Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
myff admin

Help me out here!

At the moment on phpbb2/3 it is a pain in the neck if you have previously registered on a forum, but can't recall your username.

The lost password system requires you to know both username and email address.

So class project... discuss the implication of the alternatives!
symon

Why not have the choice

Lost your password enter either data

Username

Email

Then the system will match a username to the email and vs versa and send an email to that address reminding them what their username is and also sending a temp password.
danm97

You need help in coding this or you want to discuss what the best solution would be ??
myff admin

Now I will shoot that one down, as if you can just enter the username, then you can easily just be a pain in the neck to people, messing up their passwords in 5 seconds flat.

A temp password change absolutely has to mean they know the minimum of the email address, what I was thinking was that if they just enter the email address they get a username reminder and not a password change.
myff admin

danm97 wrote:
You need help in coding this or you want to discuss what the best solution would be ??

coding will take 30 seconds for one of the options....
symon

myff admin wrote:
Now I will shoot that one down, as if you can just enter the username, then you can easily just be a pain in the neck to people, messing up their passwords in 5 seconds flat.

A temp password change absolutely has to mean they know the minimum of the email address, what I was thinking was that if they just enter the email address they get a username reminder and not a password change.

On the same lines but agreed with temp password
Bravo

either or, but I do feel that the email must still remain private.

Eg

username: anynam01

The new password has been emailed to 'something@somewhere.com'

Would lead to abusing the system to gain email addresses just by knowing the username of someone.

If someone has forgotten their username AND email then they'll just have to register a new account.
danm97

A temp password would good and better if we could have the edit profile link in the email they get
Bravo

missed the shootdown while typing lol
danm97

Bravo wrote:
missed the shootdown while typing lol

Slow :P  
Bravo

Click here if you've forgotten your username

< search by IP address >

Your IP matches the username: anynam01

Maybe that would only work for stable IP's of course but it would catch some?
danm97

Bravo wrote:

< search by IP address >

Dont think that would work properly... I got families registered on my site which mean multiple users with the same IP.
myff admin

I'm going for the simple if you enter a valid email you will get sent the username, if you enter both you get a password reset.

That fits with existing templates, and I think covers the bases safely.
Bravo

danm97 wrote:
Bravo wrote:

< search by IP address >

Dont think that would work properly... I got families registered on my site which mean multiple users with the same IP.

Then

Your ip matches the usernames:

Only an 's' extra
danm97

Bravo wrote:
danm97 wrote:
Bravo wrote:

< search by IP address >

Then

Your ip matches the usernames:

Only an 's' extra

Ok if all usernames are showed there then this option would work.
judy

I get emails from members who've forgotten both their username and password  
Zudane

I think the best thing is similar to what Admin already said.. (Sorry, missed this before).

But I've seen on some sites, what I think is best... that you can only recover one at a time.  Which is put in the e-mail if you forgot the username, and if you forgot the password need the username at least.  Could be bad though if the e-mail is no longer active.  Any way to avoid needing both?

Similar example was with paypal recently, haven't used it in a while, and couldn't get password to work (forgotten what I had changed it to), and to recover it they needed verification via credit card # - and this was for a bank card that was destroyed 3 months ago.  Thankfully I remembered the password change later, but without that I would have needed much longer to get it recovered.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> What's new? Announcements!
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum