Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
CodyT07

Do you know computer programming?

Next year I go away to college (University I think for the British folks). And I am going to try and major in computer programming. I been reading up on how to program in ..
- Visual Basic
- Java
- C++
Not really computer programming languages but I know..
- PHP
- HTML
- CSS
- Some MySQL

to get a head start on the classes.

I been fiddling around mostly with PHP and made a small but useful CMS. I try to add security measures as you can kind of see in the demo code here

Spoiler:

Code:
<?php
//Makes sure the user is loged in!
if (!isset($_SESSION['login']))
{
//Cause I had star fox 64 on my mind, so I put that instead of 'not logged in.'
echo "something's wrong, there's nothing there!";
}
else
{
//Calls the editor!
//<!-- OF COURSE YOU NEED TO ADAPT NEXT LINE TO YOUR tiny_mce.js PATH -->
echo "<script type='text/javascript' src='http://localhost/backend/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js'></script>";

echo "<script type='text/javascript'>";
echo "tinyMCE.init({";
echo "mode : 'textareas'";
echo "});";
echo "</script>";
echo "</head><body><p>";
//<!-- OF COURSE YOU NEED TO ADAPT ACTION TO WHAT PAGE YOU WANT TO LOAD WHEN HITTING "SAVE" -->
echo "<form method='post' action='inputnews.php'>";
   echo "Todays Date is...";
   echo date("m/d/Y") . "<br />";
   echo "Date: <input type='text' name='date' />";
   echo "<br /> <br />";
   echo "Title: <input type='text' name='title' />";
   echo "<p>";   
      echo "<textarea name='content' cols='50' rows='15'></textarea>";
      echo "<input type='submit' value='Save' />";
   echo "</p>";
echo "</form>";
echo "Welcome" . " " .  $_SESSION['username'];
echo " " . "<a href='login.php'>Go Back to main menu</a>";
}
?>

Mainly works you receive a session only when you successfully log in.

Anyways, what programming/scripting languages do you know? And how do you practice it? Right now I am starting to learn more java, I watch the examples on how to use the function but how do you practice it? I usually start out with a calculator but once I master that what other idea of a program should I try to better understand the language?
myff admin

all of the above  Wink Plus lets see now:

c, abf, javascript, bash, awk, lex, yacc, alex, fortran, pl/sql
CodyT07

myff admin wrote:
all of the above  Wink Plus lets see now:

c, abf, javascript, bash, awk, lex, yacc, alex, fortran, pl/sql

What about python? I see that used a ton in Ubuntu.
But how did you get to learn all that? I can learn easily, get need a way to practice it.
myff admin

Not touched Python.

m4,6502 assembly., InstallShield..

Programming for 30 years means you go from machine code and Fortran4 through to php5!
Daniel(u1bd2005)

I know VB, Html, CSS (finally getting a bit better at css lol) and a bit of php.

Really want to learn Java at some point, but really busy at the moment (working 9am-9:30pm most days lol   )

and the day job is just voluntary.
myff admin

CSS is one of those languages where learning by trial and errors is an awful way of doing it The O'Reilly guide will take you from the basics upwards so you truly understand it. I normally think I can get away with learning by example, but not with CSS.
Nick(NR)

myff admin wrote:
CSS is one of those languages where learning by trial and errors is an awful way of doing it The O'Reilly guide will take you from the basics upwards so you truly understand it. I normally think I can get away with learning by example, but not with CSS.

It's always tweak and revise with css, I've had an issue this week where having a horizontal ordered list, pushed the logo in the div below further left as you hover over the links, a quick padding and height adjustment and it was sorted.

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Off Topic
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum