Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Myles

Link threshold for Signatures and PM's - MODERATION

URL: http://footballitalia.myfastforum.org

Keywords: moderation, link threshold, block link

Question:
I would like to submit the following for consideration: to have thresholds for links in signatures and private messages to be included in the MODERATION portal.

Reason: i don't want to put new members off by not allowing them to use their signature nor PM feature, while at the same time i want to deter human spammers.
myff admin

There are such thresholds already in the portal
Myles

I tried the Link posting Threshold but that didn't block the links in the signature nor PM's.

The Signature Threshold and the Private message Threshold block the whole signature and completely prevent use of the PM feature, but i only wanted to block the links.

What's the name of the threshold for blocking links in sigs and PM's?

Sorry for not seeing this  
myff admin

blocking links in PMs cannot work properly.

h ttp://nastysite.com/

would just bypass the check etc.

We block links only where a "live" link is worth blocking.

In all honesty I think there are enough options there for this already. So many in fact that already you missed some of them!
Myles

I do appreciate that the MODERATION portal is available with it's current features, but i was just asking if some more features could be considered, i don't think i was demanding that the features be installed in fairness.

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
blocking links in PMs cannot work properly.

h ttp://nastysite.com/

would just bypass the check etc.

This could be said for the Link posting Threshold in posted messages aswel though i think, and it is deemed to merit inclusion as a feature, and i appreciate that feature so i'm not sure how it's different for PM's.

We block links only where a "live" link is worth blocking.

If a human spammer posts a link in their message and signature, the Link posting Threshold only blocks the link in the message but not the signature, so i'm not sure if i'm interpreting you incorrectly, but i think the link in the signature is worth blocking as much as it is if it is in the message, otherwise it negates the Link posting Threshold in posted messages in a lot of situations.

In all honesty I think there are enough options there for this already. So many in fact that already you missed some of them!

I asked for a link threshold in the signature and the PM's to be considered, which i don't see as being available in the portal so if they are there i have indeed missed them so you make a fair point, but can you point me to the name of those thresholds in the portal. If they aren't there then obviously i haven't missed them though!
myff admin

You are missing the point on links, a link that gets passed the filter is not going to be "live" link which is what spammers are after. Hence it applies well to posts, but is pointless on pms.
Myles

I think i am missing the point!    

1. Last night I set the Link posting Threshold to 3
  2. I registered with a new member username
  3. Posted a message with a link and the link was blocked
  4. I posted a message with signature enabled and the link was blocked in the message but the link was still displaying in the signature.
  5. Then i sent a PM with the link to my admin username and the link appeared in my admin PM inbox.

In summary, the "live" link appeared in the Signature and the PM.
myff admin

That's right.

As I see it the only issue there is that you can't selectively block links in sigs.  You have to block sigs in total.

As I have explained there is no point in blocking links in pms.

So there is one viable suggestion for a new option here, that of blocking links on sigs, and this is not one I find worth the extra complication of having another option.
Myles

In my opinion, if spammers use PM's and signatures to send or post their links respectively, it negates the blocking of links in the topic messages, and the main reason i would use the MODERATION portal would be to deter spammers, but i appreciate i'm probably in the minority with this opinion so there are no hard feelings  Wink

Just thought i'd ask anyway.
myff admin

Myles wrote:
In my opinion, if spammers use PM's and signatures to send or post their links respectively, it negates the blocking of links in the topic messages, and the main reason i would use the MODERATION portal would be to deter spammers, but i appreciate i'm probably in the minority with this opinion so there are no hard feelings  Wink

Just thought i'd ask anyway.

But blocking sending links, can't block the sending of them by PM, they can just trick the link checker.
Myles

Yeah true, but can't they trick the link checker when posting links in the topics aswel?
myff admin

Myles wrote:
Yeah true, but can't they trick the link checker when posting links in the topics aswel?

As I'm sire I have said they can't post live links which defeats the object of spammers who want real links in public places.
Myles

So the answer to my question is 'yes' !

I understand what you are saying, that spammers don't put links in their signature nor send PM's to other forum members enough to justify the feature of blocking the links.

That's fine, i understand and i get your point, i just disagree with you, and in my opinion it would be worthwhile, but as i said i'm probably in a minority so fair enough.
Myles

Would it be possible to have the Link posting Threshold also block the blocked link showing in Search, Topic Review and when the spammer is quoted, please?
myff admin

Again none of those things are visible to search engines, the purpose the the link block is not to stop people who are determined to see a link, it is to stop spammers benefiting. Remember a spammer can always beat a link blocker by posting a mistyped link.

http:// forum.myfreeforum.org

Beats the link blocker!
Myles

I know what you mean, thanks.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum