Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
bazfalty

HTML Books

PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>> http://onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>  can anyone recommend any good books for newbies hoping to learn some html.
symon

Re: HTML Books

bazfalty wrote:
PLEASE ENTER THE FOLLOWING>>>> http://onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org

Enter your myff forum url here, if the issue is on a particular part of the forum, then give a link to where the problem actually is. Do not enter your own domain name it must be the actual myff link :

If you are asking a template related question, what is the name of the template:

Please indicate keywords you have searched on:

Now ask your question in clear English without "txt" speak>>>>  can anyone recommend any good books for newbies hoping to learn some html.

HTML complete is the book i read many moons ago
Nick(NR)

I have a few books, but to be completely honest, they don't add as much as you'd like to think when it comes to html, tables and div structure and styling.

There are plenty of guides scattered all over the net, you just have to know the term so searching for it is easier. you could enter html padding into google and get millions of results, but to reduce the ammount of css, you could search for html padding shorthand and you'd only be in the hundred thousands, giving a better chance of a more accurate result.

Here's a table structure rundown for those who want to know:

Code:
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%" align="center">

The tables opening line, if using css for styling always keep border set to 0, cell padding is handy if you want a slight gap between the content and the edge of the cell holding the text, cellspacing is the gap created between each table cell and width well you should all know that one, allows you to set how wide the table shows on your page and lastly you got align where you can have it left, right or center.

Code:
<tr>

and it's closing brother:
Code:
</tr>

These two badboys are what allows you to have multiple rows.

Contained within the tr's you have:
Code:
<td>

and it's closing brother:
Code:
</td>

these are the table cells I refer to, you can have as many td cells on a row as you want bearing in mind the width, with the content of the cell between to opening td and closing td.

to extend on the td's if you have three on one row, but choose to only have one on the next  you'd need to add colspan in there somewhere, to tell that lonely cell to extend across the missing two from the above line otherwise you'll break the tables structure. so you'd have a td line like so:
Code:
<td colspan="3">Hello</td>

Here's a basic table and I'll include the colspan for show:
Code:
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="70%" align="center">
<tr>
<td>Hello</td><td>My</td><td>Friend</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</table>

I've added a border here to show the above tables cell structure:

HelloMyFriend
Hello

There is one last thing, in some templates you'll see a few th's, you need not worry about those their essentialy the same as td's, with the only difference is that the th's are intended for use as table row headers, example below:
Code:
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="70%" align="center">
<tr>
<th colspan="3" align="center">Welcome to my world</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Hello</td><td>My</td><td>Friend</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</table>

I've added a border here to show the above tables cell structure, you can also see from the code I've not told the table cell to bold the th's content, it's done that by default, as that's the point of the th being for the header lines:

Welcome to my world
HelloMyFriend
Hello
bazfalty

Thanks for the help.
Laramie

I know this is a pretty old topic but I thought I'd post the link to this site (in case anybody else stumbles across this thread):
www.pagetutor.com

I found it very helpful I think you can get a book from there too. Very helpful for complete n00bs like me.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Web page/template Editing
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum