Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Is there any interest in a URL shortener?

http://twitter.com/myfreef

As you can see we have implemented one for Twitter.

It seems daft not to be making it accessible for other purposes?

Feedback and suggestions are needed!
GentleD

What other purposes? You mean like for Facebook and MySpace? Because I would be interested in that.

Kat
myff admin

well I'm the one asking.

Normally when posting links you would want to use not a shorter link that does not even actually link to your forum, but a longer link like:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/Is_t..._a_URL_shortener__about19087.html

As the long link is much more effective for SEO purposes.

It seems to me though that you may be asking about a FACEBOOKFEED like we have the TWITTERFEED?
GentleD

Yes, that is what I was asking about. Sorry, got my signals crossed.

Kat
daSchoof

On other sites where link shorteners are used I sometimes (rarely, but it happens) have trouble getting links to work. It mostly happens when the ling is really long, for some reason sometimes it seams to loose the path.

Now I don't know if it is because those were not well implemented or a general fault with link shorteners but I would rather have long links that always work then shorter ones that work 98% of the time. If it were to work well all the time then I would have to say yes, that would be nice.
myff admin

GentleD wrote:
Yes, that is what I was asking about. Sorry, got my signals crossed.

Kat

Notwithstanding the fact that facebook presents technical issues anyway, what do you actually mean by a facebook feed. I asked the same question when the twitterfeed was asked for and did not get an answer But at least with twitter the options were very limited.
GentleD

Okay, hopefully I can explain what I mean, I will try anyway. On my art site, I have one section where I post new art work every couple of days or so. Than I have to go on my Facebook wall and post that I posted new artwork with a link to it. It would be very helpful if it automatically posted a link on my facebook wall when I posted new artwork. Not sure how that would be done but it would be useful. Not a real big deal though.

Kat
myff admin

So do you post the new art work as a topic on the forum or what?

The devil is in the details.
Zudane

Facebook has a whole group of features.. but I think automatic posting isn't included.  They do have one major thing of a 'like' button, that could possibly be added, which would quickly share the page for any user's facebook.
GentleD

myff admin wrote:
So do you post the new art work as a topic on the forum or what?

The devil is in the details.

Yes, I do. Like for instance, here Kat's logos

Kat
GentleD

Come to think of it, sometimes I post them as a reply to a topic also. Hope that helps.

Kat
myff admin

I think to be honest you are illustrating that some things are better manual some better automated....

reminds me of a recent screw up here, I changed a password using a system that "helpfully" decided to  change any passwords it thought were related....   immense problems then occurred.... just because things usually are done together is not always good enough reason to hard code an action.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum