Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Klauwaart

Issuing warnings

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>>

http://kvoostende.myfreeforum.org

Please indicate keywords you have searched on: warning, warnings, warning user

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>
Hi,
this might be a stupid question, but how do I issue a warning to a user without banning him/her on my PHPBB 3 forum?

Thanks.
myff admin

There is no "warning" mechanism as such.

It my experience the PM system is how you warn people. Mechanising it is a cop out.
Bravo

In phpbb3 I believe there is a mechanism for warnings.

ACP, System tab, Module management, Moderator Control Panel, Warnings, Enable.

The warnings permissions need to be enabled for whatever group (eg moderator) that is issuing the warnings.

Can someone with a phpbb3 forum confirm this?
Klauwaart

Cannot find that in the place you mention, I'm afraid.
Nick(NR)

It's there in phpbb3, just more in depth.

To issue a warning.....
When logged in as the admin, just view the profile of the member you wish to warn, over on the right side of their profile, usually third down, should be how many warnings that person has received and a warn user link only on show to admins and mods with the permissions to see, you can then issue a warning from there.

To delete a warning after some time.....
Enter your admin panel and click the users and groups tab, once the page loads click the manage users link on the left, then find the member you wish to issue a warning to, then over on the right near the top, you should have a drop down box with the heading: Select form .... click that drop down and warnings should be third down
Klauwaart

Nick(NR) wrote:
It's there in phpbb3, just more in depth.

To issue a warning.....
When logged in as the admin, just view the profile of the member you wish to warn, over on the right side of their profile, usually third down, should be how many warnings that person has received and a warn user link only on show to admins and mods with the permissions to see, you can then issue a warning from there.

The amount of warnings is indeed there third down, but I cannot see the warning link, although I am logged in as admin, or should I set that feature somewhere in the ACP?
Nick(NR)

no, it should be next to the amount of warnings on their profile page, can't see where you'd enable it if it's already enabled, it is a module in the system tab of manage users, but you wont have access to that tab, so would need admin to check it's there.

Click to see full size image
Klauwaart

Thank you again,
however, although I am an admin, I do not hav any of those module management features in my system tab.

What now?
Nick(NR)

that's my own hosted forum, such bits here would be hazardous if available to some users, is why I did say admin will have to check for the module Wink
Klauwaart

So, in other words, when you say "admin", you mean sort of the "general admin", the admin of this forum here?
Bravo

He means the admin of MyFreeForum, and from the previous reply from him it looks like he hasn't enabled it.  Both myself and Nick have used phpbb3 forums and so we had seen this feature but of course if admin hasn't enabled it on the MFF system then that is that.  No doubt there is a potential security issue, he values forum security very highly, which is why we never see any of our forums hacked.

As admin stated earlier though, the actual value of a warning system is debateable, a 'catch-all' type system rarely works for individual cases.  Private messages and other moderation tools are very adequate to fulfil that role.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum