricks so once you get a basic site built you can google your specific html/css requirements and you'll find someone's blog dealing with your request.

+1 on W3Schools

Just a warning on books, make sure they are up to date. HTML is constantly changing and the books could have to some outdated information.

Also with HTML you'll want to learn CSS too.
lsg2007

webpage de bug error

ok guys next problem,ive got myself a wysiwyg builder and ive put a site together,i exported it to html and copied the coding into the webpage editor in my admin panel.I saved it all ok and then hit the preview button on the edit webpage page and i get this debug error

General Error

Could not read template information.

DEBUG MODE

SELECT original,macros FROM phpbb1586_web_templates WHERE template='lees1'

Line : 252
File : viewpage.php

every template ive tryed to preview after ive saved it keeps showing this error code.im now getting to the point of jumping up and down on my laptop.

any ideas????
Myles

Check lines 251 and 252 in your viewpage.php file to see if it's missing something simple like a semi-colon.

Have you changed the filename to viewpage.php? Then change it back to whatever it was initially i.e. viewforum.php, viewtopic.php or viewonline.php

I've haven't come across viewpage.php in phpbb software, so if it's a file added from a mod/hack then reverse your edits for the mod/hack as it may not be compatible with the version of software you are using.

Perhaps your files need to be edited without DOM but the builder is editing with DOM.

Really you need to search/post this in the support forum from where you got the php software as someone may have posted the same problem and there might be a solution in the replies.

I recommend phpbb software though, as their support forum is excellent >> http://www.phpbb.com
Nick(NR)

Myles wrote:
Check lines 251 and 252 in your viewpage.php file to see if it's missing something simple like a semi-colon.

Have you changed the filename to viewpage.php? Then change it back to whatever it was initially i.e. viewforum.php, viewtopic.php or viewonline.php

I've haven't come across viewpage.php in phpbb software, so if it's a file added from a mod/hack then reverse your edits for the mod/hack as it may not be compatible with the version of software you are using.

Perhaps your files need to be edited without DOM but the builder is editing with DOM.

Really you need to search/post this in the support forum from where you got the php software as someone may have posted the same problem and there might be a solution in the replies.

I recommend phpbb software though, as their support forum is excellent >> http://www.phpbb.com

Forum owners don't have access to php files for security reasons.

Viewpage is there for handling webpages, when a template is used.

The phpbb guys wont be of any help as they will send people back to their hosts for such errors.
lsg2007

admin pointed me in the right direction

the answer to the problem was i was trying to upload just a html file and nothing else MYFF admin explained that the template needs to have a css file and a xtml file i think was the other, plus there was some macros that i need to take a look at when doing this.many thanks for all your help on this.My laptop is safe for one more week
Myles

Nick(NR) wrote:
Myles wrote:

Forum owners don't have access to php files for security reasons.

Viewpage is there for handling webpages, when a template is used.

The phpbb guys wont be of any help as they will send people back to their hosts for such errors.

Apologies, when the user said "i put a site together" i just assumed he was referring to a website he'd built himself as opposed to a myff forum. Also because of viewpage which i didn't know existed. My bad.
Nick(NR)

np

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum