Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
dom.1994

Ideas for a popular forum

Im  looking to make a new forum that will hopefull become popular if i work at it

I need some inspiration or an idea of a topic to base the forum ona s i dont want to do a generall chat forum.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks alot.
while()

Honestly, don't. Making a forum for the sake of having a popular forum will not work, unless you're truly passionate about the idea behind it you won't get anywhere, you also need to be willing to ride through rough patches. If you can find a forum that was made for the sake of being popular and is popular I'll give you $1.
Daniel(u1bd2005)

while() wrote:
Honestly, don't. Making a forum for the sake of having a popular forum will not work, unless you're truly passionate about the idea behind it you won't get anywhere, you also need to be willing to ride through rough patches. If you can find a forum that was made for the sake of being popular and is popular I'll give you $1.

I'll agree 100% with this post.

The first forum I created had a strong point as to why I created it, it ended up being a decent sized quite active forum (about 18,000 posts and over 150 members.)

That forum died and lost activity because of the game it was based about going offline.

I've tried numerous times to create a forum because I want to be the owner of a successful forum again, but i just didn't have the same feeling about any of them as I did about my first one, so they quickly died.

I'm sure admin here will agree that i've posted quite a lot of forums in the "post your forum" section, none of which have been successful other than my first one.

I know I will run another successful forum one day, i really miss it (be-ing co-admin and moderator on other forums just doesn't feel the same). but I'm holding off for now until I wake up one day and have an idea I feel strongly about that I know I will work hard at making work.

To name a few of the forums which I have tried to make but have failed because I just didn't feel very strongly or bothered about the basis of them or wether or not they would actually work: Ebay Forum, Youtube Forum, Music Forum, Avril Lavigne Forum, Football Forum, Sports Forum, Games Forum, Programming Forum, Computer Forum, NUFC Forum, and many more.
Zudane

That's the basic idea... you need to be passionate about the topic for it to be popular.

I'm sure there is a popular forum for the sake of being popular... but I'm sure it either had another driving force... or the creator was passionate about being popular...  Though I'm also pretty sure that 99% of these forums fail.... (But everything is possible)
Gosu71

I think doing a forum for a forum's sake is the wrong way to go about it.

There are hundreds of thousands of forums out there and only so many people to use them.

Look towards making a 'niche' forum is my advice
Full Tilt Boogie

Gosu71 wrote:
I think doing a forum for a forum's sake is the wrong way to go about it.

There are hundreds of thousands of forums out there and only so many people to use them.

Look towards making a 'niche' forum is my advice

Agreed.

dom.1994, think about your favourite hobby or a topic/subject about which you have a burning passion and deep interest.

If you can decide what that [topic] is, then you've just made the first step on the ladder to building a website/forum to which you can devote time and effort - both of which you will need to devote in equal measure if it is to be a success as, contrary to the Wayne's World "Build it and they will come" myth, if you don't put a goodly amount of time into your site - ESPECIALLY ITS CONTENT - then interest in it will peter out and eventually it will fail.

Caveat: IF, however, the topic you choose is one which others have already taken as a core theme and run with, and made a success of it, then you may be up against stiff competition in terms of attracting members, so bear that in mind.

The KEY aspect to growing ANY forum is this: "Why should people join here? What have I got which they won't get on other forums? What's unique about this place?"

If you can answer these, and provably so, and not just as a matter of opinion, then you stand a chance.

But like the advice above, if you're just gonna start some no-point "because I fancied it for a doss one weekend when I was bored" forum, it will fail as completely, as surely and as spectacularly as all Jonathan Ross's attempts at being funny.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum