Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
GSB

Forum slow/intermittent not responding

http://audisrs.myfastforum.org

We are on Wonko (I think).

We are finding that the forum is running slow at some times during the day. It varies but around midday in particular. Searching for new posts can see the page stop responding for a long time (10-20 seconds and long enough for some to give up).

The users are starting to notice the drop in performance. Various browsers in use, no apparent pattern.
myff admin

Will take a look.

You might want to consider a purge of very old posts. It is simply a fact of life that very large forums start to get slower.
GSB

Search for new posts demonstrates the problem for me currently.

Does anything look to be a problem?

Is there any database or search index maintenance we can do other than purging?
myff admin

I'm still looking, but really this is a function of size, you have a lot of posts, a lot of member and a lot of forums.

I am planning a migration that will help significantly, but that is a few months away at the moment, and it still won't beat the laws of physics that with a lot of data speed will suffer.
GSB

We aim to grow and there are forums 10x the size performing well on other platforms. If we need to review the platform we are on then of course we will. So we take your guidance about the size and performance with interest and certainly value your guidance.

That said, to my logic our scale is not the issue. This is not a continual across the board slowing of performance. This is performance OK one minute then not another.

At the moment a new posts search is very slow. Last night it was OK and later on I am sure it will be too.

Graham
myff admin

there is going to be a major platform overhaul in the next few months to change from mysql to MariaDB.
GSB

myff admin wrote:
there is going to be a major platform overhaul in the next few months to change from mysql to MariaDB.

Hi,

Is there a better ETA on this at all?

We still have significant problems which we need to address before it further impacts our audience.

Our problems are still forum performance issues, often most notable when searching. Various times of the day. When it is working well it is fine, but at random times the forum just freezes due to the slow performance and searching can be impossible.

I personally also find IE11 gives up responding, only with our forum. The performance issues are experienced on various browsers across all sorts of platforms.

We reviewed Php 3 (as we are considering a migration for other reasons), but do not think that looks like a solution to our issues.

Downsizing the forum is not an option, we aim to grow and need to the right platform for now and the future.

Any assistance or advice you can offer would be much appreciated. For example do you think the forum as it is would perform well on an appropriate host or is there a deeper issue? Can you provide an alternate hosting option? PM or email if you prefer.

Regards
Graham
myff admin

It's still pending, new gear is in place in a new datacenter, but still not live, making it hard for me to give an ETA.

Whilst the new system will boost performance, it is still the base that size will always be a factor.
GSB

myff admin wrote:
It's still pending, new gear is in place in a new datacenter, but still not live, making it hard for me to give an ETA.

Whilst the new system will boost performance, it is still the base that size will always be a factor.

There are forums plenty larger than us though surely (we are small fry compared to some)?

Also if it were consistently slow I could follow that logic, but how is the size affecting the performance so randomly?

Size cannot be a limitation for us, we are growing and plan to continue to. Is there anything else you can suggest?

We have to solve this issue, whatever that takes and we are grateful for any input as to how.
GSB

Can you think of any good examples of forums that have outgrown myff and migrated elsewhere?

If you could name one or two, I would like to reach out to them to see if they can share their experiences and recommendations.
GSB

What is confusing is other than isolated problems,  the issue has not been progressive. The recent issue is exactly that, a fairly sudden degredation of performance. Our concurrent connections, volume of posts, db size etc hasn't had any such drastic change to suggest that is the cause.

This Google Analytics graph of the average page load time over a year is a pretty good illustration of the issue:

Why the recent go slow? Are you sure this is not something within your control as it seems very odd how it has suddenly occurred like this. Our size just does not seem to fit as the cause look at this.

It would be much appreciated if you could take a look or double check whatever you can please.
myff admin

I have been inspecting the server and on average it is not very loaded at all.
The nature of databases is that they reach tipping points on size where they cease to operate fully in memory, but do things like create temporary tables.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB2 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum