Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
oldticktock

Forum running slow

http://vintagetvandradio.myfreeforum.org/index.php

" forum running slow"

Members of my forum have reported it is running very slow, I too have noticed an increased lag today but is does seem to be intermittent . Is there a system wide issue or maintenance running,

I appreciate user perception of speed is a relative issue, however being mostly engineers they are not the sort to raise an issue unless there is one.

I cannot see there is anything I can do to resolve this from the admin perspective, that may be incorrect and any input would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
Chris
myff admin

running I'd say very fast when I try.
oldticktock

Well the issue is daily now, it seems to be like treading treacle at times and others its OK.

Yesterday I was getting SQl too many connections and members were getting logged out etc.

The same slow response is happening today but it is intermittent, even connecting to this support forum seems to be intermittently affected too.

However its would seem nobody else is reporting anything in your support areas so I'm very confused. It is however not a figment of my or many others imaginations.

As it is intermittently occurring it is going to be difficult to see what is occurring but as I say it is daily. Latest slow event on my forum today was @ 13:25, its running fine now. Editing this post was painful too, a second edit latter was fine.

All other internet sites are fine

Chris
myff admin

We need to catch the issue as it is happening.
oldticktock

Therein lies the problem.

All I can do is report times when it is happening and then maybe some sort of sys-log correlation can take place. At least it does occur frequently even if intermittent.

Chris

Edit:

Even this support forum seems to be rocketing along now, whereas earlier it was very sluggish.
bazfalty

our has been running very slow all day

http://www.onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org
Bravo

bazfalty wrote:
our has been running very slow all day

http://www.onlyoldskool.myfastforum.org

Your landing page doesn't load at all for me.  The forum will be running fine, but your landing page seems to link to mediafire?
I only know it's a landing page by viewing the source and the 'click here to enter'. So it looks like there is a problem there, as nobody else seems to be reporting speed issues today which you would expect if there were problems with one of the servers.
bazfalty

99% of the members dont use it they just go straight to the forum index page, would going through the members deleting inactive ones slow it down at all
Bravo

bazfalty wrote:
would going through the members deleting inactive ones slow it down at all

Can't see that making any difference.

The only reasons I could see for a slow down would be:

1. A problem with the server your forum is on. Already discounted due to no other reports.
2. A slow loadin advert got through the safety net, these things can be regionally targeteed so more likely if your membership was from the same area, or at least those reporting problems.  Remains a possibility.
3. Internet problems, not that likely but adverse weather conditions could have such an effect.
4. User's code causing problems. MFF allows a good degree of user customisation, but sometimes less experienced users can create their own problems. Not saying this is the case, just saying it is a possibility.

Sometimes it's a case of finding the common denominator and then therein lies the answer.
ratty

and mine  

http://yamahaxjrclub.myfreeforum.org/index.php

problem seems to come and go, whilst logged on here this forum also seems slow at times?
myff admin

There is planned work that should speed up this forum and others on the same server.
Can't give a clear time scale right now.

We have had some instances of massive spam attacks that have slowed things down sporadically as well
oldticktock

Just to let you know mine is running so slow for the last couple of days, painful to use today to be honest. This support forum seems to suffer on occasion too. Look forward to a solution.

Regards
Chris
ratty

all seems okay now

wunderbar

danke
myff admin

We are seeing some internet funnies today.
oldticktock

Sorry to bring this up again but over the last 3 days my forum has encountered further performance degradation. It seems to be in fits and spurts, up to 30 secs from clicking on a link to it returning the results.

Other times it is fast but certainly the community have all noted that using the forum is not what it once was. I've had many cases of triple posts where the members have not been sure if the submit had been taken or not. I've even seen a reduction in membership activity and when inquired told that the forum was too slow and frustrating to use so they were leaving it a day or two.

When the performance has been dire I have checked this forum which at the time also seem sluggish, but nobody else seems to have reported any degradation.

Not sure if it is related but I'm also getting 200+ a day registrations from spammers. They don't get activated as I have approve by admin only. I just run them all through stop spam checks the delete but it made me wonder if the main servers are getting attention from the spam community thereby performance gets degraded?

What do I know, anyway just though it best to raise the flag on this one again. Typically a the time of writing this the performance seems to be acceptable, half an hour ago it was appalling.

By the way did the planned maintenance you talked about above occur?

Regards
Chris
oldticktock

Update if it helps 08:00

Extreme slow response happens again, and this support forum too.
myff admin

I am seeing erratic performance.
THis is due  think to a rogue backup process, which has just been killed.

In principle your forum should be faster as maintenance has taken place making the forum load be shared between three servers.
Frankonline

Its slow in my forum and here right now.
Frankonline

And still is slow. Is there any expected resoloution to this ?
Frankonline

In fact when I made the last post it took quite a while to respond before it posted.
editor

Trying to figure out what the issue may be.
ratty

very slow again on mine, intermittently this week, only a small forum but also when i am logged onto this one, okay one minute then slow again for a long time?
myff admin

Still trying to trace this, it is probably down to spam attacks.
myff admin

I think I have found and mostly resolved a firewall bug, that firstly was stopping new ip bans working on the new system, but also may have been stopping the re-issue of temporary bans to the same Ips.
Frankonline

Well it sems ok now thanks.
myff admin

It's a sad state of affairs when running a forum is more about protecting things from a continual attack by spammers that is in effect a  DDOS attack, that it is about anything else.
oldticktock

Today performance has been intermittent , bordering on poor to abysmal, posting has been tortuous.

A few SQL connections errors thrown in too for good measure too. I gave up trying to post and left it an hour or so, when I came back it was fine, now? It's back in the treacle.

MY members are starting to give me grief about moving the forum as this has been an feature more often than not, since Dec 2012

Edit: took ages to post this too
myff admin

Need to catch things when they happen.
myff admin

I am thinking this may be a physical server being overloaded and I'm looking into possibilities.
oldticktock

well it's running awful now as is this support forum.
myff admin

I am seeing things as slightly slow.

tomorrow we will get some load off the physical and see if that helps.

30 more physicals are being delivered in just over a week.
myff admin

load balancing on course for today.
myff admin

hmm, spoke to late   the core of this was done at 11.30 and a lot of stats now look better, not that they were on the whole looking that bad,but that can be symptomatic of a virtual server on an overloaded physical.

Current score is 31 more physicals being delivery early May, with the possibility that we will in June order a much larger number   31 does not leave much change out of 200,000 so the next set of numbers will be mind boggling.

We will have more than quad-roupled server numbers in the last year, but for all that we have struggled to keep up with growth, often it is not a case of server power not being there, it is that even with sys-admin staff creeping into the double figures, a failure to keep up with everything that needs doing.

It has been two years of 4x to 5x growth per year taking the company that myself and the forums are now part of from under ten people to over 50 with a load of staff vacancies   I don't know how to convey what a frenetic pace that is? and how hard it is at times to be fully on top of everything, but please accept my apologies for when things do slip a bit.
myff admin

What has also occurred to me is that the efforts made a few weeks ago that took a useful chunk of work away from this server, speeding up access by dealing with the static load of images via "proxies" would have had only minimal effect. The problem was that the rest of the load on the physical server is/was load balanced and given a general excess of load removed forum load would have tendency to cause everything else to grab a bit more load restoring the status quo.
myff admin

experiencing some issues right now, but that is due to a cleanup process.
myff admin

On further analysis, I think there is a simple truth that this server has a bit too much on it, and simply ramping does not work as mysql does not scale that well.

It has actually been ages since we load balanced, and a degree of "bitrot" has set in, but in the next day or three I will start moving some forums away and that will ease issues.
myff admin

Some transfers now taking place.
myff admin

Only a very few done, but it is best that this starts off slowly.

Technically this process dates back to when forums were on totally different servers with no internal networking, and with no firewall/proxying systems between them and the outside world.

Some of the code to move forums had not been updated to our current networking topology.
oldticktock

I for one would like to express my thanks for all the efforts you and your team have exerted to ensure these issues are being addressed.

Having worked in IT for 30 years myself, I know all too well the issues you face, that people are ready to raise faults but less ready to offer thanks for the effort involved to resolve them.

On the plus side, although these issues are an irritation your continued growth is a mark of you doing something right, so a big thumbs up to you all and long may the success continue.

Regards
Chris
myff admin

Today we have addressed the problems on Jeltz which was down to a rogue phpbb3 forum, this was not spotted because a script used to check such things was not running for the domain concerned somehow or other it got disabled a couple of months back.

The process of transferring forums from hotblack to Jeltz which in normal conditions is lightly loaded is ongoing.

But what with the other improvements to hotblack this is not an urgent process.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum