Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
scaredycat

help!! how do I make my forum private?

I don't want my forum to be viewable by anyone who does not log in.

please could you tell me (in really simple terms, and step by step if possible) how to do this?

thank you
Zudane

Depends, do you have phpbb2 or phpbb3?

Most likely in either one, just set the permissions for guests to no access.
scaredycat

where can I see that?
Zudane

Well, if you have phpbb3 the bottom should say "Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group"

if you have phpbb2 it should say " Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group"

Either way, there should be a guide in the howtodoit that will describe setting permissions
scaredycat

thanks, I think I've done it -

I went to my admin control panel

clicked on permissions (under the 'forum' topic)

went to advanced, and changed all the settings to "reg" which I guess is 'registered users only'

does that sound right?
Zudane

Sounds right, I'd say to test it though, either logout, or go under "users" and select the "choose anonymous user" box, and then hit submit, then "test users permissions"
dids

TOTAL PRIVACY

HI  I RUN A VERY SMALL FORUM.....22 MEMBERS ONLY........YOU CANNOT READ ANY THREADS IN MY FORUM UNLESS YOU ARE A MEMBER AND LOG IN  .......BUT  HOW CAN I STOP OUTSIDER FROM JUST GETTING THE FORUM ADDY   AND LOGGING IN TO JOIN UP?

tHANKS
myff admin

Setting a forum to "private" in the control panel:

http://myfreeforum.org/index.php?...amp;task=loginforum&Itemid=27

stops us publishing the address, setting registration to Admin in admin/configure lets you stop people who join being activated unless you approve them.
dids

I am sorry to have to ask again  but  I cant find in "admin configuration"  where you can set "joining" by getting admins permission................

also I cant get in the link you provided as it wont accept my forum name   for some strange reason...........is that because I went private? or because the link is MYFREEFORUM  and i am a fineforum?

sorry
myff admin

Yes use myfineforum

As to the other question, you have not even told us whether you are on phpbb2 or phpbb3.

in phpbb2 look for "Enable account activation"
dids

THANKYOU SO MUCH.....................all sorted  now

I am a likkle disabled nanny  and I struggle in t'internet..............so your help has been invaluable

xxx

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Running your community
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum