Archive for myfreeforum.org Before posting please check the "stickies" in the support forums.
Please ask questions in real English and not "txt". You will get a better response.
Please do not ask support questions via PMs.

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
futbolli

Auto-Refresh a component ?

http://futbolli.myfreeforum.org/index.php

How can i auto-refresh only the TOP component that i Have on the right column ?

is it possible?
myff admin

You would need to place an iframe where than portal is, with a web page like:

http://futbolli.myfreeforum.org/refreshedportal.html

in it.

the

refreshedportal.thml

would have something like:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="200;URL=http://futbolli.myfreeforum.org/refreshedportal.html">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
{MYFF.LATEST}
</BODY>
</HTML>
myff admin

Note that auto-refreshing pages will hit the server, we do log what goes on, and if anything like this was to create an issue a forum will be suspended to avoid everyone else suffering.
futbolli

Thanks

I created the webpage http://futbolli.myfreeforum.org/refreshportal.html

What code would I enter now in cms_index_body.tpl instead of

Code:
<tr><td>{MYFF.TOP}</td></tr>

to get the webpage to show?
futbolli

admin (no pm's please) wrote:
Note that auto-refreshing pages will hit the server, we do log what goes on, and if anything like this was to create an issue a forum will be suspended to avoid everyone else suffering.

Oh thanks for letting me know.

Even if it is just a component with three posts that refreshes, still might be a problem for the server ?
myff admin

To answer both questions, to the first one of what code to use, the simple answer is that I don't know exactly.

I can't just produce complex html correctly off the top of my head, we recommend people who want to play with complex stuff do learn the html needed.

As for what is a problem, 3 posts refreshing every 5 minutes on a page view by a few dozen people might not be a problem, if that page is refreshing every 30 seconds and has 100's of viewers it would be a different story, personally I am against such pages, I think if a user wants a refresh then let them press F5 when they want to see it.
futbolli

To answer both questions, to the first one of what code to use, the simple answer is that I don't know exactly.

I can't just produce complex html correctly off the top of my head, we recommend people who want to play with complex stuff do learn the html needed.

As for what is a problem, 3 posts refreshing every 5 minutes on a page view by a few dozen people might not be a problem, if that page is refreshing every 30 seconds and has 100's of viewers it would be a different story, personally I am against such pages, I think if a user wants a refresh then let them press F5 when they want to see it.

It was for a live score, that's why I wanted to refresh it automatically, but I dont want to risk it, so I'll just forget the idea.

Thanks for your time though.
myff admin

If it is for a live score presumably it is not aimed at our server at all  

But other servers might have the same issue with it!

But do not take my comments as a threat, we are not out to get our members, my comments are simply something that makes sense to have on the record.
futbolli

If it is for a live score presumably it is not aimed at our server at all  

But other servers might have the same issue with it!

But do not take my comments as a threat, we are not out to get our members, my comments are simply something that makes sense to have on the record.

No i didnt take them as a threat. Since it might not be an issue then with the servers, I might try. I'll take a look at the html code I need to use.

Thanks

myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Portal components
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum