Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
Michael Crane

Icon not showing

http://hisaronutheforum.myfastforum.org/index.php

When I put in icon_cry.gif it comes out as " alt="" border="0" />  

Why is that?
myff admin

You need to explain more fully.
Michael Crane

The code: icon_cry.gif should be a smilie crying - but instead of the icon I get the text:  " alt="" border="0" />

I have deleted it and reloaded it, but to no avail.
myff admin

You can't have icon_cry.gif in isolation, there must be the characters used to define it as a smiley for starters.

You also have not followed the posting check list, where we ask for a link to where we can see the issue.
Michael Crane

It isn't in isolation. For example I am now going to post a smiley face:    and you now see a smiley face - but when I post the crying smiley it doesn't show the crying face but the text, " alt="" border="0" />

I don't know if you can see this, http://hisaronutheforum.myfastforum.org/sutra2038.php#2038 but it's a post that demonstrates my problem.
myff admin

The link is not guest viewable and you have yet to give fill details on the smilie. e.g. what type characters and anything else set for that smilie.
Michael Crane

Here's a link you can view: http://hisaronutheforum.myfastforum.org/sutra385.php#385

The icon is phpbb/icon_cry.gif

So far as I am aware it's the only one not showing correctly.
myff admin

myff admin wrote:
you have yet to give fill details on the smilie. e.g. what type characters and anything else set for that smilie.
Michael Crane

Where do I find that out?
myff admin

In the smiley admin. where the icon is listed it gives the code etc.
Michael Crane

I have already sent this:

Or is there something I am missing?
myff admin

You had not sent that that I can see, and it shows the problem.

Rather than a Smiley code like for the smiley you have "icon_cry.gif"
Michael Crane

But loads of them are the same . . .

. . . and they all work!      
myff admin

Just because it works some of the time does not make it right, smileys work by substitution, replace a word with something containing the same word, and I bet there is duplication in the list somewhere and you end up with double substitutions going on messing with the html.
Michael Crane

Life is too short and I won't take up any more of your time on this issue . . . .  I have deleted the bugger!

Thanks for being so patient.
Zudane

The code for smilies should be things like although the icon is named icon_lol.gif
Nick(NR)

Michael Crane wrote:

the "Smiley Code" text area is what you want to be adding something to, so in there for that sad face smiley you'd have something like: :'(
so when it gets clicked when a post is being made, it will show the smiley when the post is submitted, with that being in the name of the image it will break and the forum wont know which smiley to show.
Michael Crane

Now I am further confused. According the the image I posted in THIS POST, on Page 1, the code for this smiley is icon_cry.gif!

I am wondering if this is worth pursuing, although I must admit, it does seem complicated where the 'code' is concerned and some clarity would be useful.

But, if you're bored by this topic (and me), I won't be offended if you decide it's gone on long enough.  Wink
GentleD

Nick(NR) wrote:
Michael Crane wrote:

the "Smiley Code" text area is what you want to be adding something to, so in there for that sad face smiley you'd have something like: :'(
so when it gets clicked when a post is being made, it will show the smiley when the post is submitted, with that being in the name of the image it will break and the forum wont know which smiley to show.

All Nick is trying to say is that there is a conflict somewhere. So this is what you need to do.

Delete the Smiley Code that is in there now for that smiley and replace it with :'(

And hit submit.

Done, easy as pie. Than it should work fine for you. Leave the other smilies alone, since you are not having problems with them.

Hope that helps,

Kat
Nick(NR)

hopefully showing you what I have setup, will help you understand what I'm saying better

Zudane

the image CODE is what you type, that the forum replaces with the image FILE NAME.  the CODE is NOT the FILE NAME.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum