Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
spongebobsa

Forum Database Export

Hi There  MFF,

Just a quick question, I have paid for a database export (http://renaultsport.myfastforum.org/)

What would the process be from hereon and what are the time frames  

Thanks a million!
myff admin

We can send an export to the forum owner pretty much whenever and how often you ask.
The forum goes offline for each export briefly.
spongebobsa

myff admin wrote:
We can send an export to the forum owner pretty much whenever and how often you ask.
The forum goes offline for each export briefly.

Thanks for the reply.
I cant seem to PM you in order to continue the convo offline.

We are a little uncertain who the current registered owner is as the founding committee has all stepped down, we have paid for the export and are uncertain where to collect the export.
myff admin

in the absence of the forum owner we will need to see a thread on your forum demonstrating the situation.
Haydn

I am the current admin on the forum. could we not use my account?
Haydn

Please see:

http://renaultsport.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29707

Its a hidden section for admins and mods only.
myff admin

I'm sorry but this is in effect a change of ownership, unless authorised by the owner owner our protocol is that that is a public decision where we need to see that there is general member approval.
spongebobsa

myff admin wrote:
I'm sorry but this is in effect a change of ownership, unless authorised by the owner owner our protocol is that that is a public decision where we need to see that there is general member approval.

Im sorry but this makes absolutely no sense...
The forum belongs soley to the committee of founding members, we provide a forum to our members as an added value, ultimately the technical decisions are not determined by the members but that of the owners.
The old owner has relocated to a different country and we cannot establish communication with him, what are we expected to do?
None of these details are disclosed when physically purchasing the export, now are unable to preform the export with very valid reasons and you have already been paid for the export...
myff admin

I can refund the export, use the search on the forum and you will see this is standard protocol, if your members affirm that the current admins should take over ownership it can quickly be sorted.
an export in particular contains privacy invading   information so as I say needs to follow the change of ownership system.
Haydn

We have over 1000 registered members on our forum of which only about 200 are active participating members. How do you suggest we get general consent from the over 1000 members?
Haydn

I have also been paying for the ad free service every year. Does that not show some ownership?
myff admin

no one has said this needs to be a poll, just a public airing that this is happening.

this has happened smoothly many times with forums with absent owners.
Bravo

Basically, to do the export, you need to establish ownership. The owner cannot be a committee but one person.

So, to establish ownership with respect to an absent owner, you need to do the following:

1. Make a thread that is publicly viewable explaining the situation, and who wants to take ownership of the forum.  Within the thread you must add a link to a similar thread on this forum also. Both threads must contain a link to the other thread.

2. Your members will then post approval or disapproval of the proposed change.

3. Once Admin is satisfied that enough time has passed, which is an indeterminate amount of time (mischievous people could wait until an admin has gone on a 2 week holiday and attempt to wrench their forum from them so we have to be careful).

Once Admin is satisfied that all is in order, then the change of ownership can proceed. The new owner will then have access to the forum's control panel.
Haydn

myff admin wrote:
no one has said this needs to be a poll, just a public airing that this is happening.

this has happened smoothly many times with forums with absent owners.

This makes no sense, if all you want is a public airing what stops any of our admins or mods on our forum claiming ownership and exporting our database. There is no security in that.
Haydn

Bravo wrote:
Basically, to do the export, you need to establish ownership. The owner cannot be a committee but one person.

So, to establish ownership with respect to an absent owner, you need to do the following:

1. Make a thread that is publicly viewable explaining the situation, and who wants to take ownership of the forum.  Within the thread you must add a link to a similar thread on this forum also. Both threads must contain a link to the other thread.

2. Your members will then post approval or disapproval of the proposed change.

3. Once Admin is satisfied that enough time has passed, which is an indeterminate amount of time (mischievous people could wait until an admin has gone on a 2 week holiday and attempt to wrench their forum from them so we have to be careful).

Once Admin is satisfied that all is in order, then the change of ownership can proceed. The new owner will then have access to the forum's control panel.

Again this makes no sense....

1: What stops any member creating a thread in our public section claiming ownership?

2: We have over 1000 registered members of which only about 200 are active participants. How do we get approval or disapproval from all members?

3: Whose admin are we talking about here... yours or ours?
Nick(NR)

Haydn wrote:
Again this makes no sense....

1: What stops any member creating a thread in our public section claiming ownership?

2: We have over 1000 registered members of which only about 200 are active participants. How do we get approval or disapproval from all members?

3: Whose admin are we talking about here... yours or ours?

1: absolutely nothing, but you have come here and you are being asked to create that topic.

2: you don't because that's simply no possible, but if those who are active do support the change of ownership to allow an export to take place, those active members, would surely post to support the change of ownership.

3: ours, he needs to see enough support from your active members in favour of an ownership change on that topic, for him to make that change happen for you, then you'd be able to get an export without issue.
Bravo

What Nick has said is spot on and is almost word for word what I was typing when I noticed he'd already answered.

Just to add, that it is not a small issue to change ownership. People who create the forum are the owners, and it is only over the years that we came up with this system to allow an ownership change after the death of one forum owner a few years ago. It is every forum owners right to leave their forum for a few years if they so desire. Part of the process is that admin will email the original owner of the forum and they will have a chance to respond, if they advise that they support the ownership change then things can go along much more quickly. Each case is different, which is why no promises are given.
spongebobsa

Okay - so I see we will not move forward on this matter other than the ways above mentioned.

What is the process with regards to this post, when could we move with this?
myff admin

Start a change of ownership thread on the support forum, start a public thread on your own forum, link between the two so that there is transparency.
At that point we make what attempt we can to contact the official owner.
Then when we deem it reasonable, and we do try and be reasonable, we will give control panel access to the designated new owner.
myff admin

By public we don't mean guest posting, just guest visible.
spongebobsa

Thanks a million

Here is the message on our forum advising all our members, we have also sent the message out as a mass mail to all our members:
http://renaultsport.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29792

Please advise which support forum you would like me to create the thread in. Thanks
myff admin

phpbb3 general support would do.
Haydn

myff admin wrote:
Start a change of ownership thread on the support forum, start a public thread on your own forum, link between the two so that there is transparency.
At that point we make what attempt we can to contact the official owner.
Then when we deem it reasonable, and we do try and be reasonable, we will give control panel access to the designated new owner.

The new owner would be me...
spongebobsa

MFF Thread as requested:
http://forum.myfreeforum.org/sutra153500.php#153500
spongebobsa

Hi There,
Thank you for assisting us - much appreciated.
Where would I find the option to export a database from the User Panel?
myff admin

Please confirm the email address in the control panel is the new owners and then I will send the export, exports always go to the owner.
Haydn

myff admin wrote:
Please confirm the email address in the control panel is the new owners and then I will send the export, exports always go to the owner.

Good Day,

I have updated the email address in the Control panel.

You may proceed with the DB export.

Thanks,
myff admin

an export should have been sent. Let me know if it has not arrived.
Haydn

myff admin wrote:
an export should have been sent. Let me know if it has not arrived.

Hi There.

I have not received the export.
myff admin

I'm sending again, the export was running but things are so big an out of memory condition stopped you getting the email

sorry about that.
Haydn

Still got nothing...
myff admin

very odd as it is completing without error.

I will try sending to myself.

Are you sure it has not been "junked"?
myff admin

I have forwarded the export email to you, it came through ok for me.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> PhpBB3 General Support
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum