Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Stresshead

Inactive member being able to post

http://thefamilyforum.myfastforum.org/index.php

This might sound complicated (It is to me)  but I will try and explain -

I have set my forum up so you must register to be able to access topics and post on the forum that I have set up. However today there is a member which is posting in a section but they are classed as an inactive member and when I click on their username and go administrate user they have no registered email address - when I also go to the ACP and look on the opening page it states that they are inactive and states the reason why as unknown. This members username is on the front page of the forum as a new member but when I go through the members list they are not it.

Can someone explain how an inactive member with no email address can register to the forum without a email address - I myself have tried several times and can't it always states that I must have a email address to register.
I have had a few trolls issues.
Please note this is not a guest posting.

Thank you
myff admin

An inactive member is/was one who has not been posting/visiting, totally different to an unactivated member who cannot post.
Stresshead

They have posted a number of times and been on and off the forum for most of this evening but they are still classed as an inactive member.

Also how can they register without an email address.

How would you define an "inactive member"?
Stresshead

All my other inactive members have registered with an email address as required and have never posted and on the opening page of the administration control panel it states that reason why inactive as - newly registered account - where the member I am questioning you about it states reason for been inactive as unknown.
myff admin

It may simply be a phpbb3 bug.
Stresshead

Is it possible to rectify the problem?
myff admin

As you say you have tried yourself and can't repeat the issue, so if the member is a problem then deactivate them.

If this is a bug then a new phbbb3 release may fix it. On the other hand you may be missing something in your understanding of the issue, the phpbb3 permissions system is pretty complex  
Stresshead

Right - I deactived the member who has now re-joined and the same has happened again.

Myself and the rest of my admin team have all created new accounts and they have required email address's and state in ACP that the accounts we created are inactive and it states the reason why as newly registered accounts but when this other problemed member keeps registering it states reason for been inactive as unknown - the account is classed as inactive but they are still able to access the boards.

Is it possible that the member it's self could be responsible for getting past the registration  requirements?
Stresshead

Another thing that I should mention is that everytime this member joins it states in the ACP  the inactive date as 01Jan 1970 01:00am.
myff admin

I have no idea frankly, it is going to something weird you have done with permissions or a bug in phpBB3.

We have not altered any code in phpbb3 in these areas, so you may want to ask on the official phpBB3 support forums.

There may be relevant detail you have not given us? e..g what is the username and what are they posting?
I'm_Hackin'_Bored!

Let me step in with an idea.

This may not be the case at all but is something to think about... Ive had member's join my forum and when they get an e-mail sent to them they don't read it and click the link that de-activates there account rather than activating it. They should get a message saying they are removed though. I had a user contact me saying "why can't I post", "I signed up and activated but it said i have no e-mail and I am removed!?"

I found the user simply clicked the wrong link and didn't care to read what it said.

NOTE: This might not be your specific problem but it just sounds like some sort of user error on someone's part.  Wink
Zudane

I'm_Hackin'_Bored! wrote:
Let me step in with an idea.

This may not be the case at all but is something to think about... Ive had member's join my forum and when they get an e-mail sent to them they don't read it and click the link that de-activates there account rather than activating it. They should get a message saying they are removed though. I had a user contact me saying "why can't I post", "I signed up and activated but it said i have no e-mail and I am removed!?"

I found the user simply clicked the wrong link and didn't care to read what it said.

NOTE: This might not be your specific problem but it just sounds like some sort of user error on someone's part.  Wink

That's the same idea I had... It does put an unknown reason for removing the account.  But I don't know if there's a bug with deactivating an inactive account...

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum